Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-02 > 1202597602

Subject: Re: [TGF] A transitional-genealogist's viewpoint onProfessionalGenealogy
Date: Sat, 09 Feb 2008 16:53:22 -0600

Melissa --

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. I really don't know which side of the fence
I'm on here (it's kinda prickly sitting on these pickets, though!), so it helps
to hear from someone who does know. I won't go on except to clarify one point:

> What could the good doctors do about the bad
> ones, absolutely nothing.

200 years ago, that was true. But now doctors can do plenty about the bad ones -
- kick them out if necessary -- and that's one of the things that makes
medicine a profession: certified professionals control entry to it. (That, BTW,
is one reason why my former occupation, journalism, is not a profession.)

The issue here isn't whether we *could* do it or not. Obviously it's possible,
since other professions have done it. The question on the table (for which I
don't have an answer) is:

Should genealogists even *want* to organize themselves professionally with a
view (long-term) of being able to do something about the inevitable bad eggs?

Now I promise to listen and learn and reply to Dee Dee's survey!

Harold

Harold Henderson
Research and Writing from Northwest Indiana

home office 219/324-2620
http://harolddaily.blogspot.com/
http://midwesternmicrohistory.blogspot.com

This thread: