Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2007-12 > 1198261414

From: "Melissa Barker" <>
Subject: Re: [TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM] Promoting Ourselves
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 12:23:34 -0600

Dear Kay Armstrong,

Hello, Thank You for your kind words, they are very much appreciated.

This also brings up something else I do to generate clientele. I offer to locate and copy original Tennessee and Kentucky death certificates for the very low fee of $5.00 each plus a SASE. If the person has the exact date of death, this is all I charge. If the person does not have an exact date of death I charge my regular $15.00 document fee.

I don't know if this concept is in the "professional genealogist handbook" or not, but I see it as a gimmick or offer to entice more clients. The death certificates for these two states are very easy for me to access and they are arranged in such a way that they are very easy to locate the record and make the copy. So, I chose this group of records to offer to people at a very low fee. This concept almost 100% of the time brings me return clients for more death certificates or even other records and hourly work. These clients will also tell their friends and then those friends will tell other friends and so on.

This may not work for everyone, but it works very well for me. Especially since the state archives charges $20.00 per death certificate for the out of stater and $10.00 per record for the in-state person.

I guess what I am saying is that you sometimes have to think outside of the box. The genealogical profession in a lot of ways is like most all professions. You have to get your name out there and be known for something unique for people to notice you. In some circles I am known as the Death Certificate Lady, kind of morbid, but hey if it brings clients my way I don't mind being known as the Death Certificate Lady! LOL!!

Sincerely,
Melissa Barker
Genealogist for Tennessee and Kentucky

This thread: