TNGILES-L Archives

Archiver > TNGILES > 2009-04 > 1240050584

From: ,
Subject: Re: [TNGILES] Who were the Westmoreland of Giles CO TN?
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 10:29:44 -0000

Author: RogerHarvell48
Surnames:
Classification: queries

Message Board URL:

http://boards.rootsweb.com/localities.northam.usa.states.tennessee.counties.giles/2038.2/mb.ashx

Message Board Post:

Here's what I have on your guys with supporting notes...

Descendants of Thomas Westmoreland

Generation No. 1

1. THOMAS1 WESTMORELAND died Jan 1781 in SC - Spartenburg (killed by Tories at Battle of Cowpens??). He married EDITH NIPPER Oct 6, 1753 in Brunswick County, Virginia, daughter of JOHN [II] and ANNE UNKNOWN. She was born circa 1728, and died Aft. 1799.

Notes for THOMAS WESTMORELAND:
Brother of Reeves, Alexander and Joseph??

>From Frank Tate 9/26/01:
Roger,
I have a copy of the Westmoreland Family listed in My Southern Families by
Hiram Kennedy Douglass an Episcopal minister who lived in Florence, AL. I
talked with him a few times years ago before his death. He left his home in
Florence to the city for an Art Center.

He has Thomas Westmoreland born ca. 1700-1703, died before 2-5-1784 lived on
Licking Place Branch of Nottoway River which river divides Dinwiddie &
Brunswick Cos. He adquired land for fifty years 1724-1774 totalling 1803
acres, all in the same locality. He has 7 land entries listed and states
that he furnished supplies for the Revolutionary Army. Cowpens is not
mentioned. I need to get a copy of this for you and Michael.
Frank

RDH Note: We know that Edith Nipper's husband was deceased by 1783, so the date from Douglass cannot be her husband. It seems very unlikely that a 78-81 year-old would be at the Battle of Cowpens. Also, the "Douglass" Thomas would be much older that Edith Nipper. It would appear to me that Douglass is referring to a generation earlier. Perhaps the Thomas who is said to be the father of Reeves, Alexander and Joseph and probably THIS Thomas.

Another Westmoreland family lived in Bristol Parish. Thomas Westmoreland and his wife, Margaret, were the parents of Elizabeth Westmoreland (31 Oct. 1733 ) and Joseph Westmoreland (16 Nov. 1740 ). Thomas Westmoreland had 100 acres in Prince George (now Dinwiddie) County 28 September 1728. Robert Bolling had surveyed this tract for Thomas in 1724. When he added 595 acres in 1741, a neighbor was Joseph Westmoreland. Thomas was residing in Bath Parish, Dinwiddie County, when he added 18 acres on 7 December 1774.

One Westmoreland researcher states the following.
"Margaret was apparently Margaret Nipper, the daughter of John Nipper and his wife, Ann. When Ann died in Brunswick County in 1752 (will dated 6 Oct. 1752 , recorded 24 Oct. 1752), she mentioned her son-in-law Thomas Westmoreland. John had predeceased his wife by about 10 years (will dated 26 Mar. 1736 , recorded 7 May 1743)."

Ann Nipper's will does not mention WHICH of her daughters married Thomas Westmoreland, only that one did. SEE NOTES for Edith Nipper.

Notes for EDITH NIPPER:
RDH Note: One online chart shows that Edith died on Oct 6, 1753. That is the date shown elsewhere of her marriage to Thomas Westmoreland. Virginia tax records PROVE that Edith lived until at least 1788 so she certainly didn't die in 1753.

Edith's mother, Anne Nipper mentions her son-inlaw Thomas Westmoreland, but does not say WHICH daughter he married.

There is an online claim that Anne Nipper's daughter MARGARET married Thomas Westmoreland and there is another "John Thomas" who did have a first wife named Margaret. It is interesting to note that Anne's will was presented in court in October of 1752 and states that "...I give unto my son-in-law THOMAS WESTMORELAND one Shilling Sterling to the intent that he have no more of my Estate..."
This would appear to be a year BEFORE Thomas married Anne's daughter Edith. Why would her son-inlaw be mentioned with no reference to her daughter. Could it be that Thomas was a widowed son-inlaw at the time and then married another daughter the following year? None of this is very clear......but no daughter is mentioned in John or Anne Nipper's will other than Anne, Martha, and Edith.

WILL OF ANNE NIPPER
In the name of God, Amen. I Anne Nipper, of the County of Brunswick, being very sick and weak in body but in perfect sense and memory do make this my Last Will and Testament in manner and form as follows, WITNESS, I give and bequeath my Soul into the hands of the Almighty God that gave it to me and my body to the earth, its Mother, to be buried at the discretion of my Executor, and for such Estate as it hath pleased God for to bless me with I give and devise in manner and form as follows.
ITEM. I give and bequeath unto my son John Nipper two cows and calves, four head of hoggs and all the crop of corn that is made upon the plantation, two locks and keys. ITEM. I give and bequeath unto my son Alexander Nipper, my bed and furniture.
ITEM. I give and bequeath unto my son James Nipper, one cow and calf, one heifer. ITEM. I give to my son-in-law Richard Rottenberry {husband of Martha-RDH} one Shilling Sterling to the intent that he may have no more of my Estate.
ITEM. I give unto my son-in-law THOMAS WESTMORELAND {husband of Edith - RDH} one Shilling Sterling to the intent that he have no more of my Estate.
ITEM. I give unto my son-in-law William Jenkins {husband of daughter Anne - RDH} one Shilling Sterling that he may have no more right to any more of my Estate.
ITEM. That all the rest of my personal Estate after my charges is paid I give unto my son John Nipper.
ITEM. I give and bequeath unto my neighbor Randall Bracey my now dwelling plantation the contents or quantity of land that was given to me by my husband John Nipper. Last Will made on the Twenty-sixth day of March One thousand seven hundred and thirty-six and I do appoint my son John Nipper my whole Executor of this my Last Will -- revoking all former wills by me made, as witnessed by my hand this Sixth day of October 1752.

At a Court for Brunswick County the 24th day of October 1752. This Will was presented in Court by John Nipper the Executor therein named who made oath thereto and was proved by the Oaths of Dorothy Robertson and Mary Bracey witnesses thereto and ordered to be recorded and Certificate granted the said Executor for obtaining Probate thereof in due form.

As mentioned before, no daughter is named which makes this abstract of the same date interesting:
24 Oct 1752 - John (M) Nipper, Executor of Ann (A) Nipper, deceased, presented her Will in Court. It being proved by the Oaths of Dorothy Robertson and Mary Bracey, witnessed thereto, a Certificate of Probate of the Estate was granted to John (M) Nipper. He having, with Daniel Carrell, his security, entered into Bond in the amount of 500 pounds. Ann's Will listed the following individuals: sons, Alexander; John; and James; son-in-laws, Richard Rottenberry, husband of daughter Martha;
THOMAS WESTMORELAND, husband of daughter EDITH;
William Jenkins, husband of Anne; and neighbor Randall Bracey. (Ref: Will Book No. 3, page 83, Brunswick County.)

{RDH Note: It is interesting that Anne Nipper signed her will on October 6, 1752, exactly one year before Thomas and Edith were said to have married. Because Thomas was Anne's son-in-law when she wrote the will, he and Edith MUST have already been married. I think it is LIKELY that the date from the will was mistakenly recorded as an October 6, 1753, wedding date for the couple.}

The Virginia tax records do prove that Edith was married to Thomas and was the mother of Rueben whom we know to be the brother of Thomas and Jesse.

Dinwiddie County Land Tax Records, List of Land Conveyances, 10/1783 - 11/1784
SAMUEL HARWELL, guardian to Thomas Westmoreland's orphans,. acquired 200 acres at 8/1 and 280 acres at 6/1 on the behalf of the Westmoreland orphans for which Samuel was guardian ... the land was formerly charged, in 1782, to the orphans' father, Thomas Westmoreland.

The Virginia Land and Personal Property Tax Records for 1782 Dinwiddie County lists the following slaves by name for Thomas Westmoreland:
Sam, Neil, Martin, Ned, Sucky, Nell, Amy, Maria, Lydia, Judy, Aggy, Isaac, Dick, Lucy, David, Solomon, Fanny and Davy.

In 1783 (the year of Little Sam Harwell's court record) MRS WESTMORELAND's tax record list the following slaves {Those in all CAPS are the same names listed for Thomas in 1782}
SAM, LYDIA, JUDY, AMEY, NED, AGGY, LUCY, DAVID, SOLOMON, Patience, FANNY, and Charten.

In 1784 EDITH WESTMORELAND is taxed for 352 acres. The notes say "Previously charged to Thos. Westmoreland dec'd."
Same 1784 records indicate 480 acres taxed to Samuel Harwell, guardian of T.W. orphans was "Perviously charged to Thomas Westmoreland dec'd"

In 1785 Edith was taxed for RUEBEN WESTMORELAND male over 21, indicating that Rueben was born circa 1764.

These records seem to prove that the deceased Thomas Westmoreland (husband of Edith) was the father of Little Sam's orphans.

NOTE from Michael Flanagan: .....Roger - According to the tax records that I started and glared at yesterday, Thomas Westmoreland most definitely left a widow Edith in 1783, as well as sons Reuben and Thomas (both under 21 in 1783), and perhaps Jesse who was a co-seller with Edith when she disposed of her 352 acre share of Thomas's 832 acres (a 552 acre tract and a 280 acre tract) between the 1799 and 1800 tax
years.

There was a Thomas Westmoreland killed by Tories at the Battle of Cow Pens in January of 1781. Could this be the same Thomas, the father of Rueben, Thomas and Jesse?

More About THOMAS WESTMORELAND and EDITH NIPPER:
Marriage: Oct 6, 1753, Brunswick County, Virginia

Children of THOMAS WESTMORELAND and EDITH NIPPER are:
2.i.REUBEN2 WESTMORELAND, b. circa 1764, Virginia [In 1785 Edith was taxed for RUEBEN WESTMORELAND male over 21, indicating that Rueben was born circa 1764.]; d. Bet. May and Aug 1818, Pulaski, Giles County, Tennessee.
3.ii.THOMAS WESTMORELAND, b. Aug 22, 1771, VA; d. Feb 2, 1815, TN - Giles (see notes).
4.iii.SARAH WESTMORELAND, b. 1765, VA - "Sarah from Bath Parish" per marriage bond; d. 1839, TN - Giles Co..
5.iv.ANN (NANCY) WESTMORELAND, b. Bet. 1770 and 1774, VA; d. Bet. 1840 and 1849, TN - Giles County.
6.v.JESSE WESTMORELAND.

Generation No. 2

2. REUBEN2 WESTMORELAND (THOMAS1) was born circa 1764 in Virginia [In 1785 Edith was taxed for RUEBEN WESTMORELAND male over 21, indicating that Rueben was born circa 1764.], and died Bet. May and Aug 1818 in Pulaski, Giles County, Tennessee. He married ELIZABETH UNKNOWN Bef. 1809.

Notes for REUBEN WESTMORELAND:
Reuben Westmoreland of Pulaski, Tenn, born in Dinnwiddie in 1770, certainly died 15 August 1825. I have found the probate record for his will, which names members of his family in the will: Laban, Jesse, and William G. There was also a daughter, not mentioned in the will: Martha L. I have an oral history from a great aunt that confirms this version, as well.

DEED BOOK B Page 317-318
Aaron Brown } 621 1/2 acres of land
Deed To } Richland creek } Registered the 4th day
Reuben Westmoreland } Giles County } of March 1815
This Indenture made this the 10th day of August in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and fifteen between Reuben Westmoreland of the county of Davidson of the one part and Aaron Brown of the county of Giles of the other part Witnesseth; That the said Aaron Brown for and in consideration of six hundred and forty three dollars in hand paid, or secured to be paid, by the said Reuben Westmoreland the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged, hath given Granted, bargained, sold, Aliened confirmed and Conveyed unto the said R. Westmoreland his Heirs and Assigns forever, a certain tract or parcel of land, situated lying and being in the County of Giles Beginning at Brasheers corner in the road and running N. 35 degrees West 48 Chains & twenty five links, to a red oak, thence South Sixty five degrees West 20 Chains to a beech Standing on the old Indian trail thence North Seventy four degrees East twenty four chains & 22 West 20 chains thence South 69 degrees West five Chains and fi!
fty links, to an Ash Thence West a newly marked line 100 Chains to a Beech, in said Browns Western boundary, thence South on said Western boundary 40 Chains to a sugar tree on Jacls line thence East down said Jacks line 100 chains to a Dogwood & Hickory on Brasheers line forty chains to a corner, on two hickories thence due East 80 chains to the beginning Containing Six hundred Twenty one & half acres more or less Have and to hold the aforesaid land, with all and single the rights, profits insturments, hereditaments and appurtinances of in and to the said Belonging or in any wise appertaining to the only proper use and behoof of him the said Westmoreland his Heirs and Assigns forever and the said A Brown for his Heirs, Executors and Administrators doth covenant and agree with the aforesaid R Westmoreland his Heirs and Assigns the before recited land and bargained premises to warrant and forever defend against the right title Interest and Claim of any and every person or per!
sons Whatsoever except so much of the aforesaid described land as doth
lie beyond the Indian River which untill the claims of the Indians shall be extinguished by our Government this aforesaid Brown doth not Warrant & defend as aforesaid. In Witness whereof the said Aaron Brown hath hereunto set his hand and afixed his seal the day and year aforementioned

Signed Sealed & delivered Aaron Brown (Seal)
Aaron N Brown
Tilman A Daniel
Robert Cato
=============================
DEED BOOK G Page 138

Reuben Westmoreland } for 221 1/2 acres of land in Giles County
Administrator Deed to } Registered the 6th January 1827
Aaron Brown }
This Indenture made this 6th day of September in the year of our Lord Eighteen hundred and twenty five, between Tilman R. Daniel Administrator with the will annexed of Reuben Westmoreland decd. of the one part and Aaron Brown of the other part both of the county of Giles and State of Tennessee Witnesseth; that the said Tilman R Daniel Administrator for and in consideration of three hundred and one Dollars in hand paid or secured to be paid by this said the Aron(sic) Brown the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged hath given granted bargained sold aliened confirmed and conveyed unto the said Aaron Brown his Heirs and Assigns forever, a Certain tract or parcel of land situate lying and being in the county of Giles Beginning at Brashiers corner on the road and running N. 35 degrees West 48 Chains and 75 links to a red oak thence south 65 degrees West twenty chains to a beech standing in the old Indian trail thence North 74 degrees East 24 Chains and 50 links thence South 25 de!
grees West 16 chains, thence North 22 West 20 Chains thence South 69 degrees West 5 chains & 50 links to an ash thence South 14 East 2 chains & 78 links to a hickory the North West corner of John Brasheirs land thence East 80 chains to the beginning Containing two hundred and twenty one acres & a half more or less To have and to hold the aforesaid lands with all and singular the rights Profits instruments hereditaments and appurtenances of in and to belonging or in any wise appertaining to the only proper use and behoof of him the said Brown his heirs and Assigns forever And the said Tilman R. Daniel Administrator for himself his heirs Executors and Administrators doth covenant and agree with the aforesaid A Brown his heirs or assigns the before recited land and bargained Premises to warrant and forever defend against the right title interest or claim of any and every person or persons Whatsoever In Witness whereof the said Tilman R Daniel Admr. hath hereunto set his hand a!
nd affixed his seal the day and year above written.
Signed sealed and delivered Tilman R. Daniel Adm (Seal)
in the presence of
John B. Goldsberry
John Hawkins this 6 Feby 1826
State of Tennessee Giles county Court for February term 1826.
Then was the within deed of conveyance from Tilman R Daniel Adm. of Reubin Westmoreland decd. to Aaron Brown produced in court and the execution thereof acknowledged by the said Tilman R. Daniel Adm. as aforesd. and ordered to be Certified for registeration In testimony whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed the seal of said court at office in Pulaski the 14th day of March 1826.
German Lester Clk

Page 243 County Court Aug 1825
Tilman R Daniel guardian of Jesse and Laban and Martha L orphans of Reuben Westmoreland

More About REUBEN WESTMORELAND:
Burial: [Will written May 10, 1818 probated Aug 24, 1818]

More About REUBEN WESTMORELAND and ELIZABETH UNKNOWN:
Marriage: Bef. 1809

Children of REUBEN WESTMORELAND and ELIZABETH UNKNOWN are:
i.JESSE3 WESTMORELAND.
ii.WILLIAM G WESTMORELAND, m. MILISSA BAILEY.
iii.MARTHA L WESTMORELAND.
iv.LABAN ABERNATHY WESTMORELAND, b. Feb 22, 1809; d. Oct 27, 1860, Giles County, Tennessee; m. NANCY NEAL, Jan 21, 1824; b. 1808, Newberry, South Carolina; d. Jun 16, 1864, Giles County, Tennessee.

Notes for LABAN ABERNATHY WESTMORELAND:
Reuben Westmoreland of Pulaski, Tenn, born in Dinnwiddie in 1770, certainly died 15 August 1825. I have found the probate record for his will, which names members of his family in the will: Laban, Jesse, and William G. There was also a daughter, not mentioned in the will: Martha L. I have an oral history from a great aunt that confirms this version, as well.

1840 Giles County, Tennessee Census
Westmoreland, Labon 3 2 1 0 1 2 0 0 0 0 0 1
Westmoreland, Jesse 1 2 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1

1860 Giles County, Tennessee
405 378 Labern A. Westmoreland 57 m Farmer 26,400 64,847 Virginia
Nancy Westmoreland 57 f Tenn
Fieldis G. 27 m Trader 8000 Tenn
Milton F. 18 m Tenn 1
Octava 14 f Tenn 1
Rush 13 m Tenn 1
Hawkins 11 m Tenn 1
379 Jerome A. Westmoreland 22 m Physician 13400 8000 Tenn
Mary A. Westmoreland 17 f Tenn
Adella 3/12 f Tenn

Chancery Records of Giles County, TN:
File Box H - 6 Case 2157 Attachment Bill (1865)
Thomas B. Harwell vs. Field G. Westmoreland
THOMAS B. HARWELL vs. FIELD G. WESTMORELAND, Administrator of LABAN A. WESTMORELAND, deceased ... JAMES W. MITCHELL ... THEOPHALUS WESTMORELAND ... JEROME WESTMORELAND ... MILTON F. WESTMORELAND ... RUSH & HAWKINS WESTMORELAND ... OCTAVIA G. HARWELL .. JAMES HARWELL.

COLUMBUS W. WESTMORELAND died August 1, 1858. LABAN WESTMORELAND and JAMES MITCHELL executed to THOMAS B. HARWELL two joint promissory notes. In October 1860 LABAN A. WESTMORELAND died intestate leaving surviving FIELD G., THEO, MILTON F., JEROME, RUSH and HAWKINS WESTMORELAND and OCTAVIA G. who has since married JAMES HARWELL. MILTON has also since died and NANCY WESTMORELAND widow has since died. All of the defendants are citizens of the State of Arkansas except JAMES W. MITCHELL who lived in Tishomingo County, Mississippi and THEO WESTMORELAND who resided in Giles County. LABAN WESTMORELAND died owning two tracts of land, one situated in the 8th Civil District on the waters of Richland Creek, north by ISAAC MASON, deceased, east by ISAAC BARBER & MASON estate, south by the lands of WILLIAM D. MARKS and west by W.W. GORDON farm and a tract in District 2 near Prospect, east by lands of J.G. MASON, north and west by JESSE WELLS, WILLIAM JOHNSON, JAMES MADRY, HENRY J. BROWN !
and on the south by lands of J.G. MASON and HENRY J. BROWN.
{MHF Note: James Madison Harwell, son of James M & Sarah (Tanner) Harwell of Mecklenburg Co. VA, married Octavia Gary "Mittie" Westmoreland in Brackenridge, Jackson County, AR, on January 20, 1864}

Freda Danile on genforum:
I find your post very interesting. I am researching for my husband's family. He is decended from Tilman R. Daniel of Giles Co, TN. We have a copy of a deed naming Laban A. Westmoreland. He purchased land from Tilman, 1 April 1836. Other grantees are: Columbus W., Thomas J., Fielding G., & Theophilus Westmoreland, all of Giles Co. Laban states that the above names were minors, under 21, and in the guardianship of Jesse Westmoreland.

Tilman R.'s son was Theophilus P. Daniel and he m Sarah Francis Buchanan. Her family is connected to the Ezells. Somehow, I feel all these families are connected. Where does your Tillman family enter the maze? Any help appreciated.

EMAIL from Frank Tate:
Roger,
I have been on a Westmoreland kick ever since Octavia Gary Westmoreland who married James Madison Harwell 1-20-1861 in Woodroof Co. AR was presented to me by you. I went into my Westmoreland non-computerized papers and one thing led to another and could not turn it loose. Downloaded the Major James Harwell data you sent me (thanks so much) and found a record I had sent Michael and was looking for this morning (about Dr. William H. Harwell who married Nancy Wood). I could not find what I wanted and there it was. This should be put into book form. An index would be the only problem that I can see. This book could be used by The Harwell Heritage to raise money.

Some of the Westmoreland things I have is the Westmoreland family from the book "My Southern Families" by Hiram Kennedy Douglass, an Episcopalian priest who lived in Florence. He stated that Laban Abernathy Westmoreland born 2-22-1809, died 10-27-1860 married 6-1834 Nancy Neal and had 12 children. He only listed 2 of these children Dr. Theophilus Westmoreland, a Confederate surgeion who died 1912 in Athens, AL, Dr. Jerome Webster Westmoreland, 1838-1926 buried in Greenwood Cemetery at Hot Springs, AR, who married Mary Ann Deaver in 1859.

History of Pisgah Part 8
Tells about Thomas J. "Dip" Westmoreland assasination 11-9-1858 by Lewis Kirk in Lawrenceburg, TN. Stated that he was the second son of Laban A. & Nancy Westmoreland born 12-3-1830. Also Dr. Monroe F. Westmoreland was mentioned.

The Jackson Co., AR record you sent me mentions children Theophilus, Columbus W., Octavia, Milton F., Rush and Hawkins.

Maury County Cousins, page 184 (Maury Co., TN)
L. L Westmoreland married 7-6-1854 Nancy E. Mitchell daughter of Asa Mitchell & Mary Katherine Dickerson. Could this be another son of Labon? He is listed in the 1860 Census of Giles with two daughters Mary & Virginia.

Hope you can add to all of this or straighten some of it out. Reuben Westmoreland & his wife Elizabeth Abernathy were the parents of Laban Abernathy Westmoreland. I think there is a Laban Abernathy in the VA Records. Reuben would be a brother of Sarah Westmoreland Wells wife of Wiliam Wells. Wiliam Crittenden married Palatier Westmoreland another sister and came to Giles Co., TN with the rest from Brunswick. Their daughter Sally W. Crittenden married Dr. Frederick Harwell son of Buckner Harwell. There are some of these Crittendens in Yell Co., AR.

How I wish I had all of these lines in my computer. Trying now to do the Shelton Book which I should have not I guess is a hindrance.
Frank

More About LABAN WESTMORELAND and NANCY NEAL:
Marriage: Jan 21, 1824

3. THOMAS2 WESTMORELAND (THOMAS1) was born Aug 22, 1771 in VA, and died Feb 2, 1815 in TN - Giles (see notes). He married SARAH SUSAN TARPLEY Dec 24, 1792 in VA - Petersburg her 1st of 2, daughter of JOHN TARPLEY and ELIZABETH SMITH. She was born Aug 14, 1777 in VA - Dinwiddie?, and died Nov 14, 1863.

Notes for THOMAS WESTMORELAND:
E-Mail from Frank Tate 12/14/99 re:
AL/Lauderdale chancery court records, Book C:

B. Harwell page 265 1818 Affidavit

Gilham Harwell page 259 1827 Deposition
Gilham Harwell page 283 1829 Judgment

Hubert Harwell page 264 1815 Inventory

James Harwell page 264 1815 Inventory

Nancy Harwell page 252 1826 Complaint
Nancy Harwell page 259 1827 Deposition
Nancy Harwell page 283 1829 Judgement

~~~~~~~~~~~
Heirs of Thomas Westmoreland deceased in a case entitled:

The Heirs of Westmoreland
vs (Original Bill)
William H. Ragsdale

The bill of complaint of John Crittenden and Elizabeth his wife, Edwin B.
Westmoreland, Thomas A. Westmoreland, Gilham Harwell and his wife Nancy, John T. Westmoreland and William Jones in right of his wife Sarah and as guardian of Fisher W., Albert G., and Sarah Westmoreland heirs and devizees of Thomas Westomoreland against William H. Ragsdale defendant in Equity.

There was about 30 pages relating to this which I got copies. I have not read all of it yet. William Jones mentioned married Sarah Tarpley Westmoreland widow of Thomas Westmoreland. I was hoping too for more proof of Harwells. - Frank
~~~~~
On the 22nd of November, 1809, the Legislature, by joint resolution, selected the following magistrates for Giles County, viz: John DICKEY, Jacob BAYLOR, Somerset MOORE, Charles NEELY, Robert STEELE, Nathaniel MOODY, William PHILLIPS, Benjamin LONG, Thos. WESTMORELAND, David PORTER and Maximillian H. BUCHANAN.

Chancery Court Records for GilesCounty, TN
File Box K - 3 Case {number not shown} Court of Pleas & Quarter Sessions
This is a County Court Case that was mixed up during the occupation of the Giles County Courthouse by Union troops. 1843. The will of JESSE WESTMORELAND deceased was produced in Court, THOMAS WESTMORELAND Executor. This was Monday 18th November 1811. BENJAMIN INGRAM appointed Guardian of MARTHA, SALLY, SUSAN and HARRIET, minor daughters of JESSE WESTMORELAND, deceased. THOMAS WESTMORELAND died, testate, Will produced in Court March 6, 1815. SALLY WESTMORELAND and WILLIAM RAGSDALE Executors. The marriage of DRURY COX and ELIZA G. WESTMORELAND was solemnized in Lauderdale County, Alabama, April 12, 1821. NATHANIEL H. MARKS and HARRIETT WESTMORELAND were married August 25, 1828, Lauderdale County, Alabama. WILLIAM KROGER and MARTHA WESTMORELAND were married April 12, 1821. ELIZABETH WESTMORELAND, widow of JESSE WESTMORELAND, married WILLIAM CRITTENTUM {sic - Crittenden}. Inventory of estate of JESSE WESTMORELAND, slaves: Sam, Old Billy, Little Billy, Lydia, Pat, Hannah, P!
atience, Fed, James, Amy & David willed to widow. Dick and Minah were willed to JULIA CLAYTON. Bob, Moses, Hartwell, Rhoda, Susannah, Hannah, Lucy, Rice, Caty, Fanny & Rebecca and 250 acres of land willed to Mrs. EDWARDS (GRAY). The will of JESSE WESTMORELAND not in this case.

~~~~~~~

More About THOMAS WESTMORELAND and SARAH TARPLEY:
Marriage: Dec 24, 1792, VA - Petersburg her 1st of 2

Children of THOMAS WESTMORELAND and SARAH TARPLEY are:
i.ELIZABETH3 WESTMORELAND, m. JOHN CRITTENDEN.
ii.ANNA ABERNATHY WESTMORELAND, b. Dec 30, 1799, VA per 1850 TN/Giles census; d. Aug 4, 1891, TN - Giles; m. GILHAM HARWELL, COL., circa 1820, TN; b. Mar 15, 1792, VA; d. Jan 20, 1838, TN - Giles.

Notes for ANNA ABERNATHY WESTMORELAND:
Abstracts of will written 1890

Debts and funeral expenses be paid and a lot be purchased by my executor in the new cemetery at Pulaski where I desire to be buried and that all my family shall be buried there and those who are dead be removed to said lot.

To my adopted son, T. H. Banks land in twenty first District for a home for himself and his family.

The remainder of personal property after payment of debts to my son T.B. Harwell in Trust and benefit of my misfortunate son William G. Harwell with power to dispose of as he sees fit. At. T.B. Harwell's death the son T.H. Banks shall manage as long as William G. Harwell lives.

I give to T.B. Harwell all real estate for benefit of William G. Harwell, T.B. being single.

I desire my son S.G. Harwell and wife Bettie (Marks) shall live at homeplace with T.B. Harwell that William G. may be better cared for.

Executor: T. B. Harwell
Witnesses: J.L. Baugh, J.T. Marks.

[ Wm. G. Harwell was mentally retarded. At his death his only heirs were 1st cousins. Anne Elizabeth Wells Pollard]

~~~~~~~
Ann A. Harwell & others }
To } Deed - Registered August 15th 1846
William Harwell }
This indenture made and entered into this 4th of May one thousand eight hundred and forty six between Ann A. Harwell, Sarah E. Harwell, Thomas B. Harwell & Saml G. Harwell all of the county of Giles state of Tennessee of the one part and Wm Harwell of the aforesaid County and State of the other part, Witnesseth the said Ann A. Harwell, Sarah E. Harwell, Tho. B. Harwell & Saml G. Harwell for and in consideration of the sum of two thousand three hundred dollars to them in hand paid by said William Harwell the rect. whereof is hereby acknowledged, doth hereby grant, bargain, sell, convey to the said Wm Harwell one certain tract or parcel of land, in the county of Giles State of Tennessee on the water of Bradshaw's Creek district No. 10, It being a tract of land conveyed by Charles C. Abernathy as trustee on the 22nd of April 1843, to Ann A. Harwell Guardian for the minor heirs of Gilham Harwell deed containing four hundred & sixty three acres be the same more or less and bound!
ed as follows- (to wit) beginning at a stake in the junction of the West fork of Bradshaw's Creek with the main creek thence east 5 degrees North 220 pole to a white ash Lewis Williamson's south west croner, thence North 5 degrees West 31 poles to the channel of the creek one pole North of a beech marked as a corner, thence up said creek with its channel 46 poles, thence North 5 degrees West 50 poles to a horn bean, thence East 10 degrees North 9 poles to the channel of the Creek 1 pole east of a marked sugar tree, thence up said creek in the meanders of its channel to a point 1 1/2 poles east of a buckeye & small, marked beech near the big shoal, thence North with the creek 6 poles to a stake, thence North 40 degrees West 6 poles to a stake, thence North 36 degrees west 18poles to a stake, thence North 8 degrees West 18 poles, thence North 28 degrees east 18 poles to a stake, thence North 61 degrees east 18 poles to a stake, thence north 4 degrees east 10 poles to a stake !
thence North 18 degrees west 8 poles to a stake thence North 14 degree
s 14 poles opposite a large beech marked as a corner on the west bank of a creek, thence west 4 degrees south 45 poles to a stake thence N. 1 1/2 poles to a chinquepin oak thence North 50 degrees west 54 poles to a dogwood, thence North 5 degrees west 88 poles to a stake Levi Sherrill's North west corner, thence west 5 degrees South to two ashes, the south west corner of the land granted to R. Hightower now owned by Gabriel Wourley, thence North with the same 90 1/2 poles to two sugar trees and an ash in Wourley's line, thence west 86 poles to a beeck & dogwood thence South 6 poles to three dogwoods, thence west 94 2/10 poles to a dogwood & two beeches, thence south 90 poles to a black oak thence east 5 degrees north 94 poles to a stake, thence east 5 degrees north 10 poles to a small black oak, the north east corner of an 89 acre tract now owned by the heirs of Saml. Harwell dec.d thence south 20 degrees west 22 poles to a lynn, thence south 10 degrees west 14 poles to a sa!
ssafras thence south 44 poles to a sassafras, thence south 10 degrees west 26 poles to a chestnut, thence west 5 degrees south 14 poles to an ash & red bud, thence south 5 degrees east 17 poles to a sassafras thence west 5 degrees south, 36 poles to a sugar tree and horn bean thence south 5 degrees east 7 poles to a stake; thence west 5 degrees south 24 poles to a stake ash & beech pointers, thence south 5 degrees east 42 poles to a forked Lynn, thence east 13 poles to a beech, thence west 1 pole to the channel of the branch thence with said branch with its meanders to a point due south of said beech, thence south 5 degrees east leaving the branch in all 130 poles from said beech to a buckeye, thence west 5 degrees south 40 poles to a stake opposite a large shoal, thence 28 degrees south 26 poles to a point in the channel of the west fork Bradshaw's Creek - opposite a hackberry, marked as a corner, thence down said Creek with its meanders to its junction with the main creek!
to the beginning. Also one acre of land condemned by the county cour
t of Giles County for the use of the mill on said tract of land; To have and to hold the said tract of land with the appurtenances thereto belonging, to the said Wm Harwell his heirs and assigns forever and the said Ann A. Harwell, Sarah E. Harwell, Thomas B. Harwell & Saml. G. Harwell for themselves and their heirs do hereby warrant and will forever defend the right and title to said tract of land to said William Harwell, his heirs and assigns forever against the claim or claims of all persons whatever. In witness whereof the said Ann A. Harwell, Sarah E. Harwell, Thomas B. Harwell & Saml G. Harwell have hereunto set their hand and affixed their seals this day & year as above written Ann A. Harwell (Seal)
Witness Sarah E. Harwell (Seal)
W.F. Jones Tho. B. Harwell (Seal)
Wm D. Abernathy Saml. G. Harwell (Seal)
State of Tennessee }
Giles County } Personally appeared before me Edward D Jones Clerk of the county court of Giles county, William F. Jones and William D. Abernathy, subscribing witnesses to the within named deed who being first sworn depose and say, that they are acquainted with Ann A. Harwell, Sarah E. Harwell, Thomas B. Harwell, & Samuel G. Harwell and that they acknowledged the same in their presence to be their act and deed upon the day it bears Witness my hand at office the 7th day of August A. D. 1846.
No. 13 for August Recd 4 oclock August 7th 1846. E.D. Jones Clerk

Notes for GILHAM HARWELL, COL.:
ABSTRACTS OF WILL: Written 1838

To wife Anna A. Harwell all my land during her life or widowhood and all my negroes except Stephen and Milly, they are to be sold and carried out of the State of Tennessee. At wife's death or mattiage land to be sold and divided among children.

Executor,Executrix: Ira E. Brown, William D. Abernathy, Anna A. Harwell.
Witnesses: R.G.P. White, John B. Anthony.

More About GILHAM HARWELL and ANNA WESTMORELAND:
Marriage: circa 1820, TN

iii.THOMAS ABERNATHY WESTMORELAND, b. Aug 3, 1800, Virginia; d. Dec 17, 1864, Giles County, Tennessee; m. ELIZABETH"BETSY" JOHN MORRIS, Dec 8, 1825, Giles County, Tennessee; b. Dec 28, 1805; d. Apr 22, 1882.

More About THOMAS WESTMORELAND and ELIZABETH"BETSY" MORRIS:
Marriage: Dec 8, 1825, Giles County, Tennessee

iv.EDWIN B. WESTMORELAND, b. 1802, VA; m. LUCY HANCOCK MITCHELL.
v.JOHN T. WESTMORELAND.
vi.FISHER AMES WESTMORELAND, b. Nov 21, 1805, VA; d. Feb 7, 1898, TN.
vii.ALBERT GALLETIN WESTMORELAND, b. May 9, 1808, TN.
viii.SARAH AMANDA WESTMORELAND, b. Jan 28, 1813, Giles County, Tennessee; d. Aug 15, 1889; m. JOHN BROWNING ANTHONY, Sep 15, 1829, TN - Giles; b. Aug 5, 1799; d. Aug 18, 1862.

More About SARAH AMANDA WESTMORELAND:
Burial: Maplewood Cemetery, Pulaski, Giles County, Tennessee

More About JOHN BROWNING ANTHONY:
Burial: Maplewood Cemetery, Pulaski, Giles County, Tennessee

More About JOHN ANTHONY and SARAH WESTMORELAND:
Marriage: Sep 15, 1829, TN - Giles

4. SARAH2 WESTMORELAND (THOMAS1) was born 1765 in VA - "Sarah from Bath Parish" per marriage bond, and died 1839 in TN - Giles Co.. She married WILLIAM WELLS Nov 1785 in VA - Brunswick County minister Thomas Lundie. He was born 1753 in VA, and died 1833 in TN - Giles Co..

Notes for WILLIAM WELLS:
William Wells was the father of Jesse Wells and had 12 children - 8 sons and 4 daughters. He emigrated from Virginia to Tennessee about the year 1807 and settled where the city of Nashville now stands. His oldest daughter Nancy was married to Robert Adams about the year 1809 on the hill on which the state capitol now stands, the home of her father who lived with his large family on a rock floor. According to his cemetery records, he was a Revolutionary War soldier at Valley Forge.

More About WILLIAM WELLS and SARAH WESTMORELAND:
Marriage: Nov 1785, VA - Brunswick County minister Thomas Lundie

Children of SARAH WESTMORELAND and WILLIAM WELLS are:
i.JESSE3 WELLS, b. Oct 14, 1797, VA (See notes); d. Dec 28, 1874, TN - Giles County; m. NANCY HARWELL, 1822, Giles County, TN; b. Nov 1, 1801, VA - Brunswick County; d. Nov 10, 1864, TN - Giles County.

Notes for JESSE WELLS:
Bible Records of John A. Beasley
The following was copied from the bible by my father, William B. Henderson., sometime in the 1930's.

"Soon after his marriage, John A. Beasley bought land and settled near his father-in-law, Jesse Wells, where he spent the first eight years of his connubial life. He then moved into the neighborhood where he was reared. He volunteered his services as a soldier in defense of his country in the war between the states in 1861 and was sworn into the service on the 9th day of Dec. in the same year. He served in the Confederate Army for sixteen months and was honorably discharged at the end of that time because he was over the age which was 40 years. His horse was shot from under him during a skirmish at Iuka, Mississippi in the autumn of the year 1862.

William Wells was the father of Jesse Wells and had 12 children - 8 sons and 4 daughters. He emigrated from Virginia to Tennessee about the year 1807 and settled where the city of Nashville now stands. His oldest daughter Nancy was married to Robert Adams about the year 1809 on the hill on which the state capitol now stands, the home of her father who lived with his large family on a rock floor.

Buckner Harwell, the father-in-law of Jesse Wells moved from Virginia with William Wells and eventually settled with him in Giles, Co.. His family also consisted of 8 sons and 4 daughters, Jesse and Nancy Wells had 4 children, Albert G., James B., Sarah C. and Anne E.. James Buckner Wells enlisted in the war of 1861 and soon after entering the ranks as a soldier, was taken seriously ill, came home and died on Jan.24th, 1862.

To whom it may concern, be it known that on the 24th day of October, 1844, at the residence of Jesse Wells on Ford Creek, Giles Co., Tennessee, the Subscriber united in marriage with Sarah Cassandra Wells, John A. Beasley. Witness: Thomas C. White and John I. Butler.

Marriages:
Ann Elizabeth Beasley was married to Robert Adams on the 18th day of September 1866.
Sarah Josephine Melbane Beasley was married to Charles P. Williams on the 27th day of December 1868.
Eudora Marabia Mason Beasley was married to William Butler on the 3rd day of December 1871.
Melbane Jesse Fendall Beasley in marriage with Molly Gertrude Booth of Philips Co., Arkansas on the 6th day of November, 1876.
Ida Jane Beasley was married to Ruben C. Small on the 9th day of October 1879.

Ann Elizabeth Beasley was born Sept 15th, 1845
Sarah Josephine Mebane Beasley was born Sept 7th, 1849
Eudora Marabia Beasley was born Nov. 26th, 1851
Mebane Jesse Fendall Beasley was born Dec. 2nd, 1853
William James Ermer Beasley was born Dec. 26th, 1855
Ida Jane Beasley was born April 11th, 1858
John Elijah Anthony Beasley was born Dec 2nd, 1860
Lucius Rebel Beasley was born June 19th, 1867
Louella Beasley was born June 19th, 1867
Jewel Dayton Beasley was born Feb 10th, 1870
Daisy Virtue Beasley was born Aug 13th, 1874

Grandchildren
John Carson Adams was born Oct 5th, 1873
Hattie Iva Butler was born Aug 29th 1872
LeeRoy Adams was born Sept 18th, 1875
SueElla Adams was born July 20th, 1877
Bobie Adams was born July 25th, 1879
William Samuel Adams was born April 19th, 1881"

The following is from an original record in my possession.
"Rev. M.J.F. Beasley's Family Record
Mebane Jessee Fendall Beasley born in the year 1853 on the 2 day of December. Died October the 14th 1855.
Mary Glover Booth was born on the 4th of December 1855. Died January the 8th, 1888
Sallie Daisy Beasley was born December the 30th 1877
Claude Booth Beasley was born December the 23rd 1879
Jesse Anthony Beasley was born December the 11, 1883"

There is a question of the name of the wife of Melbane Jesse Fendall Beasley. In the first document she is Molly Gertrude, and in the second, she is Mary Glover. She is my Great Grandmother and I always heard of her as Mary Glover, and as the second document is original, I believe "Mary Glover" correct and "Molly Gertrude" a typo.
Contributed by William Booth Henderson

1850 Dist 2, Giles County, Tennessee
26 26 Jesse Wells 52 Farmer 2400 VA
Nancy 49 VA
James B 24 200 TN
Annie 18 TN
--------------------------
1860 Southern Division, Giles County, Tennessee
1064 1046 Jesse Wells 62 M Farmer 1700 14081 VA
Nancy Wells 59 F VA
James B Wells 36 M Farmer 2240 1900 TN
1047 Frank F Pollard 24 M Farmer 117 VA
Ann E Pollard 26 F TN
James W T Pollard 8m M TN

Notes for NANCY HARWELL:
E-Mail from Frank Tate 3/11/1998:

"Michael,

Some years ago I was talking with my Dad's first cousin, Estolene Pollard, who was born on the farm where Jesse Wells and Nancy Harwell Wells homesteaded in the 1830's. Her grandmother (my great grandmother) Anne Elizabeth Wells Pollard lived with her son my Uncle John Cardwell Pollard father of Estolene Pollard. Estolene told me that her grandmother Anne Pollard received some money from the estate of Cousin Billy Harwell's estate when he died. This sent me to the courthouse and I found in Chancery Court the estate of William G. Harwell deceased who left as heirs 21 first cousins. Anne Wells Pollard was one of the first cousins as daughter of Nancy Harwell Wells sister of his father Gilliam Harwell. Needless to say the excitement I experienced in reading the names of all these heirs which gave me proof of so many of the children of Buckner Harwell. This was one of the finds of my searching. W. G. Harwell was the brother of Dr. Thomas Buckner Harwell and the last of h!
is family to die. There were no descendants to any of the children of Gilliam Harwell. This is one of my best stories!"

More About JESSE WELLS and NANCY HARWELL:
Marriage: 1822, Giles County, TN

ii.[7.OTHER.SONS] WELLS, b. Aft. 1785.
iii.[4.DAUGHTERS] WELLS, b. Aft. 1785.

5. ANN (NANCY)2 WESTMORELAND (THOMAS1) was born Bet. 1770 and 1774 in VA, and died Bet. 1840 and 1849 in TN - Giles County. She married HARBARD HARWELL Feb 2, 1784 in VA - Brunswick County d/o Thomas, dec'd; Sec. Samuel Harwell, son of SAMUEL HARWELL and ABIGAIL HARWELL. He was born circa 1755 in VA - Brunswick County (26-45 on 1800 census NC/Lincoln), and died 1815 in TN - Giles County. Will proved 6/06/1815.

Notes for ANN (NANCY) WESTMORELAND:
Age 26-45 on both the 1800 and 1810 censuses for NC/Lincoln
26-45 in 1800 = 1755-74 ... 26-45 in 1810 = 1765-84 ... 45 in 1820 = bef.1775
c/o son Stith: In her 50s 1830 (born in 1770s) ... In her 60s 1840 (born 1770s)
Therefore born 1770-74

1820 Census for TN / Giles page 12:
Nancy Harwell Males: 0 1 0-1 1 0 Females: 0 0 2 0 1 19 Slaves
7 in Agriculture; widow of Harbard who died 1815?

Last found c/o son Stith on 1840 census ... not on 1850 census or mortality index for Jul 1849 - Jun 1850

Notes for HARBARD HARWELL:
VIRGINIA (asterisked notes by Charles Harvell)

1780, Jun ?...Robert Owen and Sarah his wife of Brunswick County and HARBERT HARWELL of same...1000 current Virginia money to him in hand paid by HARBERT HARWELL...100 acres in Brunswick...Cuthbert Smith's corner near the road...Reedy Creek...the mouth of Briant's Branch. Witnesses - Henry Bishop and JAMES HARWELL. Recorded 6-26-1780. (Bruns. Deed Book 14, pg 24).***This land is near his father (Samuel, s/o Long Sam) and his brother in law (Robert Abernathy).
***the James Harwell who is a witness may be Major James Harwell, who would be old enough now to do these legal things.
***1000 pounds??? Only 100 acres??? Does it represent inflation during the Rev. War?, Or is there something not mentioned in the deed (of a business nature). Harbert subsequently sold the tract for 70 pounds in 1789, below.
***Just a couple of months prior to this, his father (Samuel) gave Robert Abernathy who married Samuel's daughter Abbey 200 acres (see notes for Samuel) on reedy creek adjoining Cuthburt Smith so this must be in the same area...Why would Samuel give his son-in-law 200 acres and then stand by while his son forked out money to buy land in the same area...granted, the gift was for the daughter Abbey. Perhaps Harbert who is still single at this time was taking over a business in the area and perhaps Samuel gave him the money for the purchase???

1783, Aug 6...Samuel Harwell Sr., HARBART HARWELL, and Samuel Harwell Jr. are the witnesses when Jacob Edwards of Amelia County made a Deed of Trust to DORCAS HARWELL (orphaned d/o Thomas Harwell and Sarah Simmons) for 81 acres.
***I assume that the witnesses are Samuel Harwell (son of Long Samuel) and his two sons.

1784...Harbert marries Anne Westmoreland. Surety was Samuel Harwell.

1784, Spring...LAND & PP TAX REC. OF BRUNS. CO. (St. Andrews Parish).
***HARBARD HARWELL...not listed as a tax payer (no land or pp) but appears on list with his father.

1785, Spring...LAND & PP TAX REC. OF BRUNS. CO. (St. Andrews Parish, Benjamin Blick's Dist.)
***HARBERT HARWELL...(5-2-0-2-5-0)...5 taxables, 2 tithes, 0 white males (16-21), 2 horses, 5 cattle, 0 wheels.

1786, Spring...LAND & PP TAX REC. OF BRUNS. CO. (St. Andrews Parish, Benjamin Blick's Dist.).
***HARBERT HARWELL...(6-3-0-2-7-0)...6 taxables, 3 tithes, 0 white males 16-21, 2 horses, 7 cattle, 0 wheels.

1787, Spring..."CENSUS OF VIRGINIA" / TAX RECORDS (Bruns. County, St. Andrews Parish).
***HARBERT HARWELL...(0-1-4-2-12)...0 white males (16-21), 1 black (16 ), 4 blacks (16-), 2 horses, 12 cattle.

1788, Spring...LAND & PP TAX REC. OF BRUNS. CO. (St. Andrews Parish, Thomas Jones's Dist.).
***HARBERT HARWELL...100 acres...no personal property tax charged.

1789, Spring...LAND & PP TAX REC. OF BRUNS. CO. (St. Andrews Parish, Thomas Jones's Dist.).
***HARBERT HARWELL...100 acres...no personal property tax charged.

1788, May 26...HARBERT HARWELL, Plt vs. Richard Brown Owen and Growner Owen, Dfts. The Dfts not appearing tho solemnly called it is considered by the Court that the Plt recover against the Defts 76 pounds, 16 shillings the debt in the declaration mentioned and his costs in this behalf and expenditures...but this judgement is discharged by the payment of 24 pounds, 17 shillings, and 8 pence with lawful interest from 25th day of Dec 1787 till payment. (Brunswick Order Book 15, pg 20).

1790, Spring...LAND & PP TAX REC. OF BRUNS. CO. (St. Andrews Parish, Thomas Jones's Dist.).
***HARBERT HARWELL...100 acres...not taxed for personal property.

1790, 28 June...an indenture of Bargain and Sale from HERBERT (Harbert) HARWELL and wife NANCY (also mentioned as Anne)... to Frederick Smith ...70...100 acres in Brunswick...adj. Frederick Smith at the Road...Ready Creek...Briant's Branch...(deed signed by Herbert and wife Nancy). Witnesses - James Vaughan, BUCKNER HARWELL, Richard Eakins (Adkins ?). Brunswick Deed Book 14, pg 622).*Recorded 6-28-1790 (Brunswick Order Book 15, pg 374)
*Proved on 9-27-1790 by oath of BUCKNER HARWELL.
*CEH - this appears to be the 100 acres that Harbert bought from Robert Owen in 1780 (above).

1791...Not on Tax lists of Brunswick County, note made of his land sold (above) on the alterations list.

1791, Oct 24 ...Sarah Owen, wife of Robert Owen, this day acknowledged an Indenture of Bargain & Sale from Robert Owen to HERBERT HARWELL, she being first privately examined as the law demands and voluntarily assents thereto. Recorded 10-24-1791. (Bruns. Deed book 15, pg 147).
***CEH - is this the release of her dower to the land that Robert sold Harbert way back in June of 1780? That was 100 acres and matches the property description of the land that Harbert sold to Frederick Smith on 6-28-1790 (see above). Evidently they are taking care of an "oversight" to make the latter sale legal?
*Harbert bought the property during the Rev. War (1780) and things were probably in a state of confusion and inflation, He paid 1000 pounds for it and sold it for only 70 pounds.

NORTH CAROLINA - Lincoln County (Moved there in 1788)

Jul 28, 1789 (Rec. Apr. 1791)
JEMIMA JONES (Lincoln Co.) to HENRY PARTIN (same) for 40 NC money sold 140 ac on W side of Cataba R; border: REUBIN SIMPSON; part of 540 ac granted in 1783 to REUBEN SIMPSON. Signed JEMIMA JONES' mark. Wit: HARBERT HARWELL & FRS CUNNINGHAM. Deed Book 16:65
Aug 26, 1791 (Rec. Apr 1812)
JOHN PINNER and wife WINNEY (Lincoln Co.) to JESSE FEATHERSTON, ROLLY HARVILL, SAMUEL HARVILL, HARBERT HARVILL, WILLIAM DAVENPORT, LEWIS HILL & TURNER HUNT, trustees (same); for 0.5 sold one ac; includes a "preaching" house and all "streams. walks, springs, & privileges" belonging thereto; the trustees are to permit preachers "known by the name" of Methodists and appointed by yearly conference of Methodist Episcopal Church and :"no other" person to enjoy the free use of the premises so they can preach and "expound God's holy word" there, provided they preach only the doctrine in Rev. John Wesley's notes on the New Testament and 4 volumes of sermons; if one of the trustees dies the elders and deacons can choose a successor so there will be seven trustees "forever". [signed] JOHN PINNER'S mark " " and WINNEY PINNER'S mark "X"; witness DRURY MASSEY jurat, ROBERT MILLER, STEPHEN FARIS & GEORGE MCKINNEY. Deed Book 25 p. 299.
Nov 1, 1791 (Wit..oath Apr1796 by JOHN TURBYFILL)
WILLIAM ALLEN, Sr. (Lincoln Co.) to HARBERT HARWELL (same) for 40 NC money sold 150 ac on Beaverdam Br waters of Mountain Cr; border: JONATHAN LONG, JOSEPH ALLEN & "beginning" corner of original survey. signed WM. ALLEN. Witness JOSEPH ALLEN & JNO TURBYFILL. Book 17 p. 412
Nov 1, 1791 (Wit. oath Oct 1797 by JNO TURBYFILL)
WILLIAM ALLEN SR (Lincoln Co.) to JOSEPH ALLEN (same) for 5s sterling sold 100 ac on head of Beaverdam Br of Mountain Cr and waters of Isaac's Cr; border HARBERT HARWELL'S NE corner. Signed WM. ALLEN. Witness HARBERT HARWELL & JOHN TURBYFILL. Book 18 p. 361

Feb 26, 1793 (Wit. oath 1797 by JNO. TURBYFILL)
JOSEPH ALLEN (Lincoln Co.) to MILLY HARWELL. For 50 sold 100 ac on head of Beaverdam Branch of Mountain Creek; border: HARBERT HARWELL'S NE corner. Signed JOSEPH (h.m.) ALLEN. Deed Book 18 p.358
1800 Federal Census for NC/Lincoln, page 861 (an alphabetical list):
Harbett Howell {sic - Harwell} Males: 2 1 0 1 0 Fem.: 1 0 01 0 12 slaves
{Sons 0-10 = Raleigh? & Harbert ... son 10-16 = Coleman ... Wife Ann Westmoreland ... daughter Jane}

May 28, 1799NC/Lincoln County Land Entries, Book 1798-1808 Page 23
Entry #1109 [Granted] - HARBERD HARWELL claims 200a acres on the waters of Mountain Creek . Borders JONATHAN LONG and his (HARWELL'S) own land . Entered May 28, 1799. .{Sold to brother-in-law Harbart Abernathy in 1813}

Feb 6, 1800 Deed Book 25:479 (Rec. Jan. 1813.)
REUBEN ALEXANDER (Lincoln Co.) AARON STACEY (same; for 40 sold 60 ac on W side of Catawba R; border: on W side of JOHN PERKINS' big Br of Mountain Cr, crosses Greesy Br, GABRIEL, & RICHARD ALEXANDER'S old line; "bearing date" [granted] Dec. 20, 1798 to (omitted). [signed] REUBEN ALEXANDER'S mark "R A; witness HARBERT HARVILL [or Harwell] jurat and WILLIAM CONN.
Jul. 30, 1800 (Rec Jan 1813)
RICHARD [sic] ALEXANDER (Lincoln Co.) to AARON STACEY (same); for [amount omitted] sold [omitted] ac on W side of Catawba R and JOHN "PERGINS" big Br of Mountain Cr; border: RUEBEN ALEXANDER; "bearing date" [granted] May 18, 1789 to [omitted]. [signed] RICHARD ALEXANDER'S mark "R A"; witness WILLIAM CONN and HARBERT HARWELL jurat. Deed Book 25 p. 480

Jul 2, 1801 (Rec. Jan 1802)
WILLIAM MAYES (Lincoln Co.) to SAMUEL HARVELL (same) for 25 sold 25 ac on W side of Catawba R; border: "his" shop, HARBERT HARWELL, & a road; "bearing date 1801[granted?] to SAML HARVELL". Signed WILLIAM MAYES; Witness LITTLEBERY TURBYFILL and JOHN TURBYFILL jurat.. Book 20 p. 408.
Nov 10, 1801 NC/Lincoln DB Book 21:113 (Rec Apr 1803)
NATHANIEL EDWARDS (Lincoln Co.) to JAMES EDWARDS (same); for 18.10 sold 30 ac on W side of Catawba R; border: an old corner, HARBERT HARWELL & MCARTER. [signed] NATHANIEL EDWARDS; witness JOHN TURBYFIILL.
Jul. 9, 1805 (Rec. Jan 1806)
JAS EDWARDS (Lincoln Co.) to JOHN EDWARDS (same); for 30.5 sold 30 ac on W side of Catawba R; border: HARBERT HARWELL and MCCORKLE. [signed] JAS. EDWARDS' mark; witness BENJAMIN EDWARDS and THOMAS KERR jurat. Deed Book 23 p. 52
Feb 15, 1808 (Rec. Oct 1810)
HARBERT HARWELL (Lincoln Co.) to THOMAS HARWELL (same); for $60 sold 12 ac on waters of Catawba R; border: an old corner and a branch. [signed] HARBERT HARWELL; witness HARBERT ABERNATHY and FREDERICK HARWELL jurat. Deed Book 24 p. 466

May 27, 1809 (Rec. Jul. 1811)
JOHN EDWARDS (Lincoln Co.) to DANIEL ASBURY (same); for $70 sold 30 ac on W side of Catawba R; border: HARBERT HARWELL and MCCORKLE. [signed] JOHN EDWARDS; witness JOHN TURBYFILL jurat and FRANCIS HARWELL. Deed Book 25 p. 91

Nov 1809 (Rec. Oct. 1810)
MILLEY HARWELL (Lincoln Co.) to THOMAS HARWELL (same) for 50 sold 50 ac on head of Beaverdam Br. of Mountain Cr and water of said creek; border: HARBERT HARWELL'S NE corner. [signed] MILLEY HARWELL; witness HARBERT HARWELL, HARBERT ABERNATHY & FREDERICK HARWELL jurat. Deed Book 24 p. 471
1810 Federal Census for NC / Lincoln Co p.460
Harbert Harwell Males: 2 . . . 1 Females: 1 . . 1 . 20 slaves

7 Oct 1810 (Rec date not noted, but appears to be about 1815)
ELISHA SHERRILL to THOMAS HARWELL, both of NC/Lincoln . $100 in hand paid to ELISHA SHERRILL . 50 acres in Lincoln Co., being part of a tract granted by the State to BENJAMIN STILES 7/19/1794 . Beginning at a white oak on ALLEN's line, the branch bank {and other metes & bounds} . /s/ ELISHA SHERRILL . Wit.: MASON HARWELL HARBERT HARWELL ... Deed Book 26:455

9 Jun 1813 NC/Lincoln Co. Deed Book 26 p.20(Rec July 1813)
HARBERT HARWELL of Lincoln Co NC to JONATHAN JACKSON of same ... $500 in hand paid to HARBERT HARWELL ... 100 acres in Lincoln Co ... Beginning on the {Catawaba} River bank, along the river, {metes & bounds} ... Originally granted by Earl Granville to SAMUEL SHERRILL, by him to FRANCIS CUNNINGHAM, by him to SAMUEL HARWELL SENR. ... /s/ HARBERT HARWELL ... Wit: FRANCIS BIRD COLEMAN HARWELL SAMUEL HARWELL Junr. (This tract was one of the two larger tracts sold by Francis Cunningham in April 1792 to Samuel Harwell, husband of Abigail}

9 Jun 1813 (Rec.date not checked, but probably July 1813)
SAMUEL HARWELL SENR of Lincoln Co NC to JONATHAN JACKSON of same . $600 in hand paid to SAMUEL HARWELL . Two tracts in county aforesaid: The first tract of 103 acres on the west side of the Catawba River originally conveyed by Earl Granville to SAMUEL SHERRILL, and by him to FRANCIS CUNNINGHAM, and by him to SAMUEL HARWELL Senr., and by him willed to the said SAMUEL HARWELL {of this deed}, beginning at a white oak on the bank of the river, HARBERT HARWELL's line, ROBERT ABERNATHY's corner, up the river .The second tract of 25 acres beginning at said HARBERT and SAMUEL HARWELL's corner, WILLIAM MAYS line, by the road south . /s/ SAMUEL HARWELL . Wit: FRANCIS BIRD COLEMAN HARWELL SAMUEL HARWELL Junr. . Book 26 p.41-42. {These two tracts were sold by Cunningham to Samuel Harwell on April 12, 1792, DB 17:16}

15 Sept 1813 (Rec. Jan 1821) Lincoln Co DB 29:487-488
This Indenture made the 15th day of September 1813 Between HARBERT HARWELL of the one part and HARBERT ABERNATHY of the other part both of the County of Lincoln and State of North Carolina Witnesseth that the said Harbert Harwell for and in consideration of the sum of One Hundred and twenty five Pound Currency of said State in hand paid to him the said Harbert Harwell the receipt and payment whereof is hereby acknowledged hath bargained and Sold and by these presents doth grant bargain Sell alien and confirm unto the said Harbert Abernathy his heirs and assigns a certain tract piece or parcel of Land lying in the waters of Mountain creek adjoining Jonathan Long and others Begining at a Black Oak the begining corner of the Original Survey and on said Longs line Runs with said line North 100 poles to a White oak corner then West 27 poles to a Maple on a branch thence North 45 W. 31 poles to a Maple then North 34 E. 34 poles to a Stake on the old line then west 128 poles to a H!
ickory Grub then South 150 poles to a Stake near a post oak then East 160 poles to .....(RH: line missing, dammit) Together with all woods ways waters Mines Minerals Hereditaments to the same belonging on appertaining unto the said Harbert Abernathy his heirs and assigns forever and the said Harbert Harwell for himself and his heirs Executors and Administrators doth Covenant and promise to and with the said Harbert Abernathy his heirs and assigns by these presents to that the said Harbert Abernathy his heirs and assigns shall & Lawfully may from henceforth and forever peaceably and Quietly Occupy possess and enjoy the above mentioned land and premises with every of the appurtenances free and clear of all charges and incumbrances Tax yet to become Execpted and the said Harbert Harwell for himself and his heirs Executors and administors doth warrant & forever defend the said land and premises to the said Harbert Abernathy his heirs and assigns forever from all lawful claims o!
n demands of any means or manner of persons whatsoever In Witness wher
eof the said Harbert Harwell has hereunto set his hand & seal the day & year first above written
Signed Sealed and Harbert Harwell (Seal)
Delivered in the presence of us
Jno Turbyfill State of North Carolina
Francis Asbury Lincoln County January Sessions 1821.
The within Deed of sale was proved in open court by the oath of John Turbyfill
recorded & ordered to be registered Witness Vardry McBee C.C.

TENNESSEE
6/06/1815: TN/Giles Co. Court Minutes
Pg.418 - Will of HERBERT HARWELL dec'd proven by ROWLEY HARWELL and SAMUEL HARWELL, the other subscribing witnesses being dead, handwriting of dec'd witnesses being proved, ordered admitted to record, NANCY HARWELL and COLEMAN HARWELL qualified as Executors ... Executors of will of HERBERT HARWELL dec'd returned inventory of estate.

Pg.429 - Executors of HERBERT HARWELL dec'd returned account of sales of estate.

More About HARBARD HARWELL:
Comment 1: Moved to Giles c1812-13
Comment 2: On Catawba River, NC w/ bros.Sam & Francis
Residence: Brunswick Co.A; Lincoln Co.NC; Giles Co.TN; jACKSON cO. al (6/09/1860 CENSUS)

More About HARBARD HARWELL and ANN WESTMORELAND:
Marriage: Feb 2, 1784, VA - Brunswick County d/o Thomas, dec'd; Sec. Samuel Harwell

Children of ANN WESTMORELAND and HARBARD HARWELL are:
i.COLEMAN3 HARWELL, REV., b. Jul 3, 1789, VA ? NC ?; d. Jan 18, 1841, TN - Buried in Prospect; m. CATHERINE PAINE, Jun 29, 1811, NC - Burke County bond: Meshack Boyce wit: Phillip Austin; b. Jan 5, 1790, NC per 1860 census AL/Limestone; d. Jan 30, 1876, lived w/ son Thos. on 1850 census.

Notes for COLEMAN HARWELL, REV.:
ABSTRACTS FROM WILL WRITTEN 1841 Probated 1841

Executors to pay all debts and to sell the lot of land on which my son Ausborne now lives.

To wife Catherine [Paine] negro named Jesse and wife Peggy, negro man Henry and my woman Vilotte and her daughter Mary and my boy Joe during her lifetime and at her death to be equally divided between my sons Ausborn, Thomas and William.

To son Ausbourn negro woman Candis and her two children, my boy Miles and girl Sarah.

To son Thomas my boys Jack and Willis and my girl Lucy.

To son William my boys Sam, Hugh and girl Martha.

Executors: Ausborn B. Harwell, William M.[McKendree] Harwell.
Witnesses: R.S. Harris, C.L. M. Matlock, James Adkins. Probated 1841.

More About COLEMAN HARWELL, REV.:
Comment 1: Assisted in building Giles' 1st UMC church
Comment 2: Ordained in 1812
Occupation: Methodist Preacher; admitted on trial 1808
Religion: Tennessee Conference; formerly SC Conf.
Residence: Also lived in NC; TN by 1813

More About COLEMAN HARWELL and CATHERINE PAINE:
Marriage: Jun 29, 1811, NC - Burke County bond: Meshack Boyce wit: Phillip Austin

ii.HARBARD HARWELL, b. circa 1800, NC; d. 1869, TN - Giles County; m. ELIZABETH "BETTY" PAINE, Giles County, TN; b. 1802, NC; d. 1875, TN - Giles County.

More About HARBARD HARWELL and ELIZABETH PAINE:
Marriage: Giles County, TN

iii.JANE HARWELL, b. circa 1800, NC; d. Bef. 1842; m. JAMES MCDONALD, DR., their 3 children were raised by Stith M.; d. Bef. 1842.

Notes for JANE HARWELL:
Estimation of Jane's age:
Probably born c1800, which would make her old enough to be reported on the 1800 as an infant, and perhaps not quite yet reached her 10th birthday for the 1810 census. Or maybe the girl on the 1800 died, and Jane was born after the 1800 census.

E-Mail from Roger Harvell 3/08/2000:

Michael, received your package this afternoon, haven't had a chance to get to it yet. Hopefully tonight. Also, got a pack from Polly Carter. She obviously made quite an effort, but nothing really new. Sent photo copies of the November 1824 court record that mentions Joseph, John, and James McDonald. This was included as well:

JANE HARWELL, m. Dr. James McDonald and both of them were deceased by 1842 when Stith Meade Harwell was appointed guardian to the following children:

1. Nancy Ann McDonald
2. Malvina McDonald
3. Mary McDonald
4. Martha McDonald
5. Jonas McDonald
6. Catherine McDonald
7. Selena McDonald
8. Robert H. McDonald
9. Rebecca J. McDonald

More About JAMES MCDONALD and JANE HARWELL:
Marriage: their 3 children were raised by Stith M.

iv.STITH MEADE HARWELL, REV., b. Jan 1, 1807, NC - Lincoln County; d. 1886, TN - Bee Springs or Pisgah, Giles County; m. MARTHA LEWIS BROWN, Nov 6, 1829, TN - Giles?; b. 1810, VA - Brunswick County; d. 1857, TN - Giles County.

Notes for STITH MEADE HARWELL, REV.:
This article is as written by Roy Lee Harwell, I have made no changes!

The Following is a copy of an article concerning the Reverend Stith M. Harwell
(I do not know the author. Evidently written c1886-87 based upon comment by Stith to the writer)
Texas Advocate Martinsville, Virginia Herina Please Copy

Reverend Stith M Harwell as born Jan. 1/1807 Professed having faith in Christ in the fall of 1817. Commenced preaching in 1828. He was happily married in November 1829 to Miss. Martha Brown. They brought us a large and pious family. Three of the children are local preachers. Brother Harwell was a true Methodist Christian of the old type. He did a great work in revival meeting by his prayers and by his councel to penitent sinners. His timidity was alway an obstacle in the way of his pulpit ministration yet he was an intructive expounder of the Holy Scriptures. The faithful and beloved preacher literally "ceased at once to work and live". He died from home, just out of a revival meeting conducted by Reverend W. J. Collier who preached his funeral sermon to a very large consourst of releative and friends.

Deceased said last year to the writer: Every child and every slave of mine who have died, all died in the Christian faith. He had three of (sic - or) four children and quite a number of slaves but became financially embarrassed a few years before the war and had to sell land or slaves but rather than scatter his slaves or run the risk of worsting their condition, he sold a large farm near Mt. Pisgah where he camped for many years and fed hundreds of people. Then the war emancipated his slaves. Still he lived to see each of his living children with a comfortable home.
"Civil War started in 1861 and ended 1865"

More About STITH MEADE HARWELL, REV.:
Comment 1: Raised Jane & Jas. McDonald's 3 kids

More About STITH HARWELL and MARTHA BROWN:
Marriage: Nov 6, 1829, TN - Giles?

6. JESSE2 WESTMORELAND (THOMAS1) He married ELIZABETH GRAY INGRAM.

Children of JESSE WESTMORELAND and ELIZABETH INGRAM are:
i.MARTHA ANN3 WESTMORELAND, b. Sep 1803, Brunswick County, Virginia; d. Koger Plantation, Lauderdale County, Alabama; m. WILLIAM KOGER.
ii.SUSAN INGRAM WESTMORELAND, b. Dec 31, 1804, Brunswick County, Virginia; m. BENJAMIN TAYLOR.
iii.ELIZABETH GRAY WESTMORELAND, b. circa 1806, Brunswick County, Virginia; m. DR.DRURY COX.

Notes for ELIZABETH GRAY WESTMORELAND:
Married second to Martin B. Wood.

iv.HARRIET WESTMORELAND, b. Apr 6, 1808, Nashville, Tennessee; d. Wells Point, Texas; m. NATHANIEL MARKS.

Notes for HARRIET WESTMORELAND:
Married second to John William Tapp.

Important Note: