Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-03 > 1236827789

From: Janis L Gilmore <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Report writing (was Pro bono in South Carolina)
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 20:16:29 -0700

Thank you, Elizabeth.

I am in the habit of writing research reports to my own files, but I do not
have experience in writing a client cover letter, etc. So I'm a little
nervous about that part.

I am not on the clock yet, but am working to get my ducks in a row. Much of
my time has been spent doing the "exhaustive research" necessary for the
kinship project. The client report has been a niggling worry in the back of
my mind. I hope to start the clock by the end of the year.

My thought was that I could do several pro bono client reports, and hope
that one of them seems to work well for this purpose. Since I live in
coastal South Carolina, and very little of my personal research is centered
in this state, the practical experience of resources in this state would be
broadening. (An add-on benefit!)

Alternately, I have considered going to a county list, and offering my pro
bono services in an area with which I am quite familiar, just prior to a
research trip. Your comments make me think this might be a good back-up
plan.

Janis Walker Gilmore