TN-NATIVEAMERICAN-L Archives

Archiver > TN-NATIVEAMERICAN > 2006-09 > 1159146566

From: "Shirley Antrim" <>
Subject: [TN-NATIVEAMERICAN] Thomas Henry Clark of Blount Co., TN - 1860s
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:09:26 -0500

Such wonderful activity on this site, more than I have ever seen - so I thought this might be a good time to 'start' my native american heritage search. We've always been told our heritage is Cherokee.

Thomas Henry Clark is supposed to be my great great Grandfather. He could have been born in Georgia or Tennessee.
His daughter, Martha Jane Clark born abt 1850/52, married Robert Thomas Dunn abt 1871 we believe in the Memphis area, however their first child, Annie, was born in Boyd Co., KY in 1872. I have a picture of Martha Jane Clark Dunn taken abt 1903 in Hickory Co., MO. She certainly has Native American features, as do several of her children, most specifically Martha and Robert's son, Rhadamanthus H. Dunn.
Martha Jane had a sister known as 'Aunt Deanie.'
The family story goes thusly; Robert was abt 17 when the Confederate soldiers approached him in the front yard of his Mother's home near Maryville, Blount Co., TN.
With his older brother, Rhadamanthus H., already involved in fighting for the North, and his sister, Cynthia, heading up the Home Guard, Robert had been designated as caretaker of their widowed Mother and the homeplace. Ordered to get his things and come with the soldiers, Robert said goodbye to his Mother, slipped out the back of the house, and never returned home.
We have been told he probably went to the Indians who helped him stay hidden. Thomas Henry Clark is supposed to have been a trader in the Knox/Blount Co. area so would have been known. The Boyd Co., KY connection was with Robert's Aunt's husband's family. The Parham family owned cloth mills in Knox Co., TN and a store in Boyd Co., KY.
If anyone knows anything concerning this Thomas Henry Clark and his ancestry, I would really appreciate hearing from you.
Thanks, Shirley Antrim

This thread: