TOUCHSTONE-L Archives

Archiver > TOUCHSTONE > 2000-06 > 0960286004

From: Mavis Mims< >
Subject: Re: [TOUCHSTONE-L] Touchstone-Touchton surname - MD-SC-GA-FL
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 06:06:44 -0400

David,

You have a great website. Thanks for sharing your information, and correction
on Daniel (Tootchstone) being the s/o Daniel..
With both my immediate (Ma, Touchton & Pa, Tomlinson) lines, my documentation is
stuck in Rev. War era in SC.
Tomlinson and Touchstone siblings married siblings - ergo, I'm my own 5th
cousin.
I think these two surnamed immigrants came into the US in the MD (or with
Tomlinson, perhaps NJ)
areas.
Most of my information (very little documentation) came from notes and papers
that my uncle Archie Touchton, who collaborated with Judge Folks Huxford in
Clinch Co., GA, had in the documents he left when he died. I have managed to
fill in some data from census and other records. These are mostly descendants
of James and Rebecca Hutto of SC.

In one of the letters from F.Morris Touchstone, he said he was planning a trip
to England (1954), and would research the name while he was there. He was
especially interested in the coat of arms that my uncle had. I have copies of
two, which I think are bogus. I was hoping the Herman Touchstone name would
ring a bell with someone.

Are you familiar with a booklet written by Mary Eleanor Williams Sandel in 1972?

In trying to compile her lineage names, and the ones you mention on your
website, I came up with two Richard & Sarah Touchstones in my files.
She was the d/o Ella Touchtone, and her lineage seems to be:

Ella Touchtone b. 19 Jan 1902 New Orleans, La
Christopher Columbus Touchtone b. 27 Jun 1868 Lowndes Co., GA
Henry W. Touchtone, Jr. b. 1826 Lowndes Co., GA
Henry W. Touchstone, Sr. b. 1790 SC or GA
Richard Touchstone & Sarah Johnson (c1752?)
I have this note for Henry W. Touchstone, Sr.:
"If the above Henry was born in 1790 as per Touchtone Book by Mary Eleanor
Williams Sandel, he could not be the son of the earlier Richard, who died in
1763".
There is at least a generation between this Richard and Sarah, and the one
below!

Richard (from above), was son of?
Frederick Touchstone & Rosanne Ashley -
Frederick Touchstone was son of?
Richard Touchstone (c1694-1763 & Sarah Johnson m. 1716/17 in MD
Note: Birthdate is an estimate using marriage date minus 22 yrs. I don't know
where I got a death date for him - may be buried in some file somewhere.

I would be happy to send you, or anyone else, notes (mostly from Huxford
publications) on these early Touchstones in my files - do you want a Gen. Report
or a Gedcom (Family Tree Maker)? I prefer to ZIP these large files before
e-mailing them. Of course there is no proof of accuracy in most of my
information.

Mavis

This thread: