Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-02 > 1235323804

From: Amy McDaniel <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Frustrating research weekend
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 12:30:04 -0500

Nicole, you have my sincere sympathy. Confrontational encounters like the
one you experienced can set up my hackles and frustrate the thoughts right
out of my head. The first time I visited a repository, another patron
unloaded his personal irritations in my direction. I was 21 and horrified!
Fortunately, I noticed that the other patrons were looking askance at his
loud criticisms, so I realized that his behavior was unjustified.
Happily, I've never had a confrontation like that since. However, I do dress
professionally and exhibit all the patience I can find when I visit research
facilities, so perhaps those superficial qualities help to prevent arousing
the ire of the more irritable persons a researcher can encounter.

Amy McDaniel
Chantilly, VA

On Sun, Feb 22, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Nicole La Rue <> wrote:

> Sorry if this may be considered OT but I figured maybe some of you here
> would have had experiences like this in the past.
>
> I'm used to being the youngest one in the genealogy section of libraries
> and LDS Family History Centers but this weekend went far beyond that. I got
> yelled at by ladies at the local library and the Family History Center this
> weekend because apparently the women thought that I wasn't there for the
> right reasons. I tried to explain that I was there for research but in
> response, I got some snippy and even sarcastic explanations for their
> actions. I always get looks when I walk into a genealogy section and people
> always assume that I'm lost or completely confused with everything, and I've
> gotten used to that. But I actually got yelled at this weekend for looking
> at a "Genealogy Computer" at the library and for waiting for the LDS door to
> be unlocked which is really beyond being treated like a 5 year old. I get
> it, I'm 29 years old and look like I'm 13 but really. After working at NARA
> for 2 years, having a BA in history, and attempting to start
> a professional genealogy career I get tired of the looks and the
> condescension and now being berated for even being in the genealogy section
> of the library. It's extremely frustrating. Granted, I haven't met hardly
> any other 20-somethings that are into old cemeteries and genealogies,
> "micro-history" as is being discussed in another topic on the APG list but
> it would be nice to be treated as an equal every so often.
>
> Just another reason why I'm anxious for the conference in Raleigh this
> year. Hopefully I can find some other "young-ins" to swap stories with. :)
>
> Thanks for listening to me vent,
> Nicole LaRue

This thread: