Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-02 > 1202932587

From: Dee Dee King <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] viewpoint on Professional Genealogy
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:56:27 -0800 (PST)

Elizabeth and Elissa - well said. Starting a new business endeavor requires an entrepreneurial spirit and dedication. Some business principles are universal and apply to a genealogy practice. Everything you'd need to do for other new businesses, you need to do for this one. And Elizabeth is so right, almost all new businesses do not last five years, with most failing the first year. Most businesses do not see a profit for 3-5 years. Almost all successful entrepreneurs plow income back into improving the business during the first few years. It's scary stuff.

Some of the hurdles are caused by that elephant - we don't see how or where to start the small bites. If we had "grade levels" like in school, we'd be taking courses on schedule, with tests and feedback. We'd know "where we are" in comparison to others in the upward movement towards professional standards. We'd know if our work compared to that of a "freshman", "sophomore", "junior" or "senior". Or if our profession offered something like apprentice, journeyman and master level practitioner - then we'd have steps with standards at each level by which to measure. I think what scares us most, is not knowing where we are realistically.

The business end aside, when we look at the professional standards in Pro Gen and BCG guide and manual, it's a very personal decision whether we decide it is too much and not worth the effort, or that we have to figure out the best route to bring ourselves up to the standards - bites of the elephant.

Best regards,
Dee