TOWNSEND-L Archives

Archiver > TOWNSEND > 2000-04 > 0955716563

From: "Jody Fisher" <>
Subject: Re: [TOWNSEND] Re: TOWNSEND] 1786-1844 Marriage Records of Madison County, Ky
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 05:49:23 -0700

Betty and Rosemary,

I'm looking through my information on Thomas Townsend. I have the
"Townsend's Mountain Book" and the "Roger's Family Book" and I haven't seen
any mention of the Townsend's coming from NY to VA only speculation that
they were possibly from VA. We have Garrett listed as being born in NC but
I have not seen the proof of that yet. I'm going to add below what I have
collected on Thomas Townsend.

Thomas Townsend son of James and Rhoda Townsend born 1760. Lived in
Boonesborough, KY.

Children of Thomas Townsend (no wife listed for Thomas who was she?):
John (L. or S.) Townsend born 1798 married to Betsy.
Joshua Townsend.
Cinderella Townsend married May 14, 1811 to Thomas Huff.
Nancy Townsend married to Mr. Wilson
Patsy Townsend married to William Hicks
Hiram Townsend
William Townsend.

NOTES I have collected on Thomas Townsend:

Thomas Townsend born 1760 came to Kentucky in 1782. Believed to have come
from North Carolina with Daniel Boone. Also, believed to be Thomas Townsend
listed as a resident of Boonesborough. In 1783 made a trip to South Fork of
the Kentucky River with Colonel Estill and Captain Hackett apparently as a
militiaman. Gave this information in a deposition in a land grant dispute
in October, 1818 in Richmond, Kentucky.

He was living at Station Camp in September, 1836. This information came
from records of land sold to a Turner Parks for $850.00 by Thomas Townsend.

This information came from C.E. Bush a grandson of Sidney "Shug" Townsend
and Author of Townsends Mountain where this infomation was taken.

The following information is from Don Wallace 10905 Mariner Dr., Ft
Washington, MD 20744 email information received
September 1998:

Don found at the library in Independence, Missouri:, MORGAN COUNTY MISSOURI
ADM'S & PROBATE, 1834 TO 1843, WILLS, 1835 TO 1870. In probate proceedings
on March 6, 1838, the administrator "in his account settled with the estate
of Thomas Townsend shows payments and credits to; Archibald Woods, Cynthia
Huff, Isham Hatfield, John S. Townsend, Joshua Townsend."

The probate proceedings continued. In February term in 1843, Thos.
Townsend's heirs have sued the administrator. "The suit is to show case why
he should not inventory the sum of $425.00 with three years interest on a
note at 6% annum which amount the administrator has received and collected
from Turner Park of the state of Kentucky on a note taken in the name of
Hiram Townsend and John S. Townsend two of the sons of Thomas Townsend
dec'd, which was for land sold by Hiram and John S. as agents for Thomas
Townsend."

(note: Kentucky obtained statehood in 1792. By 1808 fifty counties had been
formed in KY. Estill was formed from the counties of Madison and Clark in
1808. Most of the territory that is now Kentucky was at one time a county
of VA which was called Fincastle. On Dec. 31, 1776 it was called KY Co. Nov
1, 1780 KY was formed into 3 large counties, Lincoln, Fayette and
Jefferson. By 1792 nine counties had been formed. )

Thomas Townsend

Estill county Crcuit Court Records
Compiled by: Edward Puckett
Transcribed, courtesy of Ellen Rogers
Published by:
The Estill County Historical and Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 221
Ravenna, KY 40472-0221

Court Records for Thomas Townsend

(NOTE: Thomas Townsend is referred to as "Captain Thomas Townsend" and
another record mentions his move to the state of Missouri.)

Page 113 Volume 2: 27 Sept. 1830, Reuben Stivers and Milly his wife VS
Francis Stone, slander, ruined her good name and reputation and to bring
her into disgrace by saying that Milly was a dammed liar and a dammed old
whore. Sues for $2,000, Jury find for defendant, foreman Samuel Plummer.
Statement of Francis Stone saying he was surprised at the trial between
Reuben Stivers and wife and Mary Ann Stivers that he did not anticipate the
interduction of the evidence. Wittness for Stivers, Thomas Townsend, Joshua
Townsend, Richard West. (Clark) Thorton Stivers (Madison), Benjamin Baxter,
William Wells, Daniel Todd, William Pitcher, Mary Ann Stivers (Estill),
Peter Alumbough, Thomas Noland.

Page 142 Volume 2: 8 March 1831, Thomas Townsend VS Zachariah Moreland,
purchase on 26 Sept. 1829 from Moreland 159 acres on Station Camp Creek,
gave Townsend a bond to make a deed for the $400 consideration money, $200
has already been paid. Does not give the boundary but discribes where now
said Moreland now lives. When registering the contract, he showed your
orator a fine spring, body of rich land. Did not get spring or rich body of
land, charges defraud. Property was where james hendricks formerly lived.
Wittness for Townsend, James Hendricks, Joseph Scrivner, John Cox. Dep. Of
John Cox Q. Did Moreland tell you he sold the spring. A. He told me he had
not thinking at the time expecting Asa Witts. Said he expect some dispute
about the spring of his selling it without exceptions. Question by James
Scrivner, Q. Did you hear Townsend say the spring was no difference as he
had springs a plenty. A. He stated that if the spring belong to Witt he did
not want it. Dep. Of John Richardson Jr. was called on by Captain Thomas
Townsend to show him the lines, he bought of Zachariah Moreland, but left
out a strip of land worth $5 per acre and a spring. Dep. Of John Richardson
Sr., states he was with Moreland and Townsend, and Townsend was very
particular to tell Moreland not t show him land that was not in the survey.
Dep. Of Robert McFarland, states fencing out the spring would be a
disadvantage of $20. Dep. Of Nathan Witt, states he is aquainted with the
spring and it is worth about $20. Moreland was represented by James
Scrivner and John Hendricks. Bill in chancery was published in Farmers
chronicles for 2 months. Saying Moreland was a non inhabitant of the
Commonwealth.

Page 105 Volume 1: April 1833, William Bowen VS John H. Riddle, Robert
Clark and A.W. Quinn as arbitrators and Ansil Daniels as umpire in case.
Case involving from a partnership in the Bowen Tanyard. Receipts for hides
and accounts accredited to each other. Note from John Riddle to Wm. Boian
for $150 dated 10 Sept. 1830, receipt from Moab Freeman for $2.00 dated 26
Dec. 1831. Article of agreement between Riddle and boian (Bowen)
partnership in the tanning business. At Tanyard formerly occupied by J. W.
Moore and T. Lane, yard belongs to Riddle and Bowen to superintend and
carry on the business. Account charged to firm by Wm. Boian one hat bought
of Jacob Miller $4.50, one pair of shoes bought of john Hendricks $1.50,
one calf skin and one deer skin $1.37, making a pair of shoes by D. H.
Walton $.50, one set of plates bought of M. G. Mize $.75, one tin bucket of
Joseph Wilson. Receipt for (corn) from different people, Jefferson
Hockersmith, Thomas Townsend, Ebenezer Wilson, Thomas H. Moreland, Joshua
Finna, Gabriel Jones, Ebenezer Park, (pork) Wm. Richardson, E. Wilson, Wm.
Benton, Adam Riddle, (beef) D. H. Walton, Wm. Coleman, Wm. Richardson,
Account paid to people with occupations, leather to John Jones for making
rails whiskey barrels of Josh Finney, leather to A. Bates for shoe makings.
Cash receipts paid 1830 to, Tolson Rogers, Patrick Hamilton, John Walker,
James Scott, Thomas S. Price, Thomas Miller, Thomas and Spencer (up the
river) Joseph Wilson, Daniel Henderson, Abraham Sencer, Silas Henderson,
Samuel Plummer, John G. Boyd, Sam Black, Isaac Mize, Joseph Muck, Issac
Mize (for one barrel of fish oil) G. Coyle, Berry Strange, James Moore,
John Jones, B. Broaddus, another account not dated, James Scrivner, Morgan
Jamerson, Wm. Fisher, Argelon Price, Wm. Lane, Joseph Walker, John York,
Aaron Reader, Adam Riddle, Squire Finna, Edward Barns, Wiiliam Kindred,
Oliver Crawford, Bright Berry Gentry, Wm. Mize, Joseph Scrivner, D. H.
Walton, Middleton Gimerson, A. Q. Riddle, Wm. Benton, Robert Shanks, James
Linch, John Durbin, Frank Jones, Jesse Coyle, Isaac Henderson, Joseph
Kelly, Wm. Moore, Joshua Mize, Hezekiah Bowman, Louis Barnet, Tobias
Reynolds, John Walton, John West, Nathaniel Moore, (notes) John Hall, A.
Bowman, Wm. Powell, George Sheffield, Wm. McKay, Barnett Owens, M. G. Mize,
Account paid in cash to Elisha Kerby, Wm. Moore, Robert Riddle, George
Kerby, John Jones, John Walton, D. H. Walton for peeling tan bark. Eli Park
and Simeon Skinner for hauling with oxen, also James Benton, Thomas Miller
and Frank Jones for cutting wood to make lime kilm. One dollar to Samuel
Hugh brining hides down the river. Richard Miller and Bethel Baxter for
grinding bark, (dismissed).

Page 103 Volume 1: 7 July 1836, Power of atty. From Thomas Townsend about
to be removed to state of Missouri do nominate my son Hiram Townsend my
atty. To sell my farm.

Abstracts of Deeds and Mortgages 1808-1871
Estill County, Kentucky
Volume 1,2,3,4,&5

Compiled by Ed Puckett
Prepared for publication by: Norwood Thorpe
For
The Estill County Historical and Genealogical Society
Post Office Box 221
Ravenna, Kentucky 40472-0221

Page 96, Volume 1: 9 Sept 1836, Thomas Townsend, John S. Townsend, Josuha
Townsend, Sinderilla Huff. Nancy Wilson, William Hicks and Patsy his wife,
received $850 from Turner Park, for 159 acres on Station Camp Creek, on a
branch in West's line, with his line SW 120 poles to a stake in Mayo's
line, with Mayo's line SW 120 poles, then SE 60 poles to a white oak near
Station Camp Meeting House, corner to Kerby and White heirs, with heirs
down the creek 71 poles NW to the mouth of Spring branch, up the branch
West 44 poles to forks of branch, then NW 18 poles to a spring, etc. [Bk F,
P 201]

Estill County Kentucky
Circuit Court Records
Volume 1984
By Ellen Rogers
840 Doe Creek Road
Irvine, Ky.
606-723-3806
&
Diane Rogers
185 Sycamore St.
Stanton, KY. 40380
606-663-2946

Page 550 Volume 6:

Solomon D. Parks VS Winny Parks F. 15 Sept 1858. Solomon Parks, Emaline
Wages and her husband Sidney D. Wages, David Parks, Louisa Parks, and
Arnold Parks, and Mary T. Parks. In the summer of 1844, Turner Parks
departed this life intestate leaving the def. Winny Parks, his widow.
Solomon D. is a brother to Winny. The estate indebted $936.05 1/2. Solomon
sues for sell of land for debts. To come out of the south west sale.
Solomon Jr., is willing for Solomon D. to be paid. Indiana 9 Sept 1836,
Thomas Townsend, John L. Townsend, Joshua Townsend, Cinderella Huff, Nancy
Wilson, William Hicks, and Patsy Hicks, his wife, sold to Turner Parks for
$850.00, land on Station Camp Creek. Boundary line: Station Camp meeting
house corner, to Kirby, White heirs, and down creek to Spring Branch. Winny
agreed that Solomon D., her brother, should be paid. Winny's deed to
Solomon boundary beginning opposite the center of the wagon rd. leading
from Station Camp to Richmond to Ebenezer Wilson line of the Morton M.
Price survey, 50 acres.

Joshua Townsend

Estill county Crcuit Court Records
Compiled by: Edward Puckett
Transcribed, courtesy of Ellen Rogers
Published by:
The Estill County Historical and Genealogical Society
P.O. Box 221
Ravenna, KY 40472-0221

(NOTE: I believe that Joshua is son of Thomas Townsend and a brother to
John Townsend and Hiram Townsend.)

Records for Joshua Townsend

Page 113 Volume 2: 27 Sept. 1830, Reuben Stivers and Milly his wife VS
Francis Stone, slander, ruined her good name and reputation and to bring
her into disgrace by saying that Milly was a dammed liar and a dammed old
whore. Sues for $2,000, Jury find for defendant, foreman Samuel Plummer.
Statement of Francis Stone saying he was surprised at the trial between
Reuben Stivers and wife and Mary Ann Stivers that he did not anticipate the
interduction of the evidence. Wittness for Stivers, Thomas Townsend, Joshua
Townsend, Richard West. (Clar) Thorton Stivers (Madison), Benjamin Baxter,
William Wells, Daniel Todd, William Pitcher, Mary Ann Stivers (Estill),
Peter Alumbough, Thomas Noland.

Page 139 Volume 3: 1 Nov. 1833, Allen Baker VS Emanuel Kelly, note for
$60.31 1/4, payable to Robin Dillion on 3Aug. 1832, assigned note to Baker
on 14 July 1832. Note wittnessed by Joshua Townsend.

Abstracts of Deeds and Mortgages 1808-1871
Estill County, Kentucky
Volume 1,2,3,4,&5

Compiled by Ed Puckett
Prepared for publication by: Norwood Thorpe
For
The Estill County Historical and Genealogical Society
Post Office Box 221
Ravenna, Kentucky 40472-0221

Page 28 Volume 2:

7 March 1838, Joshua Townsend, Nancy Wilson, William Hicks and Patsy Hicks
his wife and Isham Hatfield and Patsy Hatfield his wife of Missouri,
received $850 from Turner Park, for 159 acres on Station Camp Creek. (Bk F,
P 546)

Page 103 Volume 1: 7 July 1836, Power of atty. From Thomas Townsend about
to be removed to state of Missouri do nominate my son Hiram Townsend my
atty. To sell my farm.

Well that was long winded and probably contained information I'm not
supposed to pass around the internet (I'm not sure of copyright laws but I
try to document where all info comes from. But.. as you can see Thomas is
still living after his father James passed away. He did move onto Missouri
though. So if Thomas is in fact brother to Garrett and son of James I'm
still wondering why he is not listed in James's will.

I have access to Estill County court records and land abstracts and deeds
if there is anything you would like for me to look up.

Jody

----------
> From: Betty Haley <>
> Subject: [TOWNSEND] Re: TOWNSEND] 1786-1844 Marriage Records of Madison
County, Ky
> Date: Tuesday, April 25, 2000 2:35 PM
>
> Jody and Rosemary,
>
> I cannot vouch for this, as I haven't seen it and do not know what source
> was used for the information, but supposedly in "The Rogers Family" by
> Rogers and Rogers it is stated that James Townsend arrived in NY from
> Scotland or England and migrated to Va, where he married Rhoda ?? and
that
> they then moved to NC and later to Ky. Because of his will, we
definitely
> know that James died in Clarke Co, Ky, because his will was probated
there
> on 23 Dec 1796.
>
> Now, if I understand it correctly, "The Townsend Mountain Book," by
Claude
> Everett Bush, states that Garrett/Gerrett (James Garrett) Townsend had
> brothers Oswald and Joshua. And the book also states that Garrett and
his
> brother, Thomas Townsend, were in the company of 30 men who accompanied
> Daniel Boone from Rowan Co, NC to Ky in 1775 and that their names are
listed
> on the DAR marker at the site of what was Fort Boonesborough (now Fort
> Boonesborough National Park) as being among the first settlers there.
>
> The 1775 date is right for being the time when Boone went to Ky, as this
is
> when Richard Henderson, who had founded the Transylvania Co, had
initiated a
> legally "iffy" purchase from Chief Dragging Canoe and the Cherokees in
the
> Treaty of Sycamore Shoals in which the Cherokees received trading goods
> valued at 10,000 pounds sterling, and in return, ceded to the
Transylvania
> Co the territory between the Kentucky River and the highlands south of
the
> Cumberland and a strip of land between the Holston River and the
Cumberland
> Mountains. Henderson then sent Boone and a company of men to establish a
> fort in the area.
>
> I think the Townsend Mountain Book also mentions that Thomas Townsend,
and
> his brother, Garrett, made a trip up the South Fork of the Kentucky River
> with a Col Estill and Captain Hackett as militia men. If this is true,
then
> it could explain what happened to Thomas Townsend, and why he is not
> mentioned in his father's will dated 1794, as on 22 Mar 1782, James
Estill
> and a contingency of his men were attacked and killed by Indians on
Hinkston
> Creek, about 2 miles from what is now Mt Sterling, Ky.
>
> I only have a partial listing of the 135 persons mentioned in depositions
> given at Richmond, Madison Co, Ky in 1801, 1806, 1807, 1808, 1811 and
1814
> by Boonesborough pioneers regarding their arrival there, but it shows
that
> Oswald Townsend, a surveyor arrived in 1775 (indicating he came with the
> original Boone party) and Joshua Townsend, who arrived Dec 1781.
However,