TNWEAKLE-L Archives

Archiver > TNWEAKLE > 1999-03 > 0920388917

From: "Joe W. Stout" <>
Subject: [TNWEAKLE-L] Stout's of Weakley County
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 1999 09:35:17 -0600

In an email message pj asked if I was related to the Stout's in Martin.
I responded:

All the Stout's in Weakley County are kin. We all go back to Francis Stout
who is buried on his land grant farm about 1/4 mile south of Meridian Church.
Not that close kin to others though. I'm an only child and my Father's bro.
Wiley had 6 girls. Charlotte Stout Reynolds, his daughter, helped produce the
Weakley County Remembered Books. The only other male in my father's family
moved to Johnson City, Tenn when he got out of college.

The only exception to the above on the kin would be any Stout that moved here
in the 1900's and I haven't heard of any of them yet.

I have some interesting stories in my FTM program on the first Stout's to
America. pj suggested I send these in segments. I'll start with Francis
Stout
and his children that were the first in Weakley County.

Generation No. 7

7. FRANCIS7 STOUT (CHARLES6, PETER5, JOHN4, PETER3, RICHARD2, JOHN1) was
born November 14, 1781 in North Carolina, and died 1859 in Weakley county,
Tennessee. He married ANN STOUT 1801 in N.C..

Notes for FRANCIS STOUT:
Farmer at Snow Camp N.C. Migrated to Weakley co. TN. in 1843. Settled on
65 acre land grant farm 1/4 mile S. Meridian Church. Buried beside his
wife on this farm. They were of the Quaker religion. Marker placed at
their grave in 1992 by Joe W. Stout, Charlie Stout and Gene Porter. Land
Grant #9735

Children of FRANCIS STOUT and ANN STOUT are:
8.i.AARON8 STOUT.
9.ii.CHARLES STOUT.
10.iii.HENRY STOUT, b. 1802; d. 1893, Alamance co., N.C..
11.iv.LEMUEL STOUT, b. 1804, North Carolina; d. Aft. 1870.
12.v.LEVI STOUT, b. 1820, North Carolina; d. May 1908, Weakley county,
Tennessee.
13.vi.CAROLINE STOUT, b. June 29, 1821; d. March 14, 1851.
14.vii.JOHN NOBLETT STOUT, b. 1826, Orange co., N.C..

Generation No. 8

8. AARON8 STOUT (FRANCIS7, CHARLES6, PETER5, JOHN4, PETER3, RICHARD2,
JOHN1). He married SALLY DAVIS February 08, 1827 in N.C..

Children of AARON STOUT and SALLY DAVIS are:
i.WILLIAM MCKENZIE9 STOUT, b. 1828.
ii.THOMAS STOUT.
iii.MICHAEL STOUT.
iv.OLIVER R. STOUT, m. ELIZABETH HINSHAW, December 10, 1868.
v.JOHN STOUT, b. 1863.
vi.MARY ANN STOUT.

9. CHARLES8 STOUT (FRANCIS7, CHARLES6, PETER5, JOHN4, PETER3, RICHARD2,
JOHN1). He married MARY ELIZABETH CAPPS August 26, 1843 in Weakley County
Tenn., daughter of HENRY CAPPS and ANNA FLY.

Child of CHARLES STOUT and MARY CAPPS is:
i.NANCY A.9 STOUT, m. AMMON NEWTON COCHRAN.

10. HENRY8 STOUT (FRANCIS7, CHARLES6, PETER5, JOHN4, PETER3, RICHARD2,
JOHN1) was born 1802, and died 1893 in Alamance co., N.C.. He married
SUSAN WELLS February 19, 1824 in Orange co., N.C..

Notes for HENRY STOUT:
Farmer is Alamance co. N.C. , buried with wife and dau. Elizabeth in
unmarked graves, Bethel Meth. cem., Alamance co. N.C.

Children of HENRY STOUT and SUSAN WELLS are:
i.JOHN9 STOUT, b. 1825.
ii.FRANCIS STOUT, b. March 29, 1827; m. MARY E. PUGH.
iii.MARY STOUT, b. April 04, 1829.
iv.JOSEPH STOUT, b. 1831.
v.HENRY CHRISTOPHER STOUT, b. 1833.
vi.ELIZABETH STOUT, b. 1835; d. 1928.

More About ELIZABETH STOUT:
Fact 1: never Married

vii.MARGARET STOUT, b. 1837; m. JOB ALLEN.
viii.CHARLES STOUT, b. 1839.
ix.HANNAH CATHERINE STOUT, b. January 12, 1841; m. WINSHIP PATTERSON.
x.NATHAN STOUT, b. 1845.
xi.LEMUEL STOUT, b. 1848; d. 1935.

11. LEMUEL8 STOUT (FRANCIS7, CHARLES6, PETER5, JOHN4, PETER3, RICHARD2,
JOHN1) was born 1804 in North Carolina, and died Aft. 1870. He married (1)
MARY POLLY CAPPS February 08, 1825 in Orange co. N.C., daughter of CASON
CAPPS and MARY ROGERS. He married (2) SALENA A. Abt. 1850.

Notes for LEMUEL STOUT:
Lemuel Stout was born about 1802 in N.C. He was the son of Francis and Ann
Stout. Francis and Ann Stout had the following children:
Aaron, Henry, Lemuel, Levi, John Noblett, Carolyn (Drewry), Samuel.

Joyce Ford of Texas claims that Lemuel Stout was a full blooded Cherokee
Indian and that Francis and Ann Stout adopted him at an early age. Nowhere
else have
I been able to verify this. It seems improbable because Lemuel was the
executer of his father's will. It would seem more likely an Indian would
not be an executer
with other brothers in the area.

Francis, Lemuel, Levi (my gggrandfather), John Noblett, Caroline, Samuel
migrated to Weakley Co. TN about 1843. Francis and Ann Stout were Quakers
and are buried on their land grant farm about 7 miles SE of Greenfield, TN.

The 1850 census of Weakley Co. shows the following:
Lemuel Stout age 48
Mary Polly Capps Stout age 48
Jane 18
Thomas 17
Emily 15
Henry 14
Sarah 9
Levi 6
John 4
Mary Ann Stout b.1829 married Elisha Fly Capps

Mary Polly Capps was the dau. of Cason Capps b.prior to the revolutionary war.
Cason Capps migrated from N.C. to Nashville TN.
He had the following children who migrated to Weakley Co.
William F., John Roger, Mary Polly, Sarah, Ophelia.

Sometime between 1850 and 1860 Mary Polly died. Lemuel remarried Salena A
Reynolds a widow. 1860 Census shows them in Obion Co. Tn. which joins
Weakley Co. They then migrated to MO.

The Stout ancestry from Francis Stout (Lemuel's father) is the following
Charles Stout 1742-1822 m Mary Noblett1746-1811
Peter "The Quaker" Stout 1715-1802 m 1739 w Margaret Cyfert
John Stout died 1765
Peter Stout 1654-1703 m Mary Bullen m Mary Browne
Richard Stout 1615-1705 m Penelope Van Princen 1622-1732
John Stout England m 11/13/1609

>William Rogers Capps was the brother of Mary Polly Capps. He was married
to Lucy Fly a 1/4 Cherokee Indian. Elisha Capps middle name was Fly. The
area in S.E. Weakley Co. borders Carroll Co. The area they lived in was
called Flytown until recent years. The area just across the county line in
Carroll Co. is Christmasville. I own a farm in that area that has been in
my family since the 1840's. William R. Capps and some of his children are
buried on that farm.

The following is an excerpt from the book, "Tennessee's Last Kingdom,
Skullbone, Tennessee." From "The Diary of Williamson Younger" (1817-1876)

Dec. 20, 1863, Up to this time the Confederates have foraged off me to the
amount of 16 barrels of corn and bread baked for 80 men and fed on me to
the number of between 75 and 100 men and horses. I have not received one
cent of pay from the Confederate authorities. The horse pressed of me
November 30 was sent back in about two weeks. The next day after being
sent back, one Capt. Bray of Henderson County, Tenn., passed by and took
the horse and left an old bay horse worth about $50. I will now put on
record the conduct of six men, calling themselves Confederate soldiers.
Their names as I have been able to learn them are as follows: Capt. White
from about St. Joe, Mo., James Cribs, son of Rev. Cullen Cribs, Gilly
Cribs, son of Widow Cribs, Brown Flippin, Giles Billew (Belew), son of Jo.
Billew (Belew). These four are all of Bibson County, Tenn. Thomas Lewis
of Carrol county, grandso of Annabella Dickson, a near neighbor. These six
men came to my house in the night and tried to rob me of my fine gray horse
Pete. They could not catch him. I out generaled them. Names of more of
the desperate men are Harve Smith, son of Owen Smith of Skullbone. I have
been told that there were one of two others by the names of Smith, all of
Skullbone notoriety. Cal Lusk, son of Byrd Lusk, is no doubt one of the
ring leaders of the gang. Old Byrd Lusk's is their stopping place in this
neighborhood. James Smith, John Smith, Jack Hitchcock, and Pat Mathis.
Old Lem Stout's is one of their stopping places. Wils Baird, Jr., a friend
and a better is of old Jim Baird's family.

More About LEMUEL STOUT:
Fact 1: August 01, 1848, Land Grant from TN #6470. 135 acres

Notes for SALENA A.:
Salena in the 1880 census living in District 14 Weakley Co., TN as head of
household with following children.
Susan 15
Thomas 13
Salena 11

More About SALENA A.:
Fact 1: 1880, census living Dist. 14, Weakley co., TN

Children of LEMUEL STOUT and MARY CAPPS are:
15.i.MARY ANN9 STOUT, b. 1829.
ii.JANE STOUT, b. 1832.
iii.THOMAS STOUT, b. 1833.
iv.EMILY STOUT, b. 1835.
v.HENRY STOUT, b. 1836.
vi.SARAH STOUT, b. 1841.
vii.LEVI STOUT, b. 1844.
viii.JOHN STOUT, b. 1846.

Children of LEMUEL STOUT and SALENA A. are:
ix.TENNESSEE9 STOUT, b. 1852.
x.SUSAN STOUT, b. 1863.
xi.THOMAS STOUT, b. 1865.
xii.SALENA G. STOUT, b. 1867.

12. LEVI8 STOUT (FRANCIS7, CHARLES6, PETER5, JOHN4, PETER3, RICHARD2,
JOHN1) was born 1820 in North Carolina, and died May 1908 in Weakley
county, Tennessee. He married ANNA EARLS June 12, 1843 in Weakley county,
Tennessee, daughter of SAMUEL EARLS.

Notes for LEVI STOUT:
Migrated from Alamance co. N. C. with his father Francis in 1843 to Weakley
co. TN. Settled near Meridian Church.

Levi and Ann Stout gave by deed, their land, to children
John William Stout
Thomas Harmon Stout
Samuel F. Stout
Daniel A. Stout
Granville Monroe Stout
J.A. and Susan Whicker
Fegruary 14,1889

More About LEVI STOUT:
Fact 1: Buried, Meridiam cemetary

Children of LEVI STOUT and ANNA EARLS are:
16.i.ELLEN9 STOUT.
17.ii.MARTHA STOUT, d. 1897.
iii.SOLOMON STOUT.
18.iv.JOHN WILLIAM STOUT, b. October 19, 1844; d. November 13, 1917.
v.HENRY STOUT, b. Abt. 1848; d. Bef. 1850.
vi.SAMUEL F. STOUT, b. 1852; d. 1915, Weakley county, Tennessee.

Notes for SAMUEL F. STOUT:
Willed his estate to his two brothers John William And Thomas Harmon Stout.
Known real estate owned 25 acres deeded to him by Levi Stout on 2/14/1889.

More About SAMUEL F. STOUT:
Fact 1: November 29, 1915, Will made
Fact 2: Never Married
Fact 3: December 10, 1915, Will probated

19.vii.SUSAN STOUT, b. 1856; d. 1890.
viii.DANIEL STOUT, b. Abt. 1863.

More About DANIEL STOUT:
Fact 1: Never Married

20.ix.THOMAS HARMON STOUT, b. Abt. 1868; d. Abt. 1950.
x.GRANVILLE MONROE STOUT, m. NANCY ANN RAY, November 27, 1883.

13. CAROLINE8 STOUT (FRANCIS7, CHARLES6, PETER5, JOHN4, PETER3, RICHARD2,
JOHN1) was born June 29, 1821, and died March 14, 1851. She married SAMUEL
GEORGE DREWRY December 14, 1843 in Weakley county, Tennessee, son of
RICHARDSON DREWRY and MARTHA MCBRIDE.

More About CAROLINE STOUT:
Fact 1: November 14, 1851, after death William Nicholas Drewry was made
guardian o f children

More About SAMUEL GEORGE DREWRY:
Fact 1: December 14, 1843, Married by Rev. Cullen Cribbs
Fact 2: June 09, 1849, died of consumption

Children of CAROLINE STOUT and SAMUEL DREWRY are:
i.JAMES HENRY9 DREWRY, b. September 20, 1844; d. April 18, 1864.
ii.MARTHA ANN ELIZABETH DREWRY, b. November 20, 1846; m. JAMES BENTON
HARRAL, 1868.

Notes for JAMES BENTON HARRAL:
Living in Edgehill Mo. in 1889

iii.MARY ELEANOR DREWRY, b. October 12, 1847.
iv.JEMIMA CORNELIA DREWRY, b. March 31, 1849; d. September 12, 1849.

14. JOHN NOBLETT8 STOUT (FRANCIS7, CHARLES6, PETER5, JOHN4, PETER3,
RICHARD2, JOHN1) was born 1826 in Orange co., N.C.. He married (1) SARAH
ELIZABETH CHILDRESS. He married (2) FANNIE ROGERS.

Children of JOHN STOUT and SARAH CHILDRESS are:
i.DAMIS9 STOUT.
21.ii.BENJAMIN F. STOUT, b. 1848, Weakley county, Tennessee; d. 1884,
Weakley county, Tennessee.
iii.SOLOMON T. STOUT, b. August 10, 1849, Weakley county, Tennessee; d.
December 14, 1924, Weakley county, Tennessee; m. SUSAN HANNAH RICHIE,
October 29, 1879, Weakley county, Tennessee.
iv.CATHERINE STOUT, b. 1854, Weakley county, Tennessee; m. DAVIS RECHIE,
November 29, 1871, Weakley county, Tennessee.
22.v.CHARLES IVORY STOUT, b. August 27, 1855, TN.; d. March 23, 1922,
Weakley county, Tennessee.
vi.JAMES H. STOUT, b. April 02, 1858; d. 1914, Weakley county, Tennessee;
m. MARY CASHON, August 28, 1881, Weakley county, Tennessee.
vii.ELIZABETH STOUT, b. November 22, 1862, Tennessee; d. November 1936;
m. JOSEPH L. RAY, February 27, 1884, Weakley county, Tennessee.
viii.MARTHA STOUT, b. 1864.
ix.WILLIAM LEMUEL STOUT, b. March 05, 1866; d. March 24, 1938; m. JO ANNA
HUSSEY, 1893.
x.JOHN STOUT , JR., b. 1869.

Child of JOHN STOUT and FANNIE ROGERS is:
xi.MARY L.9 STOUT, b. 1877.

This thread: