Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-07 > 1215862824

From: "Trevia Wooster Beverly" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM Digest, Norton Self Update
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 06:40:24 -0500

This came in from my computer guy. Yes, I'm having problems as well. But
getting ready for a conference next week I just don't have time
to stop and deal with it. So since we all seem to use something different
it must be ** Microsoft (see below) **... He had an attachment but too
large for the group; I will forward to anyone interested.

Trevia

Sent: Thursday, July 10, 2008 5:50 PM
Subject: UPDATE: If your internet quits working today or tomorrow, it is
because a Microsoft update knocks out the internet

First of all let me say that this e-mail can be ignored "unless your
internet quits working".

Actually the update knocks out the internet only if you are using Zone Alarm
as your firewall program. Zone Alarm put out a fix today (see below).

Below in Green is the text from yesterday's e-mail I sent out

If your internet quits working today or tomorrow, it is because a Microsoft
update knocks out the internet:

Go to add/remove icon in your control panel and uninstall the Microsoft
update KB951748 which will be one dated in the past couple of days.

We are getting so many calls on this, it is driving us crazy. So, before
you do your updates...now, you know how to fix it should it happen to you.

The problem was with Zone Alarm. Apparently, only those who use Zone Alarm
as their Firewall program had this problem. Zonealarm has fixed their
problem:

Zonealarm has just released a fix that resolves the Microsoft Patch error.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

Here is a direct link for download:

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/1025_zl/zlsSetup_70_483_000_en.exe