TMG-L Archives

Archiver > TMG > 2015-09 > 1443206815

From: Mark Norton <>
Subject: [TMG] Indexing Names in Memos
Date: Fri, 25 Sep 2015 11:46:55 -0700

I'm wondering if someone can help me with a problem placing indexing
codes. I'm trying to index people mentioned in memo fields. I'm using the
coding referencing the person's number in that family file, for example
(for the file's person number 392): "[INDEX:]People:#392[:INDEX]"

When I then do a journal report in Word, and then generate the index,
instead of giving that person's name and dates, the index gives an entry of
: "People #392" followed by the page number the name occurs on—not
mentioning the person's name and dates in the index.

I'm using TMG 8. Am I doing something wrong, or did this feature go
defunct with the passing of an earlier generation of TMG? If so, is there
some kind of workaround I could do to be able to use the person number for
this? Entering index coding with each person's name and dates directly
into the memo field would be a **lot* more work (especially for females
with multiple married names), and would definitely result in more errors.

I appreciate any help.

This thread: