TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2014-07 > 1406683716

From: Bob Velke <>
Subject: [TMG] TMG to be discontinued
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2014 21:28:36 -0400

ANNOUNCEMENT

I am sad to report that the decision has been made to discontinue The
Master Genealogist ("TMG").

While thousands of TMG users appreciate the program’s many powerful
features that are unmatched in other software, the market for those
advanced features has proved to be insufficient to support the
infrastructure that is necessary to support it and continue development.
A variety of my own health issues have also contributed to this
decision as I have fewer opportunities to focus on the things that would
be necessary to develop and market the program.

There is every reason to believe that TMG will continue to work for
existing users for the foreseeable future but official support will end
at the end of 2014, although we may release some more bug fixes (but no
new features) before that. In the interest of those who may want to
communicate their data to family members or upgrade to the latest
release, we will continue to sell the full product and updates through
September with the understanding that product development has been
discontinued.

After the end of the year, I expect to maintain the support forum which
would be available for user-to-user support. Other online support
forums, including the TMG-L mailing list, are also available to users.

For 25 years, TMG has repeatedly pushed the boundaries of genealogical
software and promoted the highest principles of scholarship in
record-keeping and reporting. It has encouraged users to expect more
from their family tree software, especially in the area of source
citations, and the industry has responded by setting new and higher
standards in its suite of “standard features.” To lesser degrees,
programs have begun to emulate some of TMG’s other innovative features,
including its powerful filtering/searching functions, flags,
customizable screen layouts, shared events (i.e., witnesses), and
narrative output options.

As genealogical data has become more sophisticated, researchers have
been increasingly confronted with the many limitations of GEDCOM in
transferring that data. For more than two decades, our GenBridge
technology has demonstrated that much more complete and accurate
transfers can be achieved through direct imports. Other family tree
programs have implemented the GenBridge technology or developed similar
direct-import strategies, resulting in the preservation of precious data
for countless researchers.

I am proud of the leadership role that TMG has played in the evolution
of genealogical software and I encourage TMG users to continue to press
developers to raise their standards and implement features that allow
researchers to do the same.

In the interest of preserving users’ data, I have released a document
that details TMG’s internal file structure and I will make GenBridge
available for free to developers who wish to produce a direct import
from TMG insofar as their programs support the same features.

It goes without saying that this has been a painful decision and is a
significant milestone for me. TMG has been a major part of my life for
more than 25 years and it is not easy to let it go. I recognize too and
regret the degree to which it may leave researchers uneasy about the
future of their data and the prospects for their research tools. I am
taking a necessary step back from the genealogical community but with
the hope that my contribution to it has left researchers better equipped
to accomplish their research goals.

Bob Velke
Owner
Wholly Genes, Inc.