Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-08 > 1219215257

From: "Elissa Scalise Powell, CG" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Certificate in Genealogical Research
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 02:54:17 -0400

I did say it would be taught "at Boston University." At the moment being a
brand spanking new program, it will be taught on campus in Boston,
Massachusetts, for the Spring and Fall semesters. Its fate will depend on
the success of those two on-campus semesters.

The training will target adults seeking to augment their job qualifications
or to develop their genealogical skill set for personal or professional
development. The audience of this course are those in New England (or anyone
willing to commute to Boston at this time) who want or need a Certificate in
Genealogical Research. No prior genealogical experience will be assumed,
although students may have backgrounds in librarianship, archival
management, teaching, historical research, paralegal and legal, medicine,
biology, or other related fields.

The faculty has been asked to participate with the idea of teaching the
standards of our field and with the elements of good genealogical
principals: goals, ethics, problem-solving, research design, evidence
evaluation, report writing and the Genealogical Proof Standard. The business
side of genealogy of will also be taught as will Forensic Genealogy (heir
searching, etc.) and Ethnic and Geographic Specialties.

This unique program will certainly allow you to become familiar with your
own strengths and weaknesses as you transition from hobbyist to
professional, and then fill in those gaps for you through instruction,
examples, exercises, reading assignments, etc. Hence the reason I brought it
to the attention of this Transitional Genealogist Forum.

Any other questions?

By the way Boston University will have a booth at FGS in Philadelphia coming
up in 2 weeks.

-- Elissa in Pittsburgh (who is commuting to Boston only for the first two
Saturdays of the course)

Elissa Scalise Powell, CG
www.PowellGenealogy.com
Certification of Genealogists used under license after periodic evaluations
by the Board.

This thread: