Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-01 > 1232636119

From: "Christy Fillerup" <>
Subject: [TGF] Market Research Refined - Identifying the Client
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 07:55:19 -0700

Taking a little from the responses so far, perhaps we can frame the
discussion in segments. I think LeRoy's thoughts on eating the elephant one
piece at a time were spot on. For the purpose of this segment let's focus
just on research. We can follow with a discussion of teaching, lecturing,
and writing, if there is interest.

So let's start with defining who pays for genealogy research.

According to Elissa's response Natasha Crain has given us a detailed list of
who the genealogy consumer is likely to be.

Dabblers

Casual Seekers

Affluently Curious

Targeted Seekers

Avid Hobbyists

Professional Genealogists

Family Connectors

History Preservers

Attorneys

Gift Givers

Now I obviously don't want to step on Ms. Crain's toes by discussing in this
manner. Even her outline is helpful, I can only imagine how wonderful the
presentation will be. But in the mean time, what are your thoughts on the
groups above. What are the pros and cons of each type of consumer?

My own thoughts are that Professional Genealogists are the easiest to work
with. I often subcontract and I enjoy it immensely. There is an expectation
of excellence, but then we should be creating excellent work no matter who
we are working with.

Obviously the Affluently Curious present an interesting market as they have
the money to spend. However in my experience outside of the genealogy world
this group also tends to be more demanding and may not like the results
found if, say, the immigrant ancestor was an indentured servant. Now of
course this is a broad generalization.

I'm still noodling on the rest of the categories. What are your thoughts?

And an additional pondering--which of the groups above will care or know
about genealogical credentialing? And should they be educated more fully?

Whew!
Christy

This thread: