Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-02 > 1202627974

From: <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Mary Petty - atransitional-genealogist'sviewpointonProfessional Genealogy
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 01:19:34 -0600

Mary wrote:
> My father in law and brother in law are both MD and refer to their
> industry as Medicine. They also call it a profession.

Mary, I would say that I'll match your two MDs and raise you a few other
family professionals in the various fields we've all talked about today--but
I would suspect you could match those as well and we'd end up with a draw.
<g>

When you say that your family MDs "refer to their industry as Medicine," are
you saying they refer to their medical practice as an "industry." There's a
difference in the way those words are phrased.

There is, indeed, an industry side to medicine itself--insurance companies,
hospitals, drug manufacturers, etc.--that doctors are intimately involved
in; but the doctors (and nurses) I know still draw a very definite line
between the production/supply side and their own profession.

Similarly, there is a business or commercial side of education. Colleges and
universities have a significant business operation underpinning the
educational process. Still, outside the administrative offices of those
institutions, the practitioners of the learned fields don't refer to their
activity as an industry. They may study industry, but they, themselves, are
considered professionals.

>From the many postings you, Jim, and Jeanette have made on APG-L, I sense
you are trying very hard to instill the idea that genealogy is a
*business*--not just a hobby or something someone does once or twice a week
for pin money with little concept of standards or professionalism. I commend
you for that. I totally agree with you that a successful professional
practice has to be underpinned by not only expertise in the discipline but
also sound business practices. Otherwise, the professional practice won't
survive economically. But the fact that a professional must know sound
business practices doesn't turn the professional practice into an industry.
(Obviously, I'll still stick with the distinctions observed by Webster and
the OED :).

Elizabeth

This thread: