Archiver > TRANSITIONAL-GENEALOGISTS-FORUM > 2009-12 > 1260830384

Subject: [TGF] Anyone Using Genealogy Software?
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 2009 14:40:49 -0800

I use Family Tree Maker (FTM) 2006 and 16 (depends on what computer I am on) the most. FTM is what I started with over 10 years ago, so I have stuck with it.
BUT I didn't upgrade as the upgrade doesn't seem to handle transitioning things like Joe Blow Jr. or Joe Blow VI
AKA don't import
FTM doesn't have over 99 generations
You can't go back once you upgrade as the newer versions are totally different. Design and layout is different as well.

I also use Ancestry.com software that as far as I know, no longer is sold since they merged with genealogy.com and both now promote FTM

My husband also wrote me a few programs that work in conjunction with FTM which made some things easier.

I mainly use FTM to store peoples names, dates, sources and notes...sometimes a photo.

Jill
www.ultimate-genealogy.com Research
www.jillsgenealogy.com Information