TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-12 > 1323985227

From: Marsha Ensminger <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] List members in their 80s... - Now Age when started - OT
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 13:40:27 -0800 (PST)

Perhaps I had an unfair advantage, as one of my grandparents died 16 years before I was born, and the other half of that pair when I was 10...

I can remember sitting in the living room, having my father draw a family "tree" showing the names of his father's siblings, and ordering them by age (no dates included - don't think he knew them). I'm not sure if he knew his grandfather's given name, as the gentleman died four years before he (my father) was born... We moved out of that house a couple of months before I turned 14. (Six of the eight great-aunts and uncles died before I was born. I think I was trying to understand why my father had SO MANY first cousins).

I first encountered German spelling in the first half of my high-school years, when my father's mother went through her "Birthday Book" and filled in the birth dates. "What do you mean, "Season" is spelled "Suessen"???

(Took German the last two years of high school.)

Before I graduated from high school, I was left in an unfamiliar library for several hours, while my mother attended a meeting. Ended up with a book about genealogical numbering systems, and decided that Henry numbers made the most sense to me.

Graduated HS in 1972. Didn't do much genealogically for the next decade or so, but did obtain a university degree in History.

1980 - married someone whose surname had a book done about it in the 1950's (unsourced) AND whose father had possession of the family record book begun in 1824 and maintained by following generations.

Mid 1980's - husband bought a 286 desktop computer. He then bought three genealogy programs at a 50 cents/diskette store, played with them, and declared Brother's Keeper the winner. (Don't have a clue what the other two were. These were the 5" floppies.)

1994 - switched to TMG 3.x because I was frustrated by the 45 character limit on place names in BK, and understood TMG had much better sourcing. I still like BK's Henry numbered descendant report better than TMG's, however.

Marsha L. Ensminger

This thread: