TNMAURY-L Archives

Archiver > TNMAURY > 1999-01 > 0917663992

From: "G Stephens" <>
Subject: [TNMAURY-L] Campbell's
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 1999 20:39:52 -0600

This is my Campbell information. My wife is descended from Grady Campbell,
son of W.C. and Nettie Rivers Campbell. I would appreciate any help you
could give.
The census records at end are just in for reference - I'm not sure (or even
if) they fit.
Thanks
Gene in Clarksville, TN

> Family C A M P B E L L
> (Ancestor) William Clanton Campbell
> (Parents) Louis Gidrell and Opel Dotson Campbell
> (Born) April 23,1879 (At) Hickman County?
> (Died) November 19,1950 (At)
> (Married) December 24,1916 (At)
> (Spouse) Nettie Rivers
> (Parents) John and Caldonia Bryson Rivers
> (Born) March 3,1892 (At)
> (Died) August 2,1920 (At) Hickman County, Tennessee
>Remarks...
> Nettie's first child died in childbirth. The doctor told her not to
> have anymore children that it could kill her. She died with the
second
> child. William gave the child up and went on to marry again. He
was
> married a total of six times. (1)to a Harris woman who died after
three
> weeks. (2)Rosetta Pruitt, married on a Sunday in September 1903,
she
> was born May 15 or 16 and died May 31 when her youngest daughter
was 11
> months old, she was 28 years old (3)Nettie Rivers (4)Seally Breece
> (5)Virgie --- from Lawrenceburg (6)name unknown. William (WC as he
was
> known) died at age 71 years 6 months 27 days. He was a Primitive
> Baptist preacher and started preaching September 4,1926.
>
> WC and Rosetta's children are:
>
> 1.Mary Addie Campbell
> Mary was born June 10,1903 and married to a Meredith.
>
> 2.Flavel Elvis Campbell
> Flavel Elvis was born October 22,1905.
>
> 3.Harry Richard Campbell
> Harry Richard was born April 8,1908.
>
> 4.Ludie Mae Campbell
> Ludie Mae was born May 15,1912 and married to a Bell.
>
> 5.Willie C. Campbell
> Willie C. was born June 17,1915.

> WC and Nettie's children are listed

> 6.Mary Dee Campbell
> Mary was dead when she was born.
>
> 7.Grady Campbell
> See next generation for full chart

> 1900 Perry County Census Civil District 10 Household #43
> Henry N.(H?) Dotson age 37 born November 1862 married 13
years
> Mary E. age 38 born October 1861 5 children 2
living
> Frank age 10 born March 1890
> Ethel Dotson age 7 born May 1893
> William J. Barber age 67 born March 1832, widow
(father-in-law)
> William W. Campbell age 23 born April 1877, widow (nephew)
>
> If Henry N. Dotson and Opel Dotson were brother and sister then
William
> W. Campbell could be the son of Lewis Gidrell Campbell.
>
> William J. Barber might be Jordan Wilson Barber, since he had a
> daughter named Mary E. Barber - idea submitted by Mrs. Essie
Pinegar.

> Family C A M P B E L L
> (Ancestor) Lewis Gridrell Campbell
> (Parents) Duncan and Sally Arnold Campbell
> (Born) February 12,1853 (At)
> (Died) October 1,1932 (At)
> (Married) (At)
> (Spouse) Opel Dotson
> (Parents) unknown
> (Born) December 6,1867 (At)
> (Died) September 11,1933 (At)
> Remarks...
> Lewis Gidrell Campbell was of Irish descendants. Lewis married
first
> to Opel Dotson (51216000) second to a Williams woman and third
time
> about 1899 to Caldonia Bryson ( ). The first three
children are
> by Opel Dotson and the last three are by Caldonia "Doanie" Bryson.
> The only known children are listed below:
>
> 1.Bob Campbell died in 1922
>
> 2.William Campbell
>
> 3.Adie Campbell

> 4.Arnie Campbell
>
> 5.Emma Campbell
>
> 6.John Campbell - John killed himself.
>
> 7.Sadie Campbell
> Sadie was born about 1901 married John Garrett ( ) and had
two
> children: (1)James Garrett ( ); (2)Mabel Garrett ( )
who
> married first to a Reed man and second to a Baskin man.
>
> 8.Bertha Campbell
> Bertha was born about 1904 and married to Paul Chessor ( )
and
> had the following children: (1)Edna Paul Chessor ( )
married a
> Daniels man; (2)John Will Chessor ( ); (3)Vera Nell Chessor
> ( ) married three times, first to a Roland and third time
to a
> Gammons; (4)Jewel Page Chessor ( ) married a Wisdom man.
>
> 9.Elvis Campbell
> Elvis was born March 24,1907 and married Mary Louise Southerland
> ( ) on December 30,1930. Aunt Louise was born May 18,1913.
>
> 1910 Hickman County Census - Beaver Dam Springs Road - HH#186
> Lewis Campbell age 57 married 3 times-present marriage 11
years
> Dona (wife) 45 married 2 times 6 children 6 living
> Nettie (dau) 18 (Nettie and Mattie were Rivers)
> Mattie (dau) 16
> Sadie (dau) 9 (Sadie and the rest of children
> Bertha (dau) 6 were Campbells)
> Elvis (son) 3
>

> (Don't know if this is related or not but am coping it at this
time)
> Found in "River Counties - 1985" page 64 Cude Cemetery Perry
County -

> Rebecca Dodson died December 11,1868 aged 78. This Rebecca was
married
> at least twice: first to a King, one son Alexander King born 1815
and
> died about 1875, and second to a Dodson. She lived Lewis County
per
> 1850 and 1860 census. Her will, written 1861, Lewis County, Proven
1869.

> Melia Adaline Dotson, wife of John H. Dotson, born March 1,1832
and
> died May 18,1903. (She was a Gilmer per marriage 1850 Lewis
County, Tn.
> She was daughter-in-law of above Rebecca.)
>
> Alexander King married to Rebecca T. Sharp born February 1826 and
died
> after 1900, daughter of William and Eliner Sharp. Alexander and
Rebecca
> had at least three children: 1.Indiana King, buried in Leeper
Cemetery
> in Lobelville, Tennessee, married Andrew Cude born January 29,1823
and
> died June 28,1895, son of Horner and Temperance Lomax Cude,
(Andrew
> Cude married first to Martha Crudup, died 1845; second to Caroline
> Crudup died March 1863, sisters.) Horner Cude born 1795 and died
June
> 26,1858, son of John Cude. Temperance Lomax born May 1,1799 and
died
> April 7,1863, daughter of Samuel and Temperance Bugg Lomax.
2.Abner
> King 3.Joshua B. 'Poney' King born September 3,1852 and died
August
> 21,1915 married to Jane B. Baars born November 20,1848 and died
July
> 26,1936, daughter of George and Lena Baars.
>
>Cude, Andrew C.
>Andrew was 1 of 10 children of Horner and Temperance (Lomax) Cude. Horner
>was born in 1795 in Grainger County and came to the Middle TN area when
>about 10 years old. He married Nancy Gordon first. She was the mother of 1
>child. After her death, Horner married Temperance who was a native of
>Georgia. Horner and his family came to Perry County from Hickman County in
>October, 1824. He died in June, 1858.
>Andrew married Martha Crudup in 1845. That same year she died. In 1847, he
>married Caroline Crudup who died in March, 1863.Caroline bore 5 children.
>The third wife of Andrew was Indiana King. They married in 1863 and 9
>children came from this union.During the period of 1853 to 1857, he and his
>family lived in Texas. They then returned to Perry County. In 1864, he
>enlisted in the 9th TN Cavalry. He and his wife were members of the
>Methodist Episcopal Church South.
>
> Family C A M P B E L L
> (Ancestor) Duncan Campbell
> (Parents) unknown
> (Born) January 12,1819 (At) probably North Carolina
> (Died) (At)
> (Married) (At)
> (Spouse) Sarah "Sally" Arnold
> (Parents) James and Mary Arnold
> (Born) March 29,1829 (At)
> (Died) June 12,1902 (At) Tennessee
> Remarks...
> Most of the information below is related to me by Mrs. Louise
Campbell.
> Duncan had a brother named Jim (61787000) who came from Ireland.
(I
> think it safe to assume that Duncan was Irish also). There is a
record
> in Lewis County, Tennessee of Jim Campbell married Sophier Lindsey
by
> E.H. Hensley April 27,1870. I don't know if this is same Jim or
not.
> Most likely the Campbells were Scottish people - as I have several
> articles that talk about the old Campbell clans from Scotland.
>
> The only known children are listed below:
>
> 1.Samuel Levi Campbell
> Samuel was born January 28,1864 in Hickman County, Tennessee and
> died February 21,1927, married December 21,1887 to Ida Bell
Hammond
> born October 26, 1871 and died November 23, 1928. Ida Bell is
>daughter of Nathaniel Hammond, married to Hamet Blackman and Theresa
>Blackman, sisters. Nathaniel was born January 22, 1834 in Graves County,
>Kentucky and died March 3, 1892. Hamet Blackman was born April 9, 1847 and
>died April 3, 1884. Samuel Levi and Ida Bell Hammond Campbells children
are:
>Hettie Miles Campbell born December 27, 1888 (Fulton, Kentucky?) and died
>November 30, 1956, buried in Liberty Cemetery; Della Campbell; Ruth
>Campbell; Leonard Campbell (died as a baby); Clifton Campbell; Wesley
>Campbell.
>
> 2.Joe Campbell
>
> 3.Richard W. Campbell
> Dick was born 1861 and died 1933.
>
> 4.Lewis Gidrell Campbell
> See next generation for chart.
>
> 5.John C. Campbell
> John was born 1856 and died 1875.
>
> 6.George Campbell
> George married Susie Mahaley and he died somewhere in Kentucky.
>
> 7.Frances Campbell
> Frances was born 1858 and died 1947. She married Tom Lynch
> Their children are (1)Lou Fannie Lynch born April 6,1879 and
> died July 29,1921; (2)Johnson Lynch born June 15,1895 and
> died April 16,1920, married Mary Rhoda Halbrooks born July
> 30,1898 and died April 22,1939; (3)Hobert Lynch born 1898
> and died 1917.
>
> Duncan Campbell had a son named Levi - the Samuel Levi Campbell
shown in
> this chart as a son might have been a grandson. This is per
Teresa Eve
> Sadler.
>
> Note by H.D. Duncan: "Mass migration of Scotch-Irish Presbyterians
from
> Augusta, Virginia to the Carolinas in 1765 was led by John
Thompson and
> included the Gilliams, Campbells, and Finley families. Thomas
Gilliam
> was granted 1000 acres along the Meherrin River in Brunswick
County,
> South Carolina next to Henry Briggs. Thomas Gilliam is buried in
> Bullock Creek Cemetery, Spartanburg, South Carolina. Gilliam and
Gillham
> are variations of spelling of same name, with Gillham probably the
> oldest." (added by someone later - Brunswick County and Meherrin
River
> are in Virginia not South Carolina)
>
> 1870 Perry County Census (8th District 73/73)
> M. Campbell 26 M Farmer $400 TN
> Mary 22 F KeepHouse TN
> Henry 3 M TN
>
> 1870 Perry County Census (8th District 85/85)
> (W.R.?) Campbell 28 M Farmer $500, $300 TN
> Susan 35 F KeepHouse TN
> John R. (Price?) 11 M farmer TN
> Betty 9 F TN
> Sarah J. Campbell 3 F TN
>
> (Ruffin Stephens also lived in 10th District, Brush Creek 38/38)
> 1870 Perry County Census (10th District 2/2)
> W. Campbell 50 M Farmer - $900 TN
> Martha 48 F KeepHouse TN
> Elizabeth 22 F TN
> (R.?) F. 18 M Farmer TN
> Mary J. 16 F TN
> Samuel 12 M TN
> Martha 11 F TN
> Lewis 8 M TN
>
> 1870 Perry County Census (10th District 9/9)
> C. Campbell 36 M Farmer $1000, $700 TN
> Elizabeth 27 F KeepHouse TN
> R.C. 1 M TN
>
> 1870 Perry County Census (10th District 61/60)
> (T.?) Campbell 63 M Farmer $1200, $1000 SC
> Nancy 61 F KeepHouse TN
> ?? 31 F TN
> Michael F. 18 M Farmer TN
> Mary (Walls?) 41 F TN
> Ann 12 F TN
>
> Richard Campbell, Sr. born 1758 probably North Carolina, fought in
>Revolutionary War and married Rachel Smith in 1789. They had eight
>children. They moved to Hickman County, Tennessee in early 1800's.
Richard
>died 1844 and Rachel died 1852.
>
> Richard Campbell, Jr. born 1797 in Fairfield County, South Carolina,
>married 1819 in Williamson County, Tennessee to Francis Neely born 1800 in
>South Carolina. Their children were: (1)Richard H. Campbell born 1820 in
>Perry County, Alfred born 1823 in Perry County, Jerry born 1826 in Perry
>County, Asa born 1829 in Perry County, Lucinda born 1832 in Perry County,
>Mary A. born 1834 in Perry County.
>
> Jeremiah "Jerry" Campbell born 1826 in Perry County married to Nancy E.
>Stewart on May 1, 1849 in Perry County. Their children are Sarah E.
Campbell
>1850, Richard C. born 1852 John C. born 1853, Asa born 1854 Thomas H. born
>1856 William Green born 1858 Mary F. born 1861 and Susan A. born 1864.

This thread: