Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2007-12 > 1198433138

From: "Elissa Scalise Powell, CG" <>
Subject: Re: [TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM] Planning for certification
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 13:05:38 -0500

First I want to share with you that my children were 9 and 6 when I prepared
my certification portfolio. It was over Easter when they were home and I had
religious obligations. I was able to pull the portfolio together in 3 weeks
because I had most of the elements in my file drawers. I wanted to see if I
had been working to standards and so submitted two client reports, and the
other 11 elements including document work, etc. (the requirements for the
old CGRS at the time). So it is possible to do with proper planning.

Debbie, Your plan for eating the certification elephant is exactly what we
recommend. Get the proper materials and start, THEN send in your preliminary
application to start the one-year clock and receive the BCG-supplied
document. However I would like to correct one impression about purchasing
the Application Guide alone vs. the Application Packet. At
http://www.bcgcertification.org/catalog/index.html you will see what each
looks like. If you purchase the guide alone you will need to send in an
additional $45 when you are ready to submit your preliminary application.
The Preliminary Application alone (not the purchase of the guide) triggers
the one-year clock, plus your subscription to the newsletter _OnBoard_, and
the office sending you a document as part of requirement 3. The packet
includes the $45 preliminary application fee along with a past issue of
_OnBoard_ (value $5), the $13 Application Guide Book, and the $15 1-year
subscription to _OnBoard_. Add those up and you can see the value.

Either way you go, the _BCG Application Guide_ gives the step by step
instructions (cross-referenced to the _Standards Manual_) on what you are to
place in your lightweight notebook with dividers. You can begin by getting a
notebook and 7 dividers for the 7 steps and then just work on one section at
a time. A checklist is a great idea to keep track of things. You can see
real portfolio examples at
http://www.bcgcertification.org/certification/sampleapp/sampleapp.html.

Perhaps make a date with yourself on a regular basis to work on the
portfolio telling family that this is "your time." If you want other tips,
the BCG Certification Seminar given at the 2007 NGS conference in Richmond
session T-211 (two hours) is available on CD-Rom at
http://jamb-inc.erikbuschardt.com (as are the other sessions from that
wonderful conference.)

Speaking of learning opportunities, this is another inexpensive option to
attending conferences. Buy the syllabus from sponsoring organization and the
recordings from their contracted taping company. You will then have about
half of the conference experience in your hands (the other half is being
interactive with the speaker and rubbing elbows with fellow genealogists in
the classes, halls, and lunches, not to mention the always free-to-enter
exhibit hall.)

Best,
Elissa
BCG Booth Coordinator

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
www.PowellGenealogy.com

Certification of Genealogists used under license after periodic evaluations
by the Board.

This thread: