TNWEAKLE-L Archives

Archiver > TNWEAKLE > 2003-06 > 1055748630

Subject: [TnWeakle] 1836 Sabine Frontier defense by TN Mounted Volunteers
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 03:30:36 EDT

I find listed in Virgil D. White's book, "Index to Volunteer Soldiers in
Indian Wars and Disturbances, 1815-1858," p. 143,

BRANN, James, Pvt., srv in Yoakum's Co of TN Mtd Vols called out for
the protection of the Sabine Frontier in 1836 under authority of Gen'l
Gaines

The name James BRANN leaped out at me since my James BRANN is found on the
1828 Tax List of Weakley Co. TN and on the 1830 Weakley Co. TN Census, as well
as the 1840, 1850, and 1860 Weakley Co. TN Census records.

Searching on the Internet for Yoakum, I find a Henderson Yoakum, as Captain,
Mounted Infantry, July 1836, Seminole War 1836. Apparently there was
recruiting for Indian problems in Florida, as well as for other spots. I also find
that the TN Mtd Vols were Tennessee Mounted Volunteers from West Tennessee (but
with a note that "West" Tennessee included Middle Tennessee).

I also found on the Internet a letter that indicated that some of these
protectors of the Sabine Frontier (and Sabine River, between Louisiana and Texas)
had been recruited from Memphis, TN.

Can anyone suggest where I can find more information about
recruits/volunteers from Weakley Co. TN for these Indian encounters? I would like to determine
if my own James BRANN could possibly be the James BRANN found in Virgil
White's book.

Thanks,
Nancy Brann Alexander

This thread: