TNFENTRE-L Archives

Archiver > TNFENTRE > 2006-09 > 1158248206

Subject: Re: [TNFENTRE] Preston Huff Killed by William Brooks?
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:36:46 EDT

Fentress Co. TN Circuit Court Minutes Vol. C December 1866-July 1871.

July Court 1867 p. 48
William Brooks and James Pile indicted for murder of Preston Huff, by
shooting him with certain guns and pistols charged with gun powder and laden balls,
on May 14, 1867. True Bill, Eli Hatfield, prosecutor. S. D. Albertson,
foreman of Grand Jury. Indicted July 30, 1867.

I suspect that James Pile is a nephew of Brooks by marriage, s/o Conrod
"Rod" Pile and Susannah Delk.

December Court 1867 p. 336-7 December 2, 1867
Francis Crockett, Wm. Looper, Edly Paul, Wm. Huff, John Huff and Martin
Guinn, on September 18, 1867 did kill and murderd in the 1st degree William
Brooks, by shooting him.
True Bill.
Witnesses for the State: John Wright, Thomas Allred, John M. Gaudin and
Addie Gaudin.
John W. Simpson, foreman of Grand Jury, and R. B Dawell?? Atty Gen.
prosecutor. (Atty. Gen. name difficult to read)

December Court 1867 p.348 December 3, 1867
Indicted for the murder of William Brooks:
Eli Hatfield, John Huff, Henderson Upchurch, Robert Young, Robert Wright,
Francis Crockett, Wm. Huff, Edley Paul, Noah Storie and Martin Westmoreland.
James Pile; prosecutor, John M. Simpson; foreman of Grand Jury.

William Looper, John Looper, John Wright, Thomas Allred and James Pile
witnesses for the State.

There is also an indictment for the murder of William Brooks by Mrs. Nancy
Brooks, but I do not have that at my finger tips. I can't find where any of
them that were indicted were ever tried.

It has always been my understanding that Wm. Brooks was on the Union side of
the fight, if this James Pile is his nephew and s/o Rod and Susannah Delk
Pile, then this James Pile was sympatric with the Union, his father Rod Pile
and his uncle Jeff Pile were killed by Ferguson a few days apart.

Wilma Gibson

This thread: