TNPOLK-L Archives

Archiver > TNPOLK > 2009-10 > 1255283603

From: "Sandy Newport" <>
Subject: Re: [TNPOLK] Trail of Tears Benge Route
Date: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 12:53:23 -0500

National Park Service Trail of Tears Page

Document*: Historic and Historical Archaeological Resources of the Cherokee
Trail of Tears

At the time of the Trail of Tears Benge Route was being used through
Randolph County, outlying towns and communities such as Pitman, Columbia,
Black's Ferry, and Jackson were fairly well populated areas. The group of
approximately 1,200 Cherokee and their slaves who came through here would
have been quite a curiosity.

Mr. Bennie Jarrett of the Columbia-Jarrett Community recently related the
story of his ancestor watching the sad march slowly move through Columbia.
The sight made a lasting impression and the story was passed down through
the generations of that family. Mr. Jarrett recalled the story in the
"Currents of History" TV documentary last year.

The yellow line on the map below, traveling from the northeast to the
southwest of Randolph County, represents the roadway known variously as the
Nachitoches Trail, The Southwest Trail, The National Road, and the Old
Military Road. It follows the route that was originally an ancient buffalo
migration route and Native American trail from the St. Louis, Missouri area
to central Louisiana (later, also the road to Texas from the United States).
This was the overland route into Arkansas from Missouri and the rest of the
United States from the late 1700s on. The route became the first official
federally sponsored road in Arkansas with improvements begun in 1831. In
1838, this was the route the Trail of Tears took into Arkansas and across
Randolph County.