TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-04 > 1303248676

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] Wish List: Compound First Names
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 17:31:16 -0400

Teresa Elliott wrote:
> But I don't see as that going away from what Dorreen would be
> asking really. I'd want the NB code to show so I'd know a name
> tag had been corrected or not. Maybe Dorreen wouldn't.

Teresa,

My point was that there are some side effects of using formatting codes in
names and Doreen should be aware of them. I don't think they are major
issues, but Doreen should decide for herself. The biggest issue for me is
that searching in the picklist is affected by the [ITAL:] / [:ITAL] code I
use for ship names; to find a ship, I have to remember to key "[ITAL..."
when I open the picklist. That's annoying, and I may change my approach
because of it even though I've been doing it for years.

> Does SS treat [BOLD:]John[:BOLD] as a different name than
> John? If so, why?

Well, it doesn't treat them differently but they are not the same thing, and
so they won't appear as the same thing. Why? Because they _are_ different.
<g> Put another way, SS has no special treatment for names with formatting
codes in them. It would need special rules to ignore the formatting codes.

John

This thread: