Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-06 > 1244945802

From: "Michael Hait" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Survey of Slave Surnames
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 22:16:42 -0400

Thank you for responding, and I understand that you will not be able to
respond to the survey immediately -- this will probably apply to quite a few
researchers (hopefully, someone will still spread the word; I'd hate for
this study to suffer from poor timing.)

To provide a little more information about my own study of Prince George's
Co., Maryland, slaves:

The starting point of my research was the "Slave Statistics." In 1867, the
General Assembly of Maryland created a county position called the
"Commissioner of Slave Statistics"; each county appointed its own
Commissioner. The purpose of the Commissioner was to enumerate (much like a
census) each slave owned by each slaveholder in their respective counties,
as of 1 November 1864, when the new state constitution abolished slavery
within Maryland. I have completely transcribed the original Statistics for
each slaveholder in Prince George's Co., Maryland, that are available at the
Maryland State Archives. This accounts for just over half of the slaves
(over 6,000) enumerated in the 1860 federal census (just over 12,000).
These Slave Statistics were then recorded in a separate register book, that
holds many additional records no longer extant. I have not yet transcribed
these additional records, as I am working with the originals first. (Don't
want to bite off more than I can chew at one time.)

I have already located several hundred of these former slaves in the 1870
and 1880 census records, using the same names as were recorded in the Slave
Statistics. I have taken several families further forward, and have several
dozen death certificates, funeral home records, land deeds, several Civil
War service records and pension files, Freedman's Bank and Freedmen's Bureau
records, etc. Eventually I would like to account for as many of the former
slaves as possible.

I am also transcribing the estate inventories/sales and chattel bills of
sale for Prince George's Co., to trace these former slaves to previous
owners as well. I am also recording what I can find concerning

Certainly, it is an ambitious project, but hopefully it will be a
contribution to the overall literature on the subject. It will likely take
a few years before completed.

Michael