TNHUMPHR-L Archives

Archiver > TNHUMPHR > 2010-04 > 1272142592

From: Tony Johnson <>
Subject: [TNHUMPHR] SAmuel Curtis WIlkes CO matching DNA of Eli THomas Curtis
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 14:20:21 -0700

Teresa De Rios Research Notes: Hi Tony,
Yes, Benjamin Ward did married Celia Stewart, dau of John Stewart and Susanna Tanner (married in Chesterfield CO VA probably ca 1748-1750). The Ward family in TN possess a family Bible. I have seen a letter written by John Stewart born ca 1728, in Pittsylvania CO VA dated 1774. He is writing to his father and mother (John Stewart born ca 1700, married Mary Bowman in Henrico CO Dec 1720, dau of Edward Bowman), who were living in Nottaway Parrish, Amelia CO VA (now Nottaway CO VA). He tells of his daughter Celia marrying Benjamin Ward and moving to NC. He also mentions one son had died by drowning and mentions other children, says his wife is very ill (Susanna Tanner Stewart). John and Susanna find themselves in the newly created, Henry CO VA in 1778 and are on tax lists there until the part he own land to is Franklin CO VA. John also own land in Bedford CO VA near the Franklin Co Line. His brother Daniel is also in the same neighborhood and later his brother "Littleberry" joins them. Benjamin Ward, to my understanding is the half brother of Daniel Ward of Franklin CO VA. Benjamin, Daniel Ward along with John Stewart and son and a Peter BLANKENSHIP are together in a 1774 Pittsylvania CO VA tithe list. They were all neighbors.
I cannot say this is my line, most likely not. DNA has been done, but it´s been hard to prove this John Stewart line as he moved with his brother Daniel and kids to Rowan CO NC by 1789. Daniel and his brother John left no known will, and really there are not estate papers to find, we have tried very hard.
Now , Micheal ISRAEL is related to us through marriage . This would be Lee´s direct line through my Stewart line.. Micheal Israel of Albemarle CO moved to Wilkes CO NC, along came a Ballowe/Ballou, Fields, Eppersons. Michael Israel´s son Johnston Israel, had a daughter named Sarah, who married Edward Stewart born 1780, son of Nathaniel Stewart and Mary Bledsoe. Edward had no issue. The Israel family moved to Buncombe CO NC by abt 1790, and we hook up with them about 1810.

HATCHER goes way back to a Steward line in Henrico CO VA,. a John Steward known as "John Steward, the Glover", married the widow Susanna Burton, nee Hatcher. No issue with Steward, they were in they´re 40´s when the marriage too place. I´d imagine John was a widower, and had kids prior to his married to Susanna Hatcher Burton. He drop from thin air and not much info is on him.
The WARD_STEWART connection goes back to the late 1600´s, with one female Stewart marrying a WARD, believe she was a dau of John Stewart JR born ca 1670 and wife Michelle Ballowe. This John Stewart JR was the son of John Steward SR born ca 1634 England,came to VA abt 1668, married a Dorothy (LNU), no will, probably destroyed.
> Back to Hatcher, I think they have more connection to John The Glover Stewart´s line. It is thought that one of his son´s was an EDWARD who married Martha Hatcher. This Hatcher line was connected with the CHEATHAMS , KNIBB families.
> Teresa From:
Nancy Curtis b: ABT 1766 in Ashe Co., NC
Phoebe Curtis b: ABT 1768 in Ashe Co., NC
Susan Curtis b: 1 MAY 1784 in NC
Rachel Curtis b: ABT 1786 in Ashe Co., NC
Mary Curtis b: ABT 1788 in Ashe Co., NC

Bridle Way

Notes; See above Bridle Way is associated with Warrior Gap, Rev. William Dodson Formed the Primitive Baptist Church on Warriors Creek.
Cove, Wilkes Co, NC

We will be gland to share our working Copy of Allied familes of Dutch Buffalo Creek as this is just part of it.

Tony L. Johnson

This thread: