Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-08 > 1250981410

From: Tom Jones <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] Are research reports published?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2009 18:50:10 -0400

To Elizabeth's excellent advice I would add that in some circumstances
it is possible to craft part of a genealogical research report, to
oneself or to a client, in the form of an essay that is a viable
submission for a scholarly genealogical journal. My article in the March
2009 /National Genealogical Society Quarterly/, "Logic Reveals the
Parents of Philip Pritchett of Virginia and Kentucky," is an example of
a scholarly article that arose from a client report. I structure my
reports in several parts, including a brief undocumented "executive
summary," a detailed thoroughly source-cited essay explaining the
project's conclusions, and a roughly chronological
repository-by-repository listing of sources with annotations, abstracts,
transcriptions, and photocopies --- raw and partially processed data.
The Pritchett article came from the essay part of my report to Mr.
Pritchett. After tweaking that section to bring it closer to an article
style, I submitted it with the client's permission. The journal's peer
reviews and meticulous editing process led to further improvements. The
published article, however, still closely resembles the essay portion of
my report to Mr. Pritchett. Another example, for a different client, is
my "Dilley of Northern Virginia and Ohio: A Proposed Solution Hanging on
a Single Word," /The American Genealogist/ 79 (July 2004): 220--27.

From time to time you will see articles based on client reports in
/NGSQ /and other scholarly genealogy journals. They are recognizable
when the author acknowledges the client's agreement to publish the
information. Such articles are more likely possible when the reports are
of the analytical variety, presenting the solution to a complex problem,
rather than a simple report of sources found or information they
contain. /NGSQ /is most interested in publishing analytical essays when
some aspect of the essay will interest readers having no special
interest in the family or region. Other journals, especially those with
a regional or state focus, have different restrictions, and they may
serve as a "journal of record" for findings regarding the state's or
region's families. My view is that any research that advances knowledge
should be published. Consequently, genealogists seem remiss when they do
not seek publication of their research results, whether personal or for
clients, in appropriate venues. All research fields bear an obligation
to publish new findings, and genealogy beyond the hobby level is such a
field.

While some academic fields publish relatively unprocessed data, my view
(after a career in academia) is most academic journals want processed
data discussed in the context of prior research and with implications
for current practice and future research. They also want some discussion
of sampling, data collection, instrumentation, research design, and data
processing -- all sufficient for other researchers to replicate the
research and its results. In a very broad sense, academic essays address
criteria analogous to those applied to the genealogical articles most
Litchman-type groups are studying. ---- Tom