TNGILES-L Archives

Archiver > TNGILES > 2003-10 > 1067282575

Subject: Re: [TNGILES] ROTENBERRY/SURLES
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:22:55 EST

In a message dated 10/27/2003 1:42:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

> Subj: Re: [TNGILES] ROTENBERRY
> Date: 10/27/2003 1:42:58 PM Eastern Standard Time
> From: <A HREF="mailto:"></A>
> To: <A HREF="mailto:"></A>
> Sent from the Internet
>

> I would be interested in exchanging information regarding the Martha J. that
> you have listed in item # 6 as marrying Henry W. Surles/Searles.
> Please feel free to contact me .
> Craig Glasgow In Texas
>
> wrote:
>
> >> In a message dated 10/22/2003 11:25:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>> writes:
>>
>> >Subj: [TNGILES] ROTENBERRY
>> >Date: 10/22/2003 11:25:45 PM Eastern Daylight Time
>> >From: <A HREF="mailto:"></A>
>> >To: <A HREF="mailto:"></A>
>> >Sent from the Internet
>> >

>> >This is a Message Board Post that is gatewayed to this mailing list.
>> >
>> >Surnames: Rotenberry
>> >Classification: Query
>> >
>> >Message Board URL:
>> >
>> >http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/SeB.2ACE/542
>> >
>> >Message Board Post:
>> >
>> >Trying to find anyone doing family history on the Rotenberry name in Giles
>>
>> >Co. Tn. Thank you
>> >

>> I have the following info on Rotenberrys. I descend from Susanna Surles,
>> and
>> John F. Randall. Susanna's sister married William Rotenberry. I have more
>> on the Surles if anyone is interested. John Abernathy
>>

>> Giles County Chancery Court, Woodruff File S, 1830-1900, Giles County
>> Court Extracts, Vol V, by Elizabeth W. White., p 13, File Box S-5, Case
>> 1475,
>> Divorce Bill, 1857, Anna B. Surles vs. Henry Surles &William White.
>> "The Original Bill of this Case has been destroyed. From information
>> found in the Case ANNA B. SURLES was suing her husband for a Divorce
>> because of
>> very inhuman treatment. Some of their children testified that their father
>> beat and cursed their mother, on one occasion he beat her with a whip. They
>>
>> were married in the year 1818 and had 11 children. Land was surveyed and
>> divided. ANNA B. SURLES received 246 1/2 acres and HENRY SURLES received
>> 167 1/2
>> acres." Children are as follows:
>> 1. Susanna (Susan), born about 1820, TN, died before 1870, married John F.
>> Randal. (RIN 589).
>> 2. Nancy E., born 25 Apr 1822, TN, married first James N. Randal, (died 5
>> Mar 1863, second Alfred West, she died 10 Apr 1890. (RIN 623).
>> 3. Moriah B., born bef May 1829, TN, married an Overby. (RIN 624).
>> 4. Francis M, born before May 1829, TN. (RIN 625)
>> 5. Mahala, born abt 1826, TN, died aft 1874, married James Birdwell.
>> 6. Henry W., born about 1828, TN, married Martha J. (RIN 626)
>> 7. Mary Kizzie, born about 1831, TN, died after 1874, married William H.
>> White. (RIN 628).
>> 8. James A., born 20 Jan 1834, TN, died 5 Mar 1916, married Elizabeth. (RIN
>>
>> 629).
> [...]

Craig,

I would love to have want info you have on Henry W. Surles line and any other
info on the Surles line. I am including notes I have for Henry W. below.

NOTES FOR HENRY W. SURLES

1850 Census, Giles Co., Tenn., Dist 6, p 404, #44, Henry W. Searls
(Surles) is listed next to his father, age 22, farmer, born in Tenn. wife is given
as Martha J., age 16, born in Tenn. No children listed.

1860 Census, Giles Co., Tenn., Southern Subdivision, Pulaski, p 118,
#258, lists Henry W. Surles, 33, farmer, $5000 real estate, $820 personal estate,
born in Tenn. Martha J., age 27, Mary C., 10, Martha A., 7, Julia A., 10/12,
are listed and also is his father, all born in Tenn.

1870 Giles Co., Tenn. Census, Civil Dist #6, stamped page 99, line 12,
135/135, provided by Herb Williams, gives: Henry Serls, 41, Tenn, Elizabeth, 59
(believe this should be 39, the Giles Co., web page gives 39), NC, Martha,
16, Tenn, Julia, 12,Tenn, Emma 9, Tenn, Joseph 6, Tenn, Wm. H., 3, Tenn, Edd
Tidwell (farmhand), 17, Ala.
William H. must be by Elizabeth the second wife.

Previously Unpublished Early Marriage Records of Giles County,
Tennessee, Andy Weddington, p 7, gives:
Serls, Henry - Marthy J. Glasgow, 19 Jul 1849.

Giles County, Tennessee Mariage Records, 1865-1954, James and Jane
Cosby, gives H. W. Surles, Elizabeth Ashford, 7 Jan 1866.

Cemetery Records of Giles County, Tennessee, 1986, p493, for Stella
(Orginally Pleasant Hill) Cemetery gives H. W. Surles 10 May 1827 20 May 1900 but
also given is Bettie, wife of H. W. Surles 24 Mar 1832 4 May 1907.

It appears that first wife Martha J. must have died and Henry married
Elizabeth (Bettie). Mary C., Martha, Julia, and probably Emma were children of
Martha J. but without the death date of Martha J. it is uncertain which wife
was the mother of the other children. I do not find Martha J. in the above
referenced cemetery record. Since Martha J. was born in Tenn and Elizabeth was
born in NC, they would not have been the same person. JEA

Will of his father, Henry Surles, dated 1860 gives him 100 acres of
land.

County Court Case West vs Surles, Metal File Box 29, Giles Co. Court
Clerk Office, gives Henry W. Surles as a complainant in 1870.
Statement B for disbursement of funds gives J A Surles as assignee for H
W Surles shares paid in 1872-1874.

This thread: