TNOVERTO-L Archives

Archiver > TNOVERTO > 2002-08 > 1028722359

From: David Isermann <>
Subject: [TNOVERTO] Moore, Travis Overton, TN
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:14:29 -0500

Hello,
My wife's grandmother has the Moore and Travis line on her maternal
side and the same Moore line on her paternal side, both the Moore's and
Travis' coming to Livingston Co., IL from Overton Co. TN in the
1830's. From a history of Livingston Co. IL, Indian Grove Twp.: "The
fall of 1831 was when the first white men settled in what is now Indian
Grove Township. The first was Joseph Moore who came from Overton Co., TN
and died in 1851. A. B. Phillips settled the next spring, an old TN
neighbor of Moore. Rev John Darnall … came to Indian Grove soon after
Phillips. Malachi Spence and son James Spence and Richard Moore settled
here a year or two after those mentioned above. The Latter was from
Overton Co., TN and the Spences and Darnalls from KY…. In 1834 another
delegation from Tennessee came out and settled. Frances J. Moore,
Jonathan a brother; Lewis Moore, a cousin and David Travis- these came
together and were from Overton Co., TN. David Travis returned to TN
after a few years, as well as Lewis Moore." The above Jonathan Moore was
my wife's grandmother's gr-gr-grandfather on both her maternal and
paternal side. Jonathan Moore's wife Sarah Patterson died in Overton
Co., TN Sept 6, 1834, before they left for IL. Jonathan was the son of
John Moore of Rutherford Co., NC. Jonathan's daughter Eunice married
Jeremiah Travis in 1844 in IL. Jeremiah was born in Overton Co., TN Aug
24, 1821 the son of Jeremiah Travis Sr. and Margaret Peek. I believe
your gr-gr-grandfather Jesse Travis Moore may have been the son of Lewis
Moore and Sarah Travis. I have no solid proof but a number of family
lines list Jesse's parents as Lewis and Sarah. I think Lewis may have
been the Lewis Moore mentioned in the Livingston Co., IL history who
returned to TN. I have also seen Sarah Travis listed as a sister to
Jeremiah Travis Sr. but I have seen no firm proof of that. I have also
found Jeremiah Travis Sr's father listed as David, possibly the David
who returned to TN. Jeremiah Travis Jr. had siblings John Hinton,
Martin, Susannah, Polly, David, Annie, and Nancy. An Anna Travis b 1810
TN married in Oct 24, 1829 Joseph Moore b 1812 in NC, son of Jonathan
Moore. I suspect Anna was the daughter of Jeremiah Travis Sr.
Jonathan Moore and his brothers George, John, and Francis are in the
1820 Overton Co. census. I have not found any brothers for John Moore
Sr. so I do not know who Lewis Moore's father may have been. The Joseph
listed in the Livingston Co. history is the son of Jonathan who married
Anna Travis. The Richard Moore mentioned in the Livingston Co history
is probably another of Jonathan's sons born in 1810 in NC. . Another of
Jonathan Moore's sons William Potter Moore was born in Overton Co Apr 7,
1831. John Moore Sr. was a Rev War soldier who was living in Orange
Co., NC during the war. According to his pension file he died in York
Co., SC. The Rev War pension of Margaret Peek's father David Peek
states he died in Overton Co abt 1810 and his wife Jane Martin died in
Overton Co Nov 29, 1851. A lot of this may not help you but since I'm
going to post to the list it may help someone else.
David Isermann