TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-04 > 1303569056

From: "John Cardinal" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] FTM cleanup
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 10:30:56 -0400

Rick Van Dusen wrote:
> To see why I thought the occupation should be entered as
> "Farmer" rather than "a farmer"

Rick,

There is another solution besides changing the contents of the memo. I
prefer to have my Occupation memos contain the word or phrase without any
leading article, i.e., I use "farmer" not "a farmer". I have adjusted the
sentence for the Principal role to include the article:

[P] <was a|and [PO] were> [M] <[L]> <[D]>

That doesn't work when the occupation begins with a vowel, such as
"electrician". In those cases, I have a role "PrincipalAn":

[P] <was an|and [PO] were> [M] <[L]> <[D]>

I have a few other roles that vary the treatment of the article and other
text in the sentence. I don't spend much time or effort on the
dual-principal sentences because I rarely use occupation tags with two
principals. When I do, I often adjust the local sentence.

John

This thread: