TN-UPPER-CUMBERLAND-L Archives

Archiver > TN-UPPER-CUMBERLAND > 2001-03 > 0983904238

From: "L Bennett" <>
Subject: [TN-UP-CUMB] Seahorn/Sehorn and other related familes
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 13:43:58 -0500

Here is a bit of Sehorn data with some other families mixed in. These families
later lived in Overton County area. Descendants in the Overton county area are
affiliated with some of these surnames Sehorn/Seahorn, Walker, Graham,
Turnley, Officer, Copeland, Pugh, Lee/Lea, Ray, Finley, Welch, Verble, Watson,
Clouse, Chaney, Smith, etc.

A man named Nicholas Sehorn/Seahorn/Zehorn (I will call him the Nicholas I.)
lived in the Shenandoah Valley near Staunton VA. He had three known children,
John, Nicholas Junior, and Catherine. This Catherine is suppose to have been
killed by Indians or it may have been her aunt.
A Catherine Sehorn who would have been about the right age is reported to have
married a Copeland. However I do not have any proof of this marriage or that
she was either a child or sister of Nicholas I.
Nicholas I son, John Sehorn, served migrated to the French Broad Settlement at
the encouragement of his friend/associate John Sevier who later became the
Governor of the Lost State of Franklin and the Governor of Tennessee. He
wanted John Sehorn to help him in the establishment of the Lost State of
Franklin. For his support and efforts he was appointed top serve as the Land
Recorder for the Lost State of Franklin under Sevier.
John Sehorn operated the Sehorn Ferry (Later the Haynes Ferry) across the
French Broad River and a large creek located there is now called Sehorn Creek.
Today the original land is under Douglas Lake. However it is easy to see where
it once was. At the mouth of Sehorn Creek at the French Broad River is the
Swann Boat dock. It is also within site and very near (on the Dandridge side)
where I-40 Bridge and the Swann Bridge on US 25 & 70 crosses the French Broad
River. A later generation Sehorn married a Swann...
John Sehorn was active in the community and served at one time as a Justice of
the Peace. He had several children. One of these children was John Sehorn, JR
who married the daughter of George Graham, Mary "Polly" Graham. Her parents,
George and Mary Turnley Graham lived in area on the north side of John
Sehorn's ferry. Her John and Mary Turnley, her grandparents, lived on the
South side of the French Broad River near the Sehorn ferry and Taylor's Bend.
The land is now under Douglas Lake. All of the families mentioned here were
part of the original French Broad settlers. Tax Records place George Graham
with 260 acres and paying 1 poll in 1785 in then Greene County. Later this
part of Greene County became Jefferson County.
In 1801 John and "Polly" Graham Sehorn, JR moved to Standing Stone near
present day Monterey, TN and operated an the Standing Stone Inn. Tax Records
for 1801 and a note from the Governor's Journal dated June 1801 place him
there. John Sehorn died in 1809.
Mary Polly Graham later married Benjamin Walker, JR. This is my line. Mary
Polly Graham and George and Elizabeth Turnely Graham are my ancestors.

The Nicholas Sehorn, JR was a brother of John Sehorn who moved to present day
Jefferson County. About the time John moved to the French Broad Settlement,
Nicholas, JR moved to South Carolina. He married a Miss Ponder. They had
several children before he died. (I believe his wife died about the same
time.) Several of their children, including John Ponder Sehorn, went to live
with their Uncle John Sehorn in Jefferson County. Many of the later Jefferson
County Sehorns are descended from John and Nicholas, JR.

The following is speculation.
State of Franklin and Tennessee Governor John Sevier was an avid Indian
fighter. He fought as far south as northern Florida. He needed supplies to
support his army. So trusted friends were needed to help in his efforts. It is
possible that Nicholas, JR's move to South Carolina and John's move to the
French Broad could have been part of this supply line. I know that the Graham
and Turnley families made trips into both Kentucky and then to South Carolina
to purchase and sell supplies. This was done over land on very poor roads
which had many outlaws. One successful trip, one of the Turnley's had hollowed
out the interim of the wagon wheel and after the sale. The money was hid there
for the return trip home. When they were robbed the money was not found and
the man
and his wife returned home unharmed.
There is a good Sehorn family file at the Jefferson County Public library at
Dandridge, TN. The Jefferson County Archives has good data also.

---