TODD-L Archives

Archiver > TODD > 2004-09 > 1095473298

From: "Richard McMurtry" <>
Subject: Re: 37 Todd Families (James Todd of Westmoreland Co. PA)
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 19:08:18 -0700

Here are some census records to go with the narratives on the Westmoreland Co Todds.

In a message dated 9/16/2004 1:20:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, writes:

James Todd was born in 1786, orphaned as an infant, raised in Fayette County

by Duncan McLean, became a county commissioner in 1815, elected to the state

legislature in 1819, admitted to the Bar in 1823, became state attorney

general in 1835, moved to Philadelphia until 1852 when he moved to

Westmoreland County where he died in 1863. According to a county history,

James was born in York Co and his parents came to Fayette County and died

there the year he was born. An internet source says that James was son of

Henry Todd of Chanceford, York County.

This may be the James Todd that I found in St. Clair Cemetery (Hempfield Township, Westmoreland County, near Greensburg) while looking for something else entirely. Note that these stones are laying face-up now in a gravel bed in an attempt to preserve them a little longer, but they *were* badly eroded. I did the best I could with what I had.

Stone transcriptions:

James Todd

b. Dec. 25, 1786

d. Sept. 3, 1853

Jane Miller Todd

b. Jan. 16 (6?), 1802

d. Oct. 2 (?) 1892

James Todd, Jr.

b. May 7, 1832

d. July 14, 1888

Eliza Jane Todd

b. Jan. 25, 1830

d. Feb. 6, 1872

Elizabeth S. Todd

b. Dec. 21, 1827

d. Sept. 1 (4?), 1847

Hope it helps someone somewhere....

Melissa Strobel

Household:

Elizebeth TODD Self W Female W 59 PA Keeping House NJ PA

Samuel F. TODD Son S Male W 28 PA Farm Lab PA PA

Danniel M. TODD Son S Male W 22 PA Lab PA PA

Elizebeth TODD Dau S Female W 20 PA At Home PA PA

Lorra TODD Dau S Female W 18 PA At Home PA PA

James TODD Son S Male W 26 PA At Home PA PA

Source Information:

Census Place South Huntingdon, Westmoreland, Pennsylvania

Family History Library Film 1255204

NA Film Number T9-1204

Page Number 235B

1850 census Philadelphia PA

James Todd 64 Atty at Law PA

Jane 48

Eliza J 20

James 18 Student at law

Anna 15

Henry 16

Hampton 5

Mary Jane Forest24 b Ireland

1860 Hempfield, Westmoreland Co, PA

same as above except Henry is Harry

Note that the other key Westmoreland Todds are the Rostraver Twp Todds: A Robert Todd buys land there in 1794.

In 1820 There is a Robert Todd in Rostraver Twp census: 22010-10040. Burt he doesn't appear there in 1810.

Here they are in 1860

Robert Todd 50 PA farmer

Henrietta 35 PA

Anna 6 PA