TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2011-12 > 1325296268

From: "Kay & JW (Bill) Sturgeon OAM" <>
Subject: Re: [TMG] OT -- advice for buying a new computer
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2011 12:51:10 +1100

Joan,
Another consideration when moving from Xp most likely to Win 7, is that
unless you own your own Office Suite that includes Outlook, Outlook
Express is not part of the Win7 package. You will need your own email
program - my workaround was Mozilla Thunderbird (free program) now
vers.8. I did not install all the bells and whistles, what I installed
was the basics which is almost a mirror image of Outlook Express. I
have been using it since for 1 1/2 years without a problem.

I think Win7 is brilliant after using Vista which was a backward step
from XP SP3 from my point of view. Many Win7 features can be made to
look like XP if you want to, don't ask me now, I have forgotten. I have
always felt we must move on with the evolution of electronics, I just
bought a prepaid android phone to replace my palm zire as got tired of
syncing with a very tired XP laptop I kept going for that usage.

Kay

> Hi list,
>
> Sometime in the New Year I would like to invest in a new computer with the
> power to handle my expanding TMG data plus pictures and other data, for the
> next few (I hope several) years.
> Not urgent -- my 6-yr-old XP still works, if with reduced capability. Would

-- Family History Tips http://golgolgirl.blogspot.com/

This thread: