TNCAMPBE-L Archives

Archiver > TNCAMPBE > 2004-06 > 1086510629

Subject: Thomas M. Smith Family, in and around Jellico area.
Date: Sun, 6 Jun 2004 04:30:29 EDT

I am still researching this SMITH family and finding more and more each day
and hoping others can add to this large family. I am a SMITH researcher and my
SMITH's were in and around the Campbell Co, TN area and so were a few other
clans of SMITH's. So to keep them separated, I am using the SMYTH spelling for
these SMITH's from this line.

For some reason, I am having trouble finding this family in the 1870 Census.
They are just not in any census in TN or KY. I think they just were missed
that year.

I do have some questions that I put into my notes. I hope someone out there
can answer them. This info has in no way been proven, all the way, by any
means, but it is a start. I have included all my notes. Please add to or correct,
if possible.

Descendants of Thomas M. Smyth
Generation No. 1

1. REV. THOMAS M.4 SMYTH (JAMES C.3, JOSIAH2, JOHN1) was born November 22,
1827 in Whitley Co, KY, and died January 04, 1888 in Jellico, Campbell Co, TN.
He married (1) CHARLOTTE CORDELL February 16, 1848 in Whitley Co, KY, daughter
of STEPHEN CANDELL/CORDELL. She was born December 21, 1829 in GA, and died
August 06, 1862 in Whitley Co, KY. He married (2) DELPHIA HACKLER January 14,
1863 in Campbell Co, TN, daughter of AARON HACKLER and LUCY COX. She was born
July 03, 1834 in Campbell Co, TN, and died March 04, 1921 in Campbell Co, TN.

Notes for REV. THOMAS M. SMYTH:
I have been told that he was a Baptist Minister, a farmer, merchant, and
Justice of the Peace. Does any one know what church he was affiliated with, what
type of merchant and when he served as Justice. I also was told that he served
3 months in the Burnsides Brigade. Dose anyone have any other info on his
Military life. What Reg. would this be with.

I believe his middle name might have been Meadows or Meadors, after his
Mother's name. I have also seen him as Thomas D. Smith but I believe this is a
mistake (See OBIT). ==========================================================
While looking for info on Thomas M. Smith, I came across this info and
thought that it might help in some way. It was taken from Campbell County Tennessee
USA by Miller McDonald Vol II.
Josiah Smith and his brother, Thomas D. Smith, (I believe this is Thomas M.
Smith), moved to the flat areas on Elk Fork Creek from Whitley Co, KY. The
Smith brothers along with Richard Perkins made up the original families that
permanently settled the Jellico area. Josiah Smith succeeded in having a post
office relocated from Pine Knott, KY, to his new home and he name the post office
"Smithburg" Josiah's brother, Thomas, became the postmaster on 29 Oct. 1878.
The name of the town was later changed to Jellico.
1830 Census of
***James Smith, does not show up on any census of KY or TN. He is not listed
with his parents either. He married Nancy Meadows, April 20, 1826, in Whitley
Co, KY. He should be in that census. He does show up in the 1840 census of
Whitley Co, KY. In the 1830 census, he should be listed as abt 25 yrs of age,
with 3 Males-5 and under, and wife, abt 25 yrs of age.
1840 Census of Whitley Co, KY
Smith, James 112101/110001
1 Male Under 5 yrs of age (Calvin Smyth (3-4))
1 Male 5 and Under 10 yrs of age (Andrew Jackson Smyth (8))
2 Males 10 and Under 15 yrs of age(Joseph Smith (11) and Thomas M. Smith (13))
1 Male 15 and Under 20 yrs of age (William Riley Smyth (15))
1 Male 30 and Under 40 yrs of age (James Smith (35))
1 Female Under 5 yrs of age (Elizabeth 'Betty' Smyth (2))
1 Female 5 and Under 10 yrs of age (Emily Jane Smyth (6))
1 Female 30 and Under 40 yrs of age(Nancy Meadows Smith (33))
1850 Census of Whitley Co, KY, Dist 1
Thomas Smith 22 M Farmer 250 000 KY
Charlotte Smith 21 F KY
Nancy Smith 02 F KY
James Smirth 01 M KY
1860 Census of Whitley Co, KY, Whitley
Household and Family #1023/935
Thomas Smith 32 M Farmer 600 1000 KY
Lotty Smith 31 F
KY
Nancy Smith 11 F
KY
James Smith 10 M
KY
Rily Smith 09 M
KY
Emily Smith 07 F
KY
Sarah Smith 06 F
KY
Stephen Smith 02 M KY
Josiah Smith 9/12 M
KY
***Charlotte Cordell Smith died August 06, 1862. I believe they were living
in Whitley Co, KY at that time. She most likely is buried in Whitley Co, KY.
Thomas then moved to Campbell Co, TN area and five months after his first wife's
death, he married Delphia Hackler from Campbell Co, TN, on January 14, 1863,
in Campbell Co, TN. Thomas B. Smith died April 27, 1863, and will not show up
in any census.
1870 Census of
I cannot find him in any of the census for this year. He should be in the
Campbell Co, TN Census since he married Delphia, in 1863, in Campbell Co, TN and
she was from this area. Delphia's mother is listed in this census but they are
not. I think they were missed this year.
Should be
Thomas M. Smith 42
Delphia Smith 36
Nancy Smith 21 (She may be married by this time)
James Smith 20 (He may be married by this time)
Riley Smith 19 (He may be married by this time)
Emily Smith 17 (She may be married by this time)
Sarah Smith 16 (She may be married by this time)
Stephen Smith 12
Josiah Smith 10 or 11
Aaron Smith 06
Lucy Smith 04
Andrew J. Smith 02
Matthew Smith Newborn
1880 Census of Campbell Co, TN, Lower Elk Valley
Thomas M. SMITH Self M Male W 52 TN Clerk In Store KY KY
Delphia SMITH Wife M FemaleW46 TN Keeping House VA NC
Aaron SMITH Son S Male W16 TN Works On Farm KY TN
Lucy SMITH Dau S FemaleW14 KY At Home KY TN
Andrew J. SMITH Son S Male W12 KY At Home KY TN
Matthew SMITH Son S Male W10 KY KY TN
Anna SMITH Dau S FemaleW08 KY KY TN
U. S. Grant SMITHSon S Male W06 TN KY TN
Edward SMITH Son S Male W05 TN KY TN
Melinda SMITH Dau S FemaleW03 TN KY TN
Elarado SMITH Dau S FemaleW5M TN KY TN
***Thomas M. Smith will died January 04, 1888. Matthew Smith will died by a
train accident in 1889.
Taken from Campbell County Tennessee Obit Booke by, Paul LaMasters,
T. M. SMITH
Knoxville Daily Sentinel, Monday, Jan 16, 1888, Vol. III, #23
JELLICO
T. M. SMITH, a good citizen and a staunch friend of the Sentinel, was buried
here on the 5th inst. His business is still carried on by his sons.
More About REV. THOMAS M. SMYTH:
Burial: January 05, 1888, the old Smith Section of the Jellico City Cemetery,
Campbell Co, TN

More About THOMAS SMYTH and CHARLOTTE CORDELL:
Marriage: February 16, 1848, Whitley Co, KY

Notes for DELPHIA HACKLER:
1850 Census of Campbell Co, TN
Household and Family #803/803
Hackler, Aaron 47 M Farmer 1000 VA
Hackler, Lucy 47 F NC
Hackler, Braxton 24 M Farmer KY
Hackler, Elizabeth 23 F KY
Hackler, Rosannah 19 F TN
Hackler, Delpha A. 16 F TN
Hackler, Samuel 14 M TN
Hackler, George 11 M TN
Hackler, Mathew 09 M TN
Hackler, John 07 M TN
Hackler, Nancy 05 F TN
1860 Census of Campbell Co, TN
Household and Family #738/731
HACKLER, Lucey 56 F 1200 300 NC
HACKLER, Elisabeth 34 F KY
HACKLER, Delphia 25 F TN
HACKLER, George 21 M Farm Laborer TN
HACKLER, Mathew 18 M Farm Laborer TN
HACKLER, John 16 M Farm Laborer TN
HACKLER, Nancey 14 F TN
***Delphia Hackler married Thomas M. Smith, January 14, 1863, Campbell Co, TN.
More About DELPHIA HACKLER:
Burial: March 1921, the old Smith Section of the Jellico City Cemetery,
Campbell Co, TN

More About THOMAS SMYTH and DELPHIA HACKLER:
Marriage: January 14, 1863, Campbell Co, TN

Children of THOMAS SMYTH and CHARLOTTE CORDELL are:
i. NANCY5 SMITH, b. December 1848, Whitley Co, KY.
ii. JAMES M. SMYTH, b. 1850, Whitley Co, KY.
iii. WILLIAM RILEY SMYTH, b. 1852, Whitley Co, KY.
iv. EMILY SMITH, b. 1853, Whitley Co, KY.
v. SARAH SMITH, b. 1854, Whitley Co, KY.
vi. STEPHEN M. SMYTH, b. August 05, 1858, Whitley Co, KY.
vii. JOSIAH 'ISAIAH' SMITH, b. October 25, 1860, Whitley Co, KY.
viii. THOMAS B. SMITH, b. November 17, 1861, Whitley Co, KY; d. April
27, 1863, Campbell Co TN.
Notes for THOMAS B. SMITH:
Thomas B. Smith was the youngest child born to Thomas M. and Charlotte
Cordell Smith. He was born November 17, 1861, Whitley Co, KY. His mother died nine
months later, August 6, 1862, Whitley Co, KY. He died eight months after her
death, April 27, 1863, Whitley co, KY, at age 17 months. I wonder if she was
with child when she died or if there was an outbreak of something to cause the
deaths. Of course, this was during the Civil War time period. Five months after
Charlotte's death, Thomas married Delphia Hackler, January 14, 1863, Campbell
Co, TN. So Delphia was raising the infant, Thomas. They had already moved to
the Jellico area of Campbell Co, TN. I believe he is buried with his mother in
Whitley Co, Ky as is his other siblings.

Children of THOMAS SMYTH and DELPHIA HACKLER are:
ix. AARON5 SMYTH, b. 1864.
x. LUCY SMYTH, b. 1866.
xi. ANDREW JACKSON SMYTH, b. November 25, 1867, Jellico, Campbell Co,
TN; d. September 27, 1908, Jellico, Campbell Co, TN.
More About ANDREW JACKSON SMYTH:
Burial: September 1908, the old Smith Section of the Jellico City Cemetery,
Campbell Co, TN
xii. MATTHEW C. SMYTH, b. March 03, 1869, Jellico, Campbell Co, TN; d.
October 15, 1889, Jellico, Campbell Co, TN.
Notes for MATTHEW C. SMYTH:
Taken from Campbell County Tennessee Obituaries 1821-1889, by Paul W.
LeMasters
MATT SMITH
Knoxville Daily Journal, Wed., 16 Oct 1889, Vol V, # 219
Fatal Accident At Jellico: Jellico, October 15, at eleven o'clock last night
a fatal accident occurred in the yards here. MATT SMITH, a switchman, was
instantly killed while coupling cars.
MATT SMITH
Knoxville Daily Journal, Wed., 16 Oct 1889, Vol V, # 219
Instantly Killed: A Prominent Young Man Under The Wheels at Jellico. Jellico,
Tennessee, October 15, an unfortunate accident occured here last night,
resulting in the death of young MATT SMITH, belonging to one of the first families
in Campbell County, Tenn. Young SMITH became enamored of railroad life a short
time since, and was employed here as switchman. Last night, while engaged in
making a switch, his foot got caught in a frog and before the car could be
stopped, he was thrown under the wheels and instantly killed. He was the son of a
well known clergyman throughtout this section. He was about twenty-one years
old. His remains were interred here this afternoon.
More About MATTHEW C. SMYTH:
Burial: October 1889, the old Smith Section of the Jellico City Cemetery,
Campbell Co, TN
Cause of Death: Ran over by wheels of a train he was working on.
xiii. ANNA SMYTH, b. 1870.
xiv. U S GRANT SMITH, b. August 15, 1872, Jellico, Campbell Co, TN; d.
June 14, 1906, Jellico, Campbell Co, TN.
More About U S GRANT SMITH:
Burial: June 1906, the old Smith Section of the Jellico City Cemetery,
Campbell Co, TN
xv. EDWARD PRESTON SMYTH, b. March 13, 1874, Jellico, Campbell Co, TN;
d. February 08, 1958, Jellico, Campbell Co, TN.
More About EDWARD PRESTON SMYTH:
Burial: February 1958, the old Smith Section of the Jellico City Cemetery,
Campbell Co, TN
xvi. MELINDA SMYTH, b. 1877.
xvii. ELARADO SMYTH, b. 1880.

This thread: