TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301421976

From: "Michael J. Hannah" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] re irregular date
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 12:06:16 -0600

Pierce Reid wished:
> What I would want in that case is to put a "[sic]" after the date,
> to acknowledge that this is what I read (assuming it is clear
> enough to be sure) and I know it is incorrect.
> However, I would also want to be able to have a real date to be
> used for some reports (where a standard date structure is required)
> and to calculate age. However, I don't think that is possible with
> TMG (it is with Ultimate Family Tree).

There are (at least?) two ways to do this in TMG. First you could
simply enter the recorded "incorrect" date as text along with the [sic]
instead of using the [D] variable in this tag's sentence. One of the
few times I might do a local change, but it may be warrented. Then the
narrative reports will output the "incorrect" date with the [sic], yet
your concluded "real" date entered in the date field of the tag works
for those other reports that need a "real" date or to calculate age.

Alternatively, especially if I have multiple sources to suggest various
dates, I would put the recorded date with "[sic]" only in the Citation
Detail. I would put my concluded "real" date in the tag date field so
it works as needed, and leave the sentences to use that concluded date.

For either case I would add a comment in that source's Citation Memo of
my reasoning why I believe this source's date is incorrect and why I
concluded the date that I chose to enter. (My footnote templates
include [CM].)

Hope this gives you ideas,

Michael

This thread: