Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-08 > 1250960236

Subject: [TGF] Are research reports published?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 09:57:16 -0700

Are research reports ever published in article form?

Research reports as described on the BCG site (
http://www.bcgcertification.org/skillbuilders/worksamples.html ).

A research project can vary in size. Small ones might be close to
article length. Not sure, because the ones I write for myself use
abbreviated citations, and I haven't collected all the pieces into the
report (abstracts, transcriptions, etc). Probably means I'm not writing
research reports. <g> I find writing them for myself to be extremely
helpful in my research process. I don't use them at the 'close' of a
project. I use them when I think I've finished a specific phase, or if
I feel I've reached a point where I should seriously reflect on what I'm
doing in that piece of research. I suspect 'project' or 'assignment'
could be used to refer to research on many scales, resulting in
publication in many forms at different times in the research process.

Anyway, I would like to read research reports of other researchers,
preferably ones with proof arguments. Peer-reviewed, hopefully. And I
would be very happy if they were relatively short--article length, not
multi-volume book length.

I've been participating in a NGSQ Study Group for about a year. I've
found myself experiencing the same dissatisfactions each month, across
the range of articles/authors on our discussion schedule. I finally
realized much of my reoccurring dissatisfaction is because the articles
on our schedule were not the kind I would most like to read. There's
probably little wrong with the articles other that my expectations don't
match their purpose or scope. I'm looking for our field's equivalent to
academic journals where a researcher publishes research results without
the restriction of creating an 'essay'. I think the research report
scope may come closest to what I'm seeking. Primarily because ALL
findings should be included in a research report, not just ones
necessary for the reader to understand the problem posed in a journal
essay, as advised in the description of the NGSQ editorial process (
http://www.ngsgenealogy.org/galleries/Pubs_files/3.1.1_Editorial_Process.pdf
).

This is not to say I don't enjoy reading the articles that are printed.
I do! And I have been learning a lot from reading case studies! Case
studies, as I'm finally beginning to understand them and what they're
supposed to include (and exclude), are a great way to focus one's
attention on the author's analytical process, which is what the Lichtman
model is all about. It's just that I'd like to also read articles
reflecting the purpose of a research report.

Thank you for any advice you all can provide regarding where I might
look.

Linda Gardner
Massachusetts

This thread: