Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2008-12 > 1229620947

From: Melissa Barker <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Social Security Question, Update
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:22:27 -0600
References: <COL117-W77F23A71A1567B7A6275E0ACF50@phx.gbl><>
In-Reply-To: <>

Thanks Dee! I have decided to not send for the SS-5 application. I have all the information that the application would have provided and it is all documented already.

I am the type of genealogy researcher that wants to know everything I can about my ancestors and their lives no matter how mundane or oridinary, not just dates and places.

This side of my family that this person belongs to is one that there is no one alive that knows anything about them. I feel like I am the only person researching this particular line of ancestors and so I feel a great responsibility to "get it right" for future generations.

With that in mind, I try to research out every aspect of my ancestors lives and this "old age pension" was one of those aspects.

Sincerely,Melissa BarkerGenealogist for Tennessee and KentuckyWebsite: > Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 06:42:13 -0800> From: > To: > Subject: Re: [TGF] Social Security Question, Update> > Melissa, I missed part of this thread. What is it you hope the SS info will show? Where she was born, her parents, where she lived when she applied, her birth date? There won't be much more than that. If you already confirmed her parents, birth date and place, I'd save the effort. However, I would check court records as some counties in some areas had pension payments approved by county commissioners, or the local equivalent. Also, as a matter of pride, many older folks used to call their welfare checks "old age pensions", even up into the 1970s and 1980s when I was in social services. > > best regards,> Dee> > > > > > > Melissa Barker asked:> > Now, my next question. Should I go ahead and request a search for a SS-5 application? While there is no evidence that my great-great grandmother even had a social security number, in fact, death documents state no social security number available. Should I take the step and pay the $29.00 to request a search? Would like to know what everyone else would do in this situation.> > > > > -- > Dee Dee King, Certified Genealogist > > > > CG - Certified Genealogist is the service mark of the Board for Certification > of Genealogists®, used under license by professionals who pass periodic > competency evaluations by the Board.> > > -------------------------------> To unsubscribe from the list, please send an email to with the word 'unsubscribe' without the quotes in the subject and the body of the message
Send e-mail faster without improving your typing skills.

This thread: