Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-04 > 1240492526

From: Janet Tanksley <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Fathers and Rulers petition
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 09:15:26 -0400

I heard back from the Library of Congress which confirms what you (y'all)
had discovered.

This is in response to your inquiry about abolition petitions presented to
the House of Representatives before 1840.

Records from the House of Representatives can be found at the National
Archives, http://www.archives.gov, and not the Library of Congress. We
searched the Archives "Guide to Federal Records in the National Archives of
the United States," < http://www.archives.gov/research/guide-fed-records >,
and found a number of entries from the Congressional records that refer to
abolition petitions:
<http://www.archives.gov/legislative/guide/house/chapter-24-legislative.html>;;
< http://www.archives.gov/legislative/guide/house/chapter-22-1789-1847.html>;;
and
<
http://www.archives.gov/legislative/guide/house/chapter-13-territories.html>;.

We would suggest you contact the National Archives Center for Legislative
Archives for help with your research: see <
http://www.archives.gov/legislative/ >. The National Archives also has two
regional centers in Morrow and Atlanta, Georgia which might have copies of
some of these materials: see < http://www.archives.gov/southeast/ >.

We hope this information has been useful.
Public Services Division
Law Library of Congress