Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2007-12 > 1198039534

From: "Elizabeth Shown Mills" <>
Subject: Re: [TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM] Introductions
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 22:46:25 -0600

Christy wrote:
>As far as I am concerned your input would be ideal. I have to admit that
seeing you posting on this list is akin to seeing the Beatles in their day.
:) Will flattery get me everywhere? But seriously I think it is so
wonderful that you are willing to help others coming up the ranks.

Thanks, Christy, for the kind words, but I'm immune to flattery <g>. What I
love (whether I'm sitting in my BCG chair or my personal one) is to see an
inquisitive mind, to hear a researcher explain the depth to which they
probed a problem, and to meet other genealogists who insist upon drawing
their conclusions from quality evidence.

Lee asked:
>In addition to the [suggestions made in an earlier posting] what other
advice would you give to someone who is unable to participate in a formal
program? And do you have any recommendations for how one might make the best
of an independent study situation?

Lee, let me think on this overnight. A few comments are below, but your
question needs more than this.

Angela added:
>You mentioned that some IGHR courses would be better preparation for
certification. Could you let us know what those are?

That's a decision that varies according to individual need, Angela. A U.S.
researcher who has not taken the NGS Home Study course (or its equivalent
elsewhere) would likely benefit from Lloyd Bockstruck's Intermediate
Genealogy course (Course 2). Someone who wants to specialize in military
research, for example, would benefit greatly from one of the courses that
feature Craig Scott or Rick Sayre. Someone who *has* taken the NGS Home
Study course and wants to strengthen their skills as a problem-solver
typically signs up for my Course 4 (Advance Research Methodology and
Evidence Analysis). Someone who has done all that and feels a need to
develop their writing skills would sign up for Tom Jones's Professional
Writing class (Course 6). Those who want guidance with building a sound
professional practice would turn to Elissa Powell's Professional Practice
class (Course 6 in alternate years). Etc.

At BCG, we find ourselves often reminding applicants that there is no
one-size-fits-all model. The same is true for educational preparation.
Because there are so few formal programs in genealogy, we all learn in bits
and pieces and we all have serious gaps in our learning, but only we know
where those gaps are--until and unless we submit work samples to
more-seasoned genealogists for peer-review. Short of that step (which is
really what the certification portfolio is all about), the only way to fill
those is to try to critically assess ourselves against the learning
opportunities that are available (by subject, reputation, and by expertise
of the instructor) and then decide which options would give us the most
"bang for the buck."

Elizabeth

---
Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG, Ombudsperson
Board for Certification of Genealogists

This thread: