TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-12 > 1325030656

From: Dennis Lee Bieber <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] TMG 8 Backup Error with Exhibits
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 19:04:16 -0500

At 01:27 PM 12/27/2011, Teresa Elliott wrote:
>David,
>I never backup exhibits within TMG, so I wouldn't worry about that too much.
>Just get an external drive and back up your exhibit folder to it when you
>have saved a ton of exhibits. TMG backs up the links and that's all you
>really need.

I'd go a step further and suggest also buying a true
stand-alone back-up utility program which can do
Full/Incremental[only files changed since last
full/incremental]/Differential[all changed files since last full] backups.

Such utilities should have no difficulties with file sizes,
since they often are designed to permit spanning a backup over
multiple volumes (remember 720kB floppies?, 100MB ZIP drives?). They
can also be set up to run automatically in the dark hours of the
morning (if your backup media and computer are always on).

Use the TMG backup process whenever you've done work on a
project, and run the dedicated backup utility at regular intervals to
capture all changes to the file-system. Most such utilities allow for
restores to be on an individual file basis, if you've corrupted/lost
just a few files. (My current laptop is using Acronis True Image --
though I need to get the external drive out of the garage to use it;
my XP machine has NTI Backup Now; my previous system used Veritas
Backup Exec before Symantec turned it into an enterprise-only
server-based backup system).

This thread: