TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301322124

From: Pierce Reid <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG Digest, Vol 6, Issue 250
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 07:22:04 -0700 (PDT)

And what about my mother, who was just called "baby" on her birth certificate and for the first couple of months of her life, until her grandmother put her foot down and said "She must have a name". I don't know when her name was first put on any "official" document.

When she applied for Social Security, she had to have her older sister sign an affidavit saying that "baby" on the birth certificate was my mother.

She and her sisters were not given middle names because it was expected that they would use their maiden name as a middle name after they married (which they all did). Then many years after we moved to Quebec, the provincial government decided married women would be known on official documents by their maiden name, which she really had not used for most of her life.

Pierce