TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301433367

From: Pierce Reid <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] re irregular date
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 14:16:07 -0700 (PDT)

Rick,
My suggestion cannot work in TMG because it will treat a non-leap year Feb 29 as irregular.

It does work in UFT because UFT does not have the concept of "irregular dates". It has a free-form date that can be anything you want. If UFT can figure out a real date from what you enter, it puts that in its "structured date" field (what TMG calls a regular date) as well as in a sort date. If it can't figure out what date you mean, you can enter your own structured date and sort date. These dates can be completely independent of each other if that is what you want.

If you want your Journal type report to print the date as you read it, but it is what TMG calls an "irregular date", and you want charts, etc. to print a real date, you cannot do that in TMG. You can in UFT.

(TMG has a number of date range formats that are considered "regular dates". The same types of dates are acceptable as a free-form date in UFT, but will usually produce a structured date field containing just the first date of the range. It will still work the way you want it for Journal type reports, but it won't be quite correct for some charts.)

Pierce

Rick Van Dusen <>

Perfect! That's what I would have suggested if I'd thought of it.

The tag will sort on the Sort Date (if it's a regular date). The
irregular date will not work for age calculation.

Pierce Reid wrote:
> Linda Rosedahl wrote:
>
> <<Rechecked the death record from Sweden It was Feb. 29 1767. So she either
> died on the 28th or March 1. The Priest wrote this so who knows. It does
> make sense and I had forgotten the rule about Feb 29th. Thanks for the
> clarification.>>
>
> What I would want in that case is to put a "[sic]" after the date, to acknowledge that this is what I read (assuming it is clear enough to be sure) and I know it is incorrect. However, I would also want to be able to have a real date to be used for some reports (where a standard date structure is required) and to calculate age. However, I don't think that is possible with TMG (it is with Ultimate Family Tree).
>
> Pierce

This thread: