Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-02 > 1202941691

From: "Christy Fillerup" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Viewpoint on Professional Genealogy
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 15:28:11 -0700

Elizabeth,

You are absolutely right, I do often wonder how I will know when I am ready
to take on clients. Because of that I am working toward BCG Certification.
I'm a perfectionist, and it will probably not happen until next year, but I
am hopeful that it will happen. While I work on my certification portfolio
I plan on taking on small client jobs and record look-ups - ease into the
shallow end of the pool. I am absolutely confident that BCG Certification
is the right choice for me, I will learn so much through the process, and it
will give me the validation that I need. The opportunity to have some of my
genealogy idols review my work and make suggestions is something I simply
can't pass up.

To all those who have chosen not to pursue BCG Certification or ICAPGEN
Accreditation I want to make it clear that I in no way think that choice
bears on the quality of your work, or your right to be a professional
genealogist. If a genealogist's work product is good, it will speak for
itself, regardless of who has reviewed it. If their work product is not,
their reputation will suffer, and so will their business. I believe it is
the job of every professional genealogist, as well as APG, to educate the
public on what they should look for in good work product. If this is done
correctly an educated public should be able to make their own educated
choice of professional.

Christy Fillerup