TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-03 > 1301547547

From: "Cheryl Freeman" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Evidence and conclusions
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 23:59:07 -0500

Ddssll,

As I said, I have assumptions in my project. Most do not see the light of
day, because they are exactly that...assumptions. They stay buried in my
research notes and in CDs that do not print. Hypothesis might be a better
word for these. My hypthesese drive my research and are rarely shared
publicly.

That, to me, is a world different than reasoned conclusions where I have
completed an exhaustive survey of available primary and secondary source
documents and followed the steps in the GPS standard to arrive at a reasoned
conclusion supported by the evidence which I can explain...and defend.

There seem to be two discussions here - that we shold not draw conclusions
but report all the available evidence. I am a believer that when possible,
we should complete a reasonably exhanstive search for evidenc, analyse the
results, resolve any conflecting eveidence and only then draw conclusions
which are properly documented.

I think we are on the same side :)

I still don't' know who my husband's 4-gr grandfather was. I have a working
hypothesis - assumption, if you will- which is well thought out and rarely
shared with other researchers. However, I do know why deeds for another
Freeman (as transcribed in the deed books) were dated 7 years after his
death 9n 1770. That is a conclusion after a review of all the evidence and
ruling out other possible explanations. There is a dfference. And when I
replied, it was documentation that meets the GPS standard on my mind, and
not "assumptions".

Of