TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-12 > 1323973326

From: "Thee Johansens" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT - When did we start? (was: members in their 80s)
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 11:22:06 -0700

> On 12/14/2011 9:20 PM, Kay & JW (Bill) Sturgeon OAM wrote:
>> Listees,
>> It might be interesting to know at what age we all started doing our
>> family history, and then the big one, when did we actually start
>> recording it as we do now.

WHEN, WHERE, HOW

Well, I reckon I first got interested (though I didn't know it at the time),
in my pre-teen years when we all met yearly in Florence, CO for my
Grandfathers birthday. He was my last grandparent alive.
It was really a family reunion with folks travelling in from near and far.

I joined the Navy in 1960 and it was then that I started wondering just
who all those people were at those "birthday party's".
Aunts, Uncles, cousins ? ? ? Some "Greats", 1st & 2nds even.
I started writing my mother asking her questions and she would
answer each question (one at a time). Most of this communication
with my mother would take place at sea, on deck, under the nighttime
stars.

SOURCES ? ? ? Well like so many of you, I did keep the letters my
mother wrote. I also kept my own notes.

Later, living in CA, I started trying to put the jug saw puzzle
together, collecting Birth & Death certificates, etc. etc.
It was during this period that I found the Family Group Sheets
that the Mormon church had printed up. WHAT A HELP ! ! !
It was about the same time that I found out that my mother
had a spiral bound "notebook" that she had written down (when
& where) who was born and died. WOW, what a find. She was
happy to give me a copy of all. Some other notes also.
She only had two errors that I can confirm, One name misspelled
and one birth date off by one year.

I started using timelines and Family History Sheets for all my work.
All in longhand. Now I was off and running.

Like Wayne, I made one big mistake. While in my first marriage,
we uncovered a first marriage for her father. Her parents almost
exploded when we happily showed them our findings.
Per her mother, "Some things are PRIVATE ! ! !" ect. etc.

When I re-located back to CO in the mid eighties, I got even more
serious. My father had been orphaned when he was about 4 yrs.
old in Norway. He had saved several of his fathers business letters
(orders for his business) and a few letters from friends, along with
numerous post "cards" from his sister (still in Norway).
My greatest achievement came in the last ten years when I finally
found my fathers mother (MY Grandmother); her name; birthplace;
death.
My father had never been told her name. She had been born in
Germany and I believe that the Germans and Norwegians didn't
get together too good during my fathers childhood, so good
records were hard to come by.

First S/W program was TMG 3.5 or 4 ??
Hank
P.S. The guilty party, my Grandfather died while I was in the
US Navy. I was told that he considered me his favorite
grandchild as I had sent him an 8 X 10 picture of me and
my ship.
With all his "school sized" pictures of grandchildren on his wall,
mine was the only one he could see clearly with his old eyes.

This thread: