Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-03 > 1237070989

From: "GeneJ" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Citations -- Newspapers and Census Images
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 15:49:49 -0700

I don't recall adding both the city and the county, generally, to the name
of the newspaper. If the city name isn't apparent from the title, I add the
state, or if not apparent, also the city, all in parens, and only in the
citation. I report the state name (or state then city) separately in the
bibliography.

Maybe my practice developed differently because I see the newspaper's name
more akin to a trademark/business name/dba (pseudo-) name, as opposed to a
municipality or even a physical address.

Separate from clipping files, I pull a lot of newspaper items now from
www.genealogybank.com. In that case, I'm almost always able to view the
front pages and the "Nameplate." As a rule of thumb, I add the location
given in that nameplate.

Perhaps off topic, but do remember researching for the details of an Iowa
paper once, only to learn that the such and such city Express (or such)
wasn't even published in that same such and such city. Believe in that case
also, I only inserted the state in the citation.

Hope this helps. --GJ