Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-10 > 1256227831

From: "treviawbeverly" <>
Subject: Re: [TGF] house abstracts
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 11:10:31 -0500

I have an abstract on land that goes back to a Stephen F. Austin grant. The
abstract was made when my great-grandfather died and the estate had to be
divided. Even divorces in the family are noted!

States give various documents with land/house transfers - some "free" or
included in the cost and others you can purchase from the title company.
Title companies have extensive libraries (archives/files) and some will let
you do your own research and make copies ... some will charge a hourly fee
to use their files. So you just
have to do some investigating.

I'm familiar with the AASLH; they have a lot of wonderful technical leaflets
that are useful to genealogical researchers. http://www.aaslh.org/

Check in with our Texas Historical Commission -
http://www.thc.state.tx.us/ - even if you're not in Texas.
Click on Historic Properties and it will lead you to, among other things,
the National Register of Historic Places. Don't overlook the fact (happened
in my husband's family) that someone restored the old homestead and got it
registered.
Then click on Markers and Designations - a variety of items but note the
"Recorded Texas Historic Landmarks" brochure - direct at
http://www.thc.state.tx.us/publications/booklets/RTHLbook01.pdf
It has a nice listing of "Further Assistance" information.

You may not be applying for a historical marker but you can use the ideas
for researching your homestead property on your own - Under the Markers and
Designations, click on "Markers" and note "Marker Research Guides" then on
"Houses and Buildings." Also check on "Marker Toolbox" - some good research
ideas.

Trevia Wooster Beverly
Houston, Texas