TNGREENE-L Archives

Archiver > TNGREENE > 2008-03 > 1206361454

From: "Vicki Tesnar" <>
Subject: Re: [TNGREENE] Key Family in Early Greene County
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 08:24:14 -0400

I have no lineage with Key/Keys but hope these might be of some assistance
to someone. All references if from the book TENNESSEE COUSINS, A History of
Tennessee People

pg 314, Notes from the U.S. Census of 1850 Blount County lists:
David Key, aged 57 yrs
Nancy Key, aged 56 yrs
Peter Key, 26
Martha Key, 22
Thomas Key, 20
Nancy Key, 16
John Key, 15

Morrow Marriages on Record in Blount County, TN, pg 319
John Morris to Elizabeth Key, Feb. 3, 1823

History of Monroe County Families Shown in the 1850 Census, pg 357
John Key was a farmer, born Tennessee; age not given.
Margaret Key, his wife aged 48 years.
D.M. Key, lawyer, aged 26 years
Elizabeth Key, age 23 years
Summerfield A. Key, age 14 years

Perhaps the most distinguished member of the KEY family above, was the
son, D.M. Key. This was the Hon. David McKendree Key, who after 1850
removed to Chattanooga (Hamilton Co.,) where he practiced law, and in 1875
succeeded Andrew Johnson in the United States Senate from Tennessee. His
brother Summerfield A. Key, was also a Chattanooga lawyer of great ability.
David M. Key was also Postmaster General of the United States under
President Hayes administration. John Key, the father, was a son of a John
Key, of the same name, who settled in a very early day in Sullivan Co.,
Tennessee. One of the daughters of Hon. David McKendree Key, married Garnet
Andrews, of Greene County, Georgia, who moved to Tennessee, and later to
Mississippi, where he was an outstanding lawyer.

Smith County, Tennessee, The Home of Revolutionary Heroes, pg 649-653 (pg
652 #82) Jonathan Key is buried near Monoville in Smith County.

Some Early Marriage Records in Henry Co., Tennessee, pg 781
John L. Key to Emily Maxwell, February 8, 1848.

Carter County, Tennesse, pg 51
....In 1820 Jeremiah Campbell, William Carter, James Keys, Jonathan Hampton
and Alfred M. Carter were appointed a committee to sell the old courthouse
and superintend the building of a new one.

Johnson County, Tennessee, pg 92
....Other settlers who were there, according to the records, were: James

Jefferson County, Tennessee, pg 106
Jessee Walker - Adminstratio's Sale of His Estate, January 23, 1808, Richard
Hix, who was administrator of the estate of Jessee Walker, sold some of the
property belonging to the deceased. The Purchasers at the sale were:
....Hugh, Keys, ....