TNCANNON-L Archives

Archiver > TNCANNON > 2006-03 > 1142952013

From: Kristi Moffitt <>
Subject: RE: [TNCANNON] The War
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 08:40:13 -0600

Jacob Burger Hawkins was my GGGGreatgrandfather and is listed on my family
tree at www.kristimoffitt.com
If you go to that site you can search by name and find a picture of his wife
Sallie Laurence. I thought I had his picture on there, but turns out I
don't. I will try to get it updated. I am always working to get more
photos online.
Kristi

P.S. I will scan those documents for you as soon as I get a minute.

Also, my great grandmother Edith Stone Grizzle wrote two pages about her
grandfather that I have yet to get on my website, but I have transcribed the
originals. Here it is. In case anyone is interested. I treasure this
information and I am so grateful that even as a relatively young woman, she
had the foresight to write this down for future generations. I am only 28
years young and I sure hope I can do the same favor by preserving some of my
history... I left the spelling just as it is in the original.

1. Individual , Edith Stone Grizzle.
"Sketch of My Grandfather life
Jacob Burger Hawkins was a country merchant and extensive farmer. being the
owner of 500 acres of fine land on Stones River and more than that on Short
Mountain and else where in Cannon Co He served as Justice of piece the
greater part of his adult life and for more than twenty years was chirman of
the county court
He managed the affair of the country with fine abillity and jelously guarded
its evry intrest
He purchased and constructed the iron fince around the court house in 1894
at the age of sixty he began the study of law took the examination was
addmited to the bar and engaged in the practice untill his death
He was a great personal friend of Judge Roert. Cantrel of Lebanon an eminent
Jurist whom he often entertained in his home on Rock House Creek four miles
north of Woodbury was a social and buisness center for his many friends
through out the country and his hospitality was far famed
Truly his table was a flowing bowl in addition He was a lumberman of note
owning numberous saw mills both in Tennessee and Flordia where he put out
millions of feet of the finest popular and other varieties so plentiful in
his day
He was allso a prouducer of fine horses mules and jacks and at this death
owned on his farm more than one hundred herd
Written by Grand Daughter
Mrs. Edith Stone Grizzle."

2. Individual , Edith Stone Grizzle.
"A Bird's Eye View of my Grandfather's life
Jacob Burger Hawkins
Jacob Burger Hawkins was born at Short Mountain in Cannon Co. Tennessee Oct
13, 1827 died at his home on Rock House Creek March 24 1897 he was a son of
James Hawkins and Salina Burger Hawkins born Feb 2, 1808 died Aug 11, 1885
James Hawkins was born July 1804 in Virginia he had two sons. Dub Hawkins
who died during the war between the States and John Hawkins who lived in
Wilson County, Tenn. near Auburntown where he died some thirty years ago
Jacob B. Hawkins first married a Martain had one daughter Parelee who
married Joseph Peas. he next married Sallie Laurence daughter of Jessie
Laurence of Rock House on the 10th day of March 1864. she was born in Cannon
Co Jan 5 ,1842 and died April 15th 1898
Thay had nine children as follows
Mary who married A.M. Bass.
John Turner Hawkins