Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-05 > 1212123669

From: Kathy Rippel <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Nurse Child
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 00:01:09 -0500

The term "wet nurse" applies to a woman who breast feeds a child that
is not her own. To do so she must be lactating.

Although there are situations where a lactating woman has not been
pregnant recently, the odds seem to be that she has had a child at some point.

What I am ultimately trying to point out is that, yes, "nursing a
child" does not need to mean breast feeding. But "wet nurse" (second
pertinent paragrah below)does indicate breast feeding.

At 07:21 AM 5/29/2008, you wrote:

>(Note any questions marks are courtesy of AOL: I didn't put them there)
>In Victorian England, the term "nursing a child" did not necessarily
>mean breast-feeding. They could have just been caring for the
>child.? Probably the term 'nursery' comes from the same root, to care for.?
>? Therefore, the woman needn't have been pregnant recently to work
>as a wet nurse.
>In Alice in Wonderland, they use the term "nursing" when the Duchess
>is holding the baby who turns into a pig.? It just meant holding the
>child, rocking? it in one's arms to soothe it, etc. ? You can
>imagine the questions this brought up when? I read this as a child!
>Jan Hall
> with the word
>'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
>Checked by AVG.
>5/26/2008 3:23 PM

Kathleen Reid Rippel, MLS
Great Bend, KS

Member: Association of Professional Genealogists (APG), 2005-2008 ;
Heartland Chapter of APG, 2008.

Checked by AVG.